IGNORED

Frankie signs a new contract (Merged)

I Am A Cider Drinker

Good news, congratulations Frankie. He’s had a few wobbly moments so far this season but that number 1 spot is still his, and will likely be for the rest of the season.

More importantly though this signals that we, as many expected, are talking contracts with players early enough so we don’t risk losing them for peanuts, who is next then? And who is the most important one to tie down? 

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/fielding-pens-new-city-deal/

I've seen a mixed reception to this news through social media.

Anyone who doesn't recognise this guys ability and the performances he has put in for this club is a fool. 

Its quite easy to pick holes in his distribution (overly exacerbated at times), but at the end of the day, his job is to stop balls going into our net, something he has been very good at during his time here. He's kept us in games countless times, and that's just this season. 

It's rare that fans forget how many goals/ assist players get, but it's often that fans forget a goalkeepers contribution. This is certainly true when it comes to our fans and Frankie. People will forget his heroics at Brentford, but will happilly hammer him for kicking the ball out of play against Millwall.

Anyway

Delighted with the news and fully deserved. 

Putting aside any debate about his rating as a keeper (FWIW I think he's underrated generally on here)

Absolutely delighted for him and his family - Seems happy here and does some magnificent charity work and a top top bloke

So if it gives him some security and his stability for him and his family - Good , well deserved

The amount of keepers that he’s seen off here and the success that we’ve had with him in the team, sometimes goes unrecognised, when people judge Frankie. 

For a couple of unquestionable flaws, he’s been fantastic for us and I’m really pleased he’s been rewarded. 

Well done Mad Frankie..!

17 minutes ago, Bo Andersons dietician said:

Good keeper, great character, doesn't make many mistakes (Hull's 1st aside) - good news.

That wasn't really him, he made the save but it went right into camp all,

the cross coming in past 2 players caused that

24 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

That wasn't really him, he made the save but it went right into camp all,

the cross coming in past 2 players caused that

Disagree, I think he should still have been able to push it away from goal. Doesn’t matter either way - he has been consistent and reliable for a long while and fully deserves the deal. 

Great news. Maybe now people will finally accept/realise he's a really solid keeper at this level. Don't know where's this 'I told you so' culture around him whenever he makes a mistake.

People have said Parish was better than him (he's had 4 clubs since he's left us), then said Ben Hamer was (what a shitshow), then RO'D was (he's now a mid-table League One number 2),  then Giefer was (the guy couldn't kick longer than 30 yards). Maybe it's time to fully let him kick on and get behind him, on what's been an unbelievable start to the season for both him and us, and stop bemoaning that we need a better keeper.

At worst Frankie is a steady championship keeper so its excellent to have him around for longer. Given we're always looking at improving our starting XI we could see Frankie as back up come the summer. I also like how we're putting options in all contracts, more power with the club than the players. 

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Great news. Maybe now people will finally accept/realise he's a really solid keeper at this level. Don't know where's this 'I told you so' culture around him whenever he makes a mistake.

People have said Parish was better than him (he's had 4 clubs since he's left us), then said Ben Hamer was (what a shitshow), then RO'D was (he's now a mid-table League One number 2),  then Giefer was (the guy couldn't kick longer than 30 yards). Maybe it's time to fully let him kick on and get behind him, on what's been an unbelievable start to the season for both him and us, and stop bemoaning that we need a better keeper.

Managed to forget about Giefer already! What a dissapointing signing that was.

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

Delighted for Frankie and his family, but...... I was rather hoping that LJ had been talking about COD or Josh Brownhill or Flint, when he mentioned there was some good news coming on the contratual front...

Frankies done okay, but hes no Basso.

I see it as a step to those other players signing, get solid foundations in place and it all begins to settle. Of course Frankie has been re-signed on his own merit, but if players see other players happy and settled it could sway them, popular player that he is.

Frankie is a good shot stopper for sure, but his lack of height becomes evident on crosses.  Nothing he can do about that, but he coyud really work on his distribution.  I'm sure he could learn to throw and kick a football, but all he really needs to do is kick it or throw it quicker.

That said, I think he's had a decent season so far, but I quite like Luke Steele and it's good to have 2 decent keepers competing.

Frank is statistically one of the seasons top performers in the division.  So I am reliably advised. 

I think he is a very good keeper who hasn’t made a bad ricket since that miss kick. 

The bloke is number one with Steele breathing down his neck. Who is also decent. 

We are in a good spot with keepers despite what some say here. 

Archived