IGNORED

Contenders or Pretenders

old_eastender

Boro today, then Sheff.Utd & Forest... 3 successive games against other sides in the mix to make the top 6. Probably the most season defining little run we have had. 

If we can come through these 3 with at least 5 pts in the bag, that will really show we are serious contenders.

Fingers crossed for 3 pts towards that today, which would lift us to 4th and could give us a 7 pts cushion to 7th. 

6 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Boro today, then Sheff.Utd & Forest... 3 successive games against other sides in the mix to make the top 6. Probably the most season defining little run we have had. 

If we can come through these 3 with at least 5 pts in the bag, that will really show we are serious contenders.

Fingers crossed for 3 pts towards that today, which would lift us to 4th and could give us a 7 pts cushion to 7th. 

At least 4th bearing in the mind Sheff Utd are away at Millwall and arent in the best form. Could be a big blow to them ahead of next week.

Im predicting 7 points from those 3 games before a much less successful end to December.

Depends in what context. I'd say we are contenders for a top 6 spit with about 10 other clubs. Even then, I don't think we'll finish there.

More realistically we are contenders to improve on last year, which is all we can ask for.

I feel we are about to go through a rough patch, but that's okay as I feel we are better prepared to come out the other side quite quickly.

Importantly, we need to stay positive even if the return of points is small.

Any club currently in the top half are contenders. Some will lose form just as others will start hitting even better form.

Wolves are currently top and playing well but who knows how long they can continue  to produce?  When/if they lose a couple of matches will they have that bouncebackability as City have shown they have?    :dunno:

One thing is for sure tho - this season is proving to be far more enjoyable than the last one.

Well I suppose as it stands, we are in contention and the next 3 games will consolidate or drop off.
I still (yes even still) think it's a bit early to see just how far we've come and can go. Not only have we had injuries, but they have been in positions we have limited cover, even though so far we have coped well.  Also , some of the expected challengers are just picking up and starting to show glimpses of form.
Every game at the moment is a challenge, if we get through to Jan still 4th or 5th and can add three players, who knows. Loans could play a big part, Woodrow hasn't cut it but by Jan Djuric and Fam maybe fit, Pisano could be close and COD due back. It will be a juggle and needs the right player/players in.
I'm still looking towards the end of Jan to really see if we can sustain a challenge. 
Just to be chasing until the end of the season would be a big step up from last year.

44 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Depends in what context. I'd say we are contenders for a top 6 spit with about 10 other clubs. Even then, I don't think we'll finish there.

More realistically we are contenders to improve on last year, which is all we can ask for.

I feel we are about to go through a rough patch, but that's okay as I feel we are better prepared to come out the other side quite quickly.

I'm glad you're not doing the team talk ! 

We have shown that we can go anywhere against , even Prem and recent Prem sides, and get something .

We have nothing and no one to fear. 

Do you think Boro , Sheff  Utd and Wolves will be looking forward to playing us ? 

Every match in this unforgiving and exciting league is ' season defining '.

I, mistakenly , said that our match against Preston would see if we are contenders . We played like a pub team and got what we deserved .

Then went two nil down away to exPrem Hull before winning.

The club believe. We should too.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I'm glad you're not doing the team talk ! 

We have shown that we can go anywhere against , even Prem and recent Prem sides, and get something .

We have nothing and no one to fear. 

Do you think Boro , Sheff  Utd and Wolves will be looking forward to playing us ? 

Every match in this unforgiving and exciting league is ' season defining '.

I, mistakenly , said that our match against Preston would see if we are contenders . We played like a pub team and got what we deserved .

Then went two nil down away to exPrem Hull before winning.

The club believe. We should too.

Trust me major, my team talks would wolf of wall street stuff!

I think my point is that whilst I hope for the best, I just want to see progress this year and if we do, I'm happy.

I am still not thinking about being a contender. I hope we are but there is just so much football left. We have a good chance at 40 points before the New Year and that would be fantastic for us. The bottom 3 may struggle to get to that all season. So to be basically safe by January is what I would like to see. 

40 points going into January should label us as top 6 contenders. Hopefully this will see us able to attract a higher calibre player or two. Then come end of January, we will truly know if we are contenders. It would speak volumes to this team if we can scrape through December with our injuries and get to 40 points half way through the season. 

All that said, I do not see how you can call us pretenders this far in. The boys have proven themselves. Probably one of the younger sides in the top 10. We have thoroughly beaten good teams. We have fought back to earn points against different teams. The only thing we have not figured out is how to break down teams who fear us. Goes back to being young. They will learn. Whether or not we stay in the top 6 or not, we are not pretenders. We have been tested so much this season and passed on most occasions. December and the amount of fixtures is another test. Fighting through injuries is another. Excited to see how we get through those two tests. 

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 07:35, old_eastender said:

Well, well, well, 6 pts achieved and Forest still to come... even an old sceptic like me is believing we could stay in the top 6... although if Korey is going to be out for a while that would be a massive blow.

Forest are really hard to predict this year they either play badly or play Fantastic. They haven’t drawn yet.QPR aren’t on the best of form but it wouldn’t surprise me when we play them Holloway isn’t in the dugout. Reading are picking up a bit of form now so we need to be weary of that. Then we obviously have the big one which is Wolves at home. It’s going to be tough and these games will show if we’re contenders or not.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:01, Flint says No said:

Forest are really hard to predict this year they either play badly or play Fantastic. They haven’t drawn yet.QPR aren’t on the best of form but it wouldn’t surprise me when we play them Holloway isn’t in the dugout. Reading are picking up a bit of form now so we need to be weary of that. Then we obviously have the big one which is Wolves at home. It’s going to be tough and these games will show if we’re contenders or not.

you say word for word  hey you took the exact words  right out of my mouth !

On 12/2/2017 at 07:57, 054123 said:

some rough patch (said the bloke from the wise after the event sofa)

On 12/9/2017 at 12:08, cityboy said:

I started to get uncharacteristically optimistic about our chances after the Cardiff match. I've seen nothing since to change my mind.

You do realise that you can get treatment for this condition on the NHS and it is curable.

9 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

some rough patch (said the bloke from the wise after the event sofa)

It is a rough patch in the sense of our opposition. It's not like were playing canon fodder (insert Amiga 1200 jokes here) so if we can come out the other side still in third then that would be a tremendous achievement!

Archived