IGNORED

Disappointed if we don't make the play offs?

Kid in the Riot

Get to the end of January with a couple new faces with some coming back fit and still in a similar position then I would be disappointed. Still too early to tell. The past two springs have been filled with angst of relegation battles. I will be happy without that. If it is replaced with angst of staying in the playoff chase then so be it. I am already happy as we should hit the 60 point minimum I thought we should acheive this season so no disappointment here unless we somehow do not get 23 more points 

27 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

To finish mid table now would mean a pretty dire second half of the season. Why woud anybody take that?

We are doing very well to be where we are. And there's no doubt we have a chance. 

But im cautious. I don't want fans thinking we SHOULD make the play offs. Based off a number of factors, we shouldn't (budget, injuries etc.)

Im worried now a 9th/10th would now be seen as a massive disappointment. Whereas that would still show huge progression.

If we finish mid table, there will be fans calling for Johnsons head, because some now would be disappointed not to finish in play offs because of a very good 20 games. 

But listen, im loving the optimism and long may it continue. I'm certainly not gunna be the one to shun that. 

However, if we don't make play offs I hope fans remain in touch with reality and recognise progression if it does end mid table !

I don’t get to many away games in a season, so have to base most of my views on home games and tv (Sky or highlights), but...

...tonight was a performance that makes me think something is stirring in BS3.  Can’t predict where we will finish, but we are the ‘real deal’ imho.  We might need a bit of luck along the way.  The top 6 is there for us, if we want it.

We aren’t reliant on one player.

We have a style that allows adaptations and flexibility in formation and personnel.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Only three teams we haven't played: Forest, QPR and Sheffield U. So we can make an assessment based on seeing pretty much every team in the division. 

Five points clear of 7th place with the four clubs just outside the play off zone being Ipswich, Leeds, Boro and Preston. Beat two of those and lost two of them.

Notwithstanding expectations back in August, from the position we find ourselves in after 20 games, would you be disappointed if we did not make the top six?

Still too early to tell... right now we are way above my expectations when the season started, but as you say not even halfway yet. 

1 hour ago, deadredfred said:

As gutting as it would be to lose the POF, we'd surely win loads more in prize £ and really put ourselves forward as a destination for new signings, as well as strengthening our position in trying to tie down existing players to new contracts. 

For that alone I'd take a day out at Wembley and then you being so upset at full time that you don't say a word to me and storm off home on the train. Just like Brighton in Cardiff eh ChippenhamRed?!

I’m still angry about it.

It doesn't matter what we think, or how the gaffer sets us up, or if the players keep their form.

It's about one thing - injuries.

We are on a TERRIBLE run - just plain bad luck. But these are serious long term injuries - players may get fit by Feb, but it's another 2-3 weeks before the 'touch' becomes natural again.

Famara, Pisano, O'Dowda, Milan - all out for months or with Milan at about 40% effectiveness at best until we get a replacement. Hegeler is another.

All are genuine injuries that have nothing to do with poor training or fitness staff. Just plain bad luck.

Own up - who felt a little sick when Korey went down holding his knee?

I did!

If we can get through until the transfer window unscathed, then we can talk about top-Six, but we have what, 7 more games before then?

Does anyone really think we could cover if  3 or 4 out of Baker, Smith, Reid, Bryan, Flint and Brownhill  pulled a hammy, or tweaked an ankle in the next 2-3 games?

Easy injuries to get - and 3-4 weeks to get over.

Due to our current injury list, I think it will depend on Lady Luck.

No more injuries until Jan, and keep playing this great football, then we are in with a shot at Play-offs.

However, if Lady Luck decides to be a bitch, we simply cannot cover anymore injuries, let alone a couple. Plus we have 2 or 3 players on their last Yellow?

We are playing well enough to get top six IF we can keep our lads on the field. Lose a couple more to injury, and no matter how hard the replacements try, it's highly probable we would drop quite a few of those pre-January games, and drop 7-8 places.

Lets hope the fitness staff keep up the great work!

This could be our year, if we are over our run of injuries, and recruit 3 good additions in January.

If not, it's still been a bloody great season so far, and I'm enjoying the ride!

I`m still sticking to being happy with a top ten finish. Whatever happens now, people are beginning to sit up and take notice of us now and that can only be good when we are trying to attract players. Our style of play will help with that no end too - no player really wants to be in a hoof ball team deep down.

As an aside regarding our injury problems one thing it will have done is to force LJ, MA et al to think proactively (not that I really believe that they aren`t constantly watching and reviewing potential players anyway) and you would like to think have targets already on board ready to go in early January. I can`t see us waiting until late in the window under the circumstances - OK, you may pay more as clubs know our situation but that`s a small price to pay if we are really serious about going for the big one this season. I shouldn`t be at all surprised to find we are in very advanced negotiations with players and clubs already.

Love him or hate him, MA certainly knows what he`s doing.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m still sticking to being happy with a top ten finish. Whatever happens now, people are beginning to sit up and take notice of us now and that can only be good when we are trying to attract players. Our style of play will help with that no end too - no player really wants to be in a hoof ball team deep down.

As an aside regarding our injury problems one thing it will have done is to force LJ, MA et al to think proactively (not that I really believe that they aren`t constantly watching and reviewing potential players anyway) and you would like to think have targets already on board ready to go in early January. I can`t see us waiting until late in the window under the circumstances - OK, you may pay more as clubs know our situation but that`s a small price to pay if we are really serious about going for the big one this season. I shouldn`t be at all surprised to find we are in very advanced negotiations with players and clubs already.

Love him or hate him, MA certainly knows what he`s doing.

I love him . 

:yes:

Would be devastated to not make the play offs now. 

Funny isn’t it. Last season LJ bleated on about only losing by a single goal and I absolutely despised him for it. But actually maybe the signs were there... the first half versus Derby (3-0 up - did we draw 3-3?) going toe to toe with some of the others without being humiliated. 

We now seem to be finding some consistency. We’ll still see some poor performances, after all it’s a pretty difficult task to go from relegation candidates to promotion contenders. 

But at this point, the future certainly looks bright. 

Really wouldn’t want Villa In the play offs tho. 

Yes I get the play off thing, but we always bottle it don't we, I mean always, and the knock back in getting beat at Wembley is the worse feeling I can imagine, remember Hull, and that horrible hod carrying excuse for a footballer knocking one in from 20 yds... still hurts. So come on we are better than Cardiff, and besides we are English, it's our right to go up automatic, beating them at their place would be crucial, and we can do it, there is a sense of ''we are better than you'' around the place, right stadium right team, right time.:city:

8 hours ago, SX227 said:

It doesn't matter what we think, or how the gaffer sets us up, or if the players keep their form.

It's about one thing - injuries.

We are on a TERRIBLE run - just plain bad luck. But these are serious long term injuries - players may get fit by Feb, but it's another 2-3 weeks before the 'touch' becomes natural again.

Famara, Pisano, O'Dowda, Milan - all out for months or with Milan at about 40% effectiveness at best until we get a replacement. Hegeler is another.

All are genuine injuries that have nothing to do with poor training or fitness staff. Just plain bad luck.

Own up - who felt a little sick when Korey went down holding his knee?

I did!

If we can get through until the transfer window unscathed, then we can talk about top-Six, but we have what, 7 more games before then?

Does anyone really think we could cover if  3 or 4 out of Baker, Smith, Reid, Bryan, Flint and Brownhill  pulled a hammy, or tweaked an ankle in the next 2-3 games?

Easy injuries to get - and 3-4 weeks to get over.

Due to our current injury list, I think it will depend on Lady Luck.

No more injuries until Jan, and keep playing this great football, then we are in with a shot at Play-offs.

However, if Lady Luck decides to be a bitch, we simply cannot cover anymore injuries, let alone a couple. Plus we have 2 or 3 players on their last Yellow?

We are playing well enough to get top six IF we can keep our lads on the field. Lose a couple more to injury, and no matter how hard the replacements try, it's highly probable we would drop quite a few of those pre-January games, and drop 7-8 places.

Lets hope the fitness staff keep up the great work!

This could be our year, if we are over our run of injuries, and recruit 3 good additions in January.

If not, it's still been a bloody great season so far, and I'm enjoying the ride!

Totally agree...regardless of our good performances, a lot will depend on injuries and that little bit of luck, which can be the difference between a win, draw or loss.

If I was entertained every week, enjoying this type of football with a squad of players I respect and enjoy watching, then I'd be happy. I am....

It's nice to win and be in this position...but how refreshing to see a young manager given the chance to build a young hungry team, full of players that have ability and skill, willing to work, nice personalities ( the DNA ) they keep talking about...being able to watch players given a chance to improve, seeing them flourish, seeing them improve....what a joy, what a ride, a pleasure to watch.

For me...if we don't make the play off's...yes, I'd be slightly disappointed, but not because of lack of effort from anyone.

This past two seasons, has been a personal joy for me....because imo, this is how football clubs should be run. Managers given a chance and players given a chance.

I love what we are now doing, and watching it flourish puts a big grin on my face.

Seeing fans happy, feeling part of the club and with the players, is how it should be.

No billy big bollox, no manager under intense pressure....given a chance with some raw talent to develop. Perfect for me.

So pleased for LJ, the backroom staff and the team and owner....for believing in it, ignoring many short sighted fans who have got used to the sacking culture and thinking that's the right way.

And pleased to be proven right in my own head, that my thoughts on how it should be done, can work.

14 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

I really don't want the play off's, not with our record, top 2 please.

Yes that will be the best position to finish,

but don't forget this current squad has more fight than previous squads,  so  imo, there would be a better chance of winning the play offs 

15 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You have to say yes now. But it’s undeniable now that not finishing in the play offs would be disappointing having put ourselves in such a strong position.

Looking at the club's position and current form, it will be a major disappointment not to reach (at least) the play offs. If did fail there'll be no end of posts on here with the theme of "Where did it all go wrong"?

1 hour ago, pillred said:

6 million are you joking, the way he is playing you would have to double that.

In the pubs around here they had City on the 'other' screen whilst watching the Arsenal Man U  game, and some of those plastics could not believe the quality of football we played, some were saying Bryan and Bobby are better than what we have in the current England squad....:yes:   

Disappointed - yes.

Expect - no.

The fact we’re even discussing promotion is proof of how far we’ve come and how right the club were to stick to their guns in the face of the most intense fan criticism. Massive credit.

Short term - keep the squad together (don’t sell our best assets), fit and balanced (don’t get overexcited and overspend on some billy big balls, Tomlin anyone, with a bad attitude) through the January window - if we can do that, we look like we have every chance of challenging in the top 6 all the way.

We’ve got to remember though, when you’re fighting at the bottom, you can make big moves up with a few wins as the teams around you aren’t getting points. So now fighting around the top 6, a small drop in form for 3/5 games and you find yourself very quickly and easily in 8th or 10th and playing a difficult game of catch up.

I am enjoying this season. I've learnt to enjoy the moment. They don't come along often. Will I be disappointed if we don't make the plays ? Probably. It could be another ,what if,season. But I'm still enjoying the season. It may end up very similar to the Championship play off season with a visit to Wembley. 

37 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Despite the performance, another tough fixture out of the way and 3 more pts. We've now played all of the top 6 teams and are undefeated.

8 pts clear of Ipswich in 7th.

Would officially be disappointed if we didn't make the play-offs from this position!

Fully agree, its unfortunate in a way to carry that pressure but that's what being third & getting quality results like this evening bring.

The other reason I feel we need to finish top 6 is to keep this group, by and large, together.

I fear a 9th/10th finish leaves this squad vulnerable to being picked off by envious eyes.

Even an unsuccessful dance with promotion via the play offs may help keep it together plus enhance our chances of improving it.

This division is unpredictable & unforgiving. The sun is shining and its time to make hay. That may mean changing nothing right now, save perhaps a luck change with injuries & a couple of January loans.

(That said i am sure we would all get over it!)

Archived