IGNORED

Let's not make the same mistake as 2008. Splash the cash!

tinman85

Not so sure about some of the thoughts here. Every club in the land now talks about the ‘group’. Still a squad as far as I am concerned.  

LJ has alluded to the fact we have a centre back doing ok at RB but means we are not as fluid as he would like. He rates Zak, but not yet ! So for sure we will get a RB on loan early doors. That should not upset the group bonding ;)

A forward as well. Duric is crocked, Farmer, who knows, late winter I guess before he is near the first team. Loan or permanent signing.  Even if we miss out this year we must carry on building so I guessing permenant signing.  That lump who played for Palace against us was useful!

Woodrow is never mentioned here, or Engervall. Forgotten men ? 

12 hours ago, Pezo said:

I hope we look at the right players at the right price. We do well because everyone works hard no big buck pre Madonnas here please.

To be fair I wouldn't mind a pre Madonna. Could develop into a top player under LJ.

On another note, deffo don't want any prima donnas, would upset the balance. :blink:

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Said on another thread , would love some quality in January but my first and foremost use of any budget would actually be tying up Flint , Bryan , Bobby and Brownhill if push comes to shove

I was just about to post the same. Also getting the likes FD , COD , and EP back to fitness. I think we only need a couple of additions 

The amount of money spent doesn’t make any difference, it has to be a case that we look to strengthen where necessary & spend whatever that takes if LJ identifies his preferred targets.

I think the the issue with the comparison with 2008 is that we didn’t seem to believe in ourselves & didn’t back ourselves & that then meant we left ourselves a little short whereas if we had backed ourselves with just a little bit more money & foresight, we would have been in a better position for the next couple of seasons even if we had failed to get promotion but instead we went backwards!

The difference this time is we have a young squad geared towards progression over the next few years rather than having a squad full of players who are coming to the ends of their careers & leaving us with little potential money coming in from their resale value where as the majority of our current squad all have the potential to make us more money than we paid for them & this is the way the club need to progress.

We now have the club geared up for progression & SL is seemingly willing to back that vision financially, in 2008 (and around those years) money was seemingly wasted on players that had already seen their best days & it would see us improve our bench but not our first team (so much), now we seem to be trying to bring in players who will improve our first team & that in turn improves our squad but it means it’s money better spent because we are seeing the results on the pitch.

Gradually it means our squad value increases, so whereas our players individual value in 2008 was possibly £1m per player, we are possibly looking at £4m per player now & that shows the progression we are making. Now that doesn’t mean we can’t sign players for £1m or so but on the whole we are now shopping in a different market in the hope that improves us now.

Let’s not sign players to improve our bench, let’s sign players to improve our starting eleven & allow that to filter down through the squad.

I think we need one more striker - in my head I'm thinking a big, veteran target man. Good work ethic, plenty of Championship experience and who has been there and seen it all. Not necessarily an out and out striker - more someone who can create chances and space for the guy next to him.

In fact, the more I think about it only one man fits the bill...

12522-zoom.jpg

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

The amount of money spent doesn’t make any difference, it has to be a case that we look to strengthen where necessary & spend whatever that takes if LJ identifies his preferred targets.

I think the the issue with the comparison with 2008 is that we didn’t seem to believe in ourselves & didn’t back ourselves & that then meant we left ourselves a little short whereas if we had backed ourselves with just a little bit more money & foresight, we would have been in a better position for the next couple of seasons even if we had failed to get promotion but instead we went backwards!

The difference this time is we have a young squad geared towards progression over the next few years rather than having a squad full of players who are coming to the ends of their careers & leaving us with little potential money coming in from their resale value where as the majority of our current squad all have the potential to make us more money than we paid for them & this is the way the club need to progress.

We now have the club geared up for progression & SL is seemingly willing to back that vision financially, in 2008 (and around those years) money was seemingly wasted on players that had already seen their best days & it would see us improve our bench but not our first team (so much), now we seem to be trying to bring in players who will improve our first team & that in turn improves our squad but it means it’s money better spent because we are seeing the results on the pitch.

Gradually it means our squad value increases, so whereas our players individual value in 2008 was possibly £1m per player, we are possibly looking at £4m per player now & that shows the progression we are making. Now that doesn’t mean we can’t sign players for £1m or so but on the whole we are now shopping in a different market in the hope that improves us now.

Let’s not sign players to improve our bench, let’s sign players to improve our starting eleven & allow that to filter down through the squad.

I'd agree. I think we can take a (calculated) risk and invest heavily on a player who will make a real difference. Arguably, depending on how Pisano and Diedhiou are getting on, we need loan signings to cover their positions but I think I'd like us to spend the bulk (and maybe even all) of the sum available on a quality central midfielder. I honestly think that could be the difference. 

17 hours ago, tinman85 said:

We blew it in 2008 by not enhancing the squad with big money signings in the January. This is the best chance we will ever have. Let's spend big and bring in players who will improve us further. A top powerful striker to partner Bobby and central midfield player, plus right back as cover. 

What, we blew it by reaching the play off final? We blew it by being 'one' game away from a place in the Prem? 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd agree. I think we can take a (calculated) risk and invest heavily on a player who will make a real difference. Arguably, depending on how Pisano and Diedhiou are getting on, we need loan signings to cover their positions but I think I'd like us to spend the bulk (and maybe even all) of the sum available on a quality central midfielder. I honestly think that could be the difference. 

That’s exactly it, that one player could make all the difference, bring the quality of the team right up & also make other potential signings (in the future) sit up & take notice. I think that was the sort of thing Cotts was hoping for when he made the moves for Gayle & Gray, that one big money ‘marquee’ (nothing to do with the minimal ground) signing to then make others realise that we’re a club worth joining.

We are of course now in a position where we can ask for other players opinions of potential signings from countries from further afield & this can help with info gathering & with potentially making players aware of our interest.

2008 isn't even comparable to this year. In 2008 we had a team of mostly League One players, playing out of their skin and thriving on a combination of momentum and other teams underestimating us. Gary Johnson was a motivator, not a master tactician, although I do love the guy. We genuinely were punching above our weight.

This season we have a squad built around the aim of sustained success, with money spent wisely on transfers rather than wages, meaning that we don't have a prolonged period of high wages should something go wrong, again, unlike 2008. Players are bought for the future rather than the now, hence the difference between this season and last, and this team will only get better.

2008, I agree we could have done with strengthening. It was then, or never. Now, we need to add subtly, and not go mental with transfers, as we will get another opportunity if this season doesn't work out.

33 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

2008 isn't even comparable to this year. In 2008 we had a team of mostly League One players, playing out of their skin and thriving on a combination of momentum and other teams underestimating us. Gary Johnson was a motivator, not a master tactician, although I do love the guy. We genuinely were punching above our weight.

This season we have a squad built around the aim of sustained success, with money spent wisely on transfers rather than wages, meaning that we don't have a prolonged period of high wages should something go wrong, again, unlike 2008. Players are bought for the future rather than the now, hence the difference between this season and last, and this team will only get better.

2008, I agree we could have done with strengthening. It was then, or never. Now, we need to add subtly, and not go mental with transfers, as we will get another opportunity if this season doesn't work out.

Really good post.

I was looking at the table yesterday and realised that - whilst i’m not by any means confident we are going to go up- I really can’t see any reason why we can’t. In 07-08, it always felt like we were punching above our weight. We got walloped at Ipswich and ultimately had no squad depth so an injury in the final basically scuppered our chances.

This season we spent the first four weeks without one of our best defenders, have had long term injuries to two of our key summer signings and - first half v Leeds aside - the squad has held up. Whenever we lose, we bounce back and we’ve gone to a recently relegated premier league team, played terribly and still got a dramatic victory. On top of which our second XI has knocked half the premier league out the League Cup.

Wolves look like winning the league. But after that? Villa are probably favourites but are prone to a bad performance, Derby are inconsistent, I honestly don’t think Cardiff are better than we are (though Warnock is a wily Manager), Sheffield Utd must be as surprised as we are to be where they are and everyone else is a few points behind us. There is a long way to go and anything could happen. We may be unlucky or our form could drop off. Other teams may improve dramatically and us not keep up. But, at the moment, I think we are where we deserve to be and I see no reason why we can’t compete again next season if this year does not pan out.

21 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

A hell of a lot better than the horse punchers list, Aldi, Lidl & Oxfam

Clarke said he has only spent £135,000 on players since taking charge in March 2014 and that he has drawn up a "Waitrose, Aldi and Poundland" list for the January transfer window, which he will present to the board.

Archived