IGNORED

The Biggest Win of the Season to date...?

Mr Popodopolous

I was gonna make a thread earlier about this being the biggest game of season but phone went flat so anyway...

For me this is the biggest win of the season. What with some other- not all but a reasonable number of other results going our way, we've started to put some good daylight between us and the playoff contending sides.

• Leeds-Villa...DRAW. 
  • Fulham lost. 
  • Cardiff beat Norwich which is bad from an automatic POV but keeps Norwich further away.
  • We are now 7 points above Leeds and 8 ahead of Middlesborough. Those are good healthy gaps at this stage of season, nearly halfway through- excellent stuff.
  • Sheffield Wednesday- another dangerous side, dropped points again. 10 points at this stage is a big gap. An excellent gap to have.

This isn't like last year where we were having good gaps after 10, 11 games. This is 20 games, a strong cushion this, big psychologically too especially for Middlesborough losing today.

Essentially for varied reasons, I think it was most important win of season to date and we came through it brilliantly. Well done to all.

For me it was Sunderland away in October. A big cliché so apologies but anyone really can beat anyone in this league so it's about bouncing back. After a 0-0 against Burton and 0-3 against Leeds both at home the wheels could've fallen off at a similar time to last year. We showed spirit and LJ made good subs to grab us 3 points, sounds similar to what those at Hull said, so that's the biggest win for me. 

You're right though, an impressive three points that has us looking pretty. Sheffield United next week should be a really interesting game, from what I've watched they're a very good side off the ball and set a lot of successful traps but we're very creative in possession.... 0-0 written all over it!:thumbsup:

That's a good shout actually @CheddarReds

Sunderland away was very important too, agreed- that little run after the Burton and Leeds setbacks well that was massive, and really was kick-started at Sunderland- a day we were not at our best. 

Also as for next week. Thinking a draw at Sheff Utd- probably would be a good result too. The problem is, we just need to win, and win, and win and win. Usually with 37 points form 20 we would be right on the heels of the top 2 2 points a game and that, but Cardiff have 43 points and have played 20 games yet still are not top- 6 off Cardiff and 7 off Wolves. Could easily be 6 and 8 tomorrow or even more likely 6 and 10.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's a good shout actually @CheddarReds

Sunderland away was very important too, agreed- that little run after the Burton and Leeds setbacks well that was massive, and really was kick-started at Sunderland- a day we were not at our best. 

Also as for next week. Thinking a draw at Sheff Utd- probably would be a good result too. The problem is, we just need to win, and win, and win and win. Usually with 37 points form 20 we would be right on the heels of the top 2 2 points a game and that, but Cardiff have 43 points and have played 20 games yet still are not top- 6 off Cardiff and 7 off Wolves. Could easily be 6 and 8 tomorrow or even more likely 6 and 10.

I think I'd probably take a point at Sheff Utd next weekend, point is never bad away from home, especially against another side there or thereabouts. 

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I was gonna make a thread earlier about this being the biggest game of season but phone went flat so anyway...

For me this is the biggest win of the season. What with some other- not all but a reasonable number of other results going our way, we've started to put some good daylight between us and the playoff contending sides.

• Leeds-Villa...DRAW. 
  • Fulham lost. 
  • Cardiff beat Norwich which is bad from an automatic POV but keeps Norwich further away.
  • We are now 7 points above Leeds and 8 ahead of Middlesborough. Those are good healthy gaps at this stage of season, nearly halfway through- excellent stuff.
  • Sheffield Wednesday- another dangerous side, dropped points again. 10 points at this stage is a big gap. An excellent gap to have.

This isn't like last year where we were having good gaps after 10, 11 games. This is 20 games, a strong cushion this, big psychologically too especially for Middlesborough losing today.

Essentially for varied reasons, I think it was most important win of season to date and we came through it brilliantly. Well done to all.

Agree, to put ourselves 8 clear of Boro made it so. However, if we beat Sheff Utd to consolidate 3rd place, that will surpass the Boro win :clapping:

Wouldn’t take a point at sheff utd if offered now. They’re wobbling, we’re on a high. We need to wins game like this to be serious automatic contenders IF that’s what we consider ourselves now. A point would be an excellent result in the hunt for the playoffs though...

18 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Wouldn’t take a point at sheff utd if offered now. They’re wobbling, we’re on a high. We need to wins game like this to be serious automatic contenders IF that’s what we consider ourselves now. A point would be an excellent result in the hunt for the playoffs though...

Agreed. Blades not won in three and they have been beaten by worse teams than us, even at home.

9 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

I think I'd probably take a point at Sheff Utd next weekend, point is never bad away from home, especially against another side there or thereabouts. 

Don't get me wrong, it would be a great result.

The only thing I would say about that on the other hand is Wolves and Cardiff are in danger of disappearing into the distance a bit. Wolves especially.

Cardiff are the surprise of those 2, raised the bar higher than anticipated.

Still though, would be certainly happy with a point on Friday.

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For me this is the biggest win of the season.

I was going to agree, but a win at Brammall Lane on Friday could become THE result of the season.

Thinking back to the 75-76 season, the most impressive win was 4-2 at Oldham after being 2-1 down at HT. However the most important result came in February; WBA 0 - City 1.

Archived