IGNORED

S82 Drum

BCFC J

Before I start this I'm going to state that I really appreciate the work that the lads in S82 try and do with giving up their own time and putting their hands in their pockets (I donated to the fundraiser a few weeks back) all to try and make the matchday experience proper and more enjoyable, but I do have one very petty gripe that I know a few others have moaned about as well....

The drum in S82. Now I used to stand in the East End when there was a drum in 13/14 and when it was eventually sacked off the atmosphere improved massively. Other than Tuesday night games where there's 17,500 in and only a taxi load of away fans in attendance I think the atmosphere at AG is generally OK compared to other grounds in this division that I've been to, but is there really any need for a drum? I get it may add to the atmosphere at times, but with 1,000 people stood in a corner and the South Stand that join in with the songs, is it needed? We're Bristol City not Reading, there are still lots of fans who want to go and make an atmosphere at home games, I just don't think it's required at Ashton Gate.

It's incredibly petty I know but it's not only me that's noticed it. I'm not completely dismissing it, if you think it massively adds to the atmosphere then I'll take that on board and say fair enough, but I just feel it's not really needed at Ashton Gate, we make our own noise.

I think its fantastic. I keep meaning to start a thread on here praising the guy who managed to do it for 90 minutes. It keeps the area organised, the East End was far more communal than the South Stand is and it's much more necessary. 

3 minutes ago, Kotsy said:

Some comical posts in here

"this is notterz yea who eva sTole r drumstick either b a man gv it bk n apoligise or b a man n face us n lets sort it out lk men instead being cowards n doin things behind r bk we comprimise wid drums n stil gets *****s lk dis n then hides behind pc if dnt lk us dat much lets sort it out dnt care who u are we paid 4 it u stole frm us dat has consequencies if man enugh dnt care bout spelling lk the ***** who dnt care who took r stick we wil meet u u ***** wat scab city til i die coyr" 

Jesus

6 minutes ago, Hartcliffe red said:

I suplied the drum for the s82 lads and think the guy playing it has done really well.not been over used and lifts the crowd.keep up the good work lads

I must admit, I am usually against the damn things but on Saturday I did feel it was used correctly. In my opinion the problem with drums usually is that the player starts over riding any other chants that develop naturally. Saturday the drummer fell in with, and added to, the chants, especially the "We all hate gas scum, 17 years" thing that ran for long periods and almost started to develop into a "round".  

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I must admit, I am usually against the damn things but on Saturday I did feel it was used correctly. In my opinion the problem with drums usually is that the player starts over riding any other chants that develop naturally. Saturday the drummer fell in with, and added to, the chants, especially the "We all hate gas scum, 17 years" thing that ran for long periods and almost started to develop into a "round".  

Bang on. It's not offensive from where I'm sitting, it allows me to keep in time with songs, I think the atmosphere would be a lot worse without it.

6 minutes ago, Hartcliffe red said:

I suplied the drum for the s82 lads and think the guy playing it has done really well.not been over used and lifts the crowd.keep up the good work lads

58 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

mnorGenerally speaking, the problem with drums at football is that the person with the stick can't play it.

That said, I hope we don't get a repeat of the scenes we all witness when the EastEnd drum stick got STOLEN.

Oh my days. 

Quite funny how he used to bang on. Bang on about how shit other fans were, how hard he was and if people did not like his drumming they should do one. even funnier was when he said he was going to "mess up" a bloke who told him to wind the drumming in and got  a response of "lets go now hardman and see, and you can bring your three friends including your mate with the crutches because I do not discriminate". 

On one of the a naughty forums there was also a thread Missing one drum last seen leaving the window of a train between Brum and Bristol!!

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Thanks for advising us of what this chant was. All I got was the word "WE".

I wasn't aware the drummer had returned - very glad to have the drum beat back. Hopefully at last, the songs can be sung a little bit slower and better organised so the rest of the ground can join in with the singing section as happened several times on Saturday. 

As others have said, it works best when it adds to what others have created rather than the drum taking the leading role.

2 hours ago, BCFC J said:

Before I start this I'm going to state that I really appreciate the work that the lads in S82 try and do with giving up their own time and putting their hands in their pockets (I donated to the fundraiser a few weeks back) all to try and make the matchday experience proper and more enjoyable, but I do have one very petty gripe that I know a few others have moaned about as well....

The drum in S82. Now I used to stand in the East End when there was a drum in 13/14 and when it was eventually sacked off the atmosphere improved massively. Other than Tuesday night games where there's 17,500 in and only a taxi load of away fans in attendance I think the atmosphere at AG is generally OK compared to other grounds in this division that I've been to, but is there really any need for a drum? I get it may add to the atmosphere at times, but with 1,000 people stood in a corner and the South Stand that join in with the songs, is it needed? We're Bristol City not Reading, there are still lots of fans who want to go and make an atmosphere at home games, I just don't think it's required at Ashton Gate.

It's incredibly petty I know but it's not only me that's noticed it. I'm not completely dismissing it, if you think it massively adds to the atmosphere then I'll take that on board and say fair enough, but I just feel it's not really needed at Ashton Gate, we make our own noise.

Completely disagree.

Whoever the drummer is, they do a fantastic job of just doing it at the right time or to help keep a beat to our longer chants.

They use the drum in a restrained manner and every time I have noticed it this year, it's because I have thought how good it was compared to other attempts.

Long may they continue.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

What a brilliant chant that was, top work lads!

As for the drum, I sit in E30 in the Dullmoan, and I didn't notice there was a drum, which suggests it was used perfectly.

Archived