IGNORED

Leko. A little naive?

A Horse With No Name

Not seen it mentioned elsewhere so apologies if it has, but was anyone else screaming at Leko to head for the corner flag with about 1 minute left? He picked the ball up half way and skinned his man down the line before cutting in and crossing to.........nobody. 

Middlesbro launched a last attack, which Leko to his credit furiously chased back, but if they had scored he would have been totally to blame. 

I know we aren't a time wasting , cheating side like others, but we need to be a little more savvy when seeing out matches.

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sounds harsh but from what I’ve seen of him he has absolutely zero ‘football brain’ and you can see why he’s not getting near the first team in the Prem - it’s like he’s hardwired to do one thing and one thing only no matter what the situation is. 

From the very limited amount I have seen of him it would appear that he has a lot to learn. But, he is a young lad and I am sure he is being coached intensely.

I am surprised however as to why we took him on loan given my comments above, as I am pretty sure having him here is costing us money in terms of a potential loan fee and a % of wages. 

LJ clearly brought him on to not alter the shape and to hold the ball up and push their defenders back. It didn't work because as said by an earlier poster, he doesn't seem to have the football brain to do it.

I would have brought Vyner on to play wide right. He can defend better and if he got the ball is also able to go forward with it. But then what would we know about tactics etc? We're just supporters. 

Think people forget how young he is or compare him to what Tammy was at the same age. He isn’t 19 until late April with less than 25 appearances and most of those off the bench. I get he can be frustrating but he has the raw ability to help us in certain matches. He is someone who will help us more as the season goes on and he gets more training and minutes. I think we may even try and purchase him next summer, especially if we go up. 

57 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sounds harsh but from what I’ve seen of him he has absolutely zero ‘football brain’ and you can see why he’s not getting near the first team in the Prem - it’s like he’s hardwired to do one thing and one thing only no matter what the situation is. 

Exactly that mate...I've never seen anyone so bad at understanding football. He can run ( with his head down fast ), kick a ball ( as to where it's going to go, no one knows ), do some fancy step overs ( could easily make Blackpool in Strictly come Dancing ) and confuse himself and everyone else as to what he's going to do next...he's no footballer...just an unpredictable person, who can run and kick a ball...seen more football knowledge in a playground tbh. I don't see what any manager see's in him.

Hope he proves me wrong and stuffs it down my throat.

Useful to have another winger with callum out though.

He is young and needs experience to get his decision making right.

His end product is poor and he shoyldnt be whipping crosses into empty boxes - needs to whip it across behind the retreating defenders.

He will improve with game time.

Did anyone notice that run back from him, it was really weird with his head bobbing all over the place?

11 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Useful to have another winger with callum out though.

He is young and needs experience to get his decision making right.

His end product is poor and he shoyldnt be whipping crosses into empty boxes - needs to whip it across behind the retreating defenders.

He will improve with game time.

Did anyone notice that run back from him, it was really weird with his head bobbing all over the place?

Yes , he was running like he had shat himself. 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think people forget how young he is or compare him to what Tammy was at the same age. He isn’t 19 until late April with less than 25 appearances and most of those off the bench. I get he can be frustrating but he has the raw ability to help us in certain matches. He is someone who will help us more as the season goes on and he gets more training and minutes. I think we may even try and purchase him next summer, especially if we go up. 

O’Dowda, Reid and Pato have taught me that quality coaching and sustained game time can really impact a player’s game....however that’s only good when they’re you’re player...can’t really see the benefit to spending a season coaching Leko to improve him only to then see him go back to his club. 

Interesting point re a permanent move - hadn’t considered it. In that case you could see the benefit to having him here despite his rawness. 

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Not seen it mentioned elsewhere so apologies if it has, but was anyone else screaming at Leko to head for the corner flag with about 1 minute left? He picked the ball up half way and skinned his man down the line before cutting in and crossing to.........nobody. 

Middlesbro launched a last attack, which Leko to his credit furiously chased back, but if they had scored he would have been totally to blame. 

I know we aren't a time wasting , cheating side like others, but we need to be a little more savvy when seeing out matches.

Agree that he should have ran into the corner, I wouldn't call time wasting 'cheating' though.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Exactly that mate...I've never seen anyone so bad at understanding football. He can run ( with his head down fast ), kick a ball ( as to where it's going to go, no one knows ), do some fancy step overs ( could easily make Blackpool in Strictly come Dancing ) and confuse himself and everyone else as to what he's going to do next...he's no footballer...just an unpredictable person, who can run and kick a ball...seen more football knowledge in a playground tbh. I don't see what any manager see's in him.

Hope he proves me wrong and stuffs it down my throat.

A young Freeman?

Neither of our loan signings have featured much. I guess unlike Tammy ( who is a near impossible hard act to follow) they don’t have clauses in their contracts insisting that they play? Can’t say I’ve been impressed with either, ok as cover but there must be better value out there, or better investments to be made. We have invested in players like a Brownhill, COD, Paterson etc so we just need to find similar not necessarily getting other teams players better.

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Taking the ball to the corner flag isn’t time wasting as the ball is still in play. Time wasting is taking ages to take corners, throw-ins, goal kicks and free kicks....if the ball is on the pitch you ain’t wasting time cos the other team obviously has the opportunity to join in!

31 minutes ago, Midred said:

A young Freeman?

I think Freeman overplays, but if memory serves me right he has the most assists this season in the Championship.

With Leko...I'm gobsmacked at how poor his understanding of football is. He wants to beat everyone on his own. It really is like watching the greedy kid at school.

Sounds harsh, but I've never been so underwhelmed with one of our players.

won the penalty, had the ball taken off him by bobby, seemed to take humberance to that, and hasn't been the same since.

53 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Weird as in the Derby game Leko put in what was probably the best individual performance of the season so far 

This is harsh imo, raw and with little experience yea, but ‘completely lacking a footballing brain’ no. He’s on a decent prem teams books, he’s no fool. And his running/taking on players is so exciting. If he adds end product a la COD, what a prospect. 

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I was properly laughing out loud at that run, was superb!!

Archived