IGNORED

Leko. A little naive?

A Horse With No Name

6 minutes ago, wood_red said:

I was properly laughing out loud at that run, was superb!!

Yes was marvellous. It looked like his neck had lost all rigidity and his head was being dragged along by his bodies forward momentum.

Was bricking it that Boro were on the attack but found myself laughing at the cartoon character impression.

Apart from that. Hope the lad does well for us obviously, he's certainly got potential.

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sounds harsh but from what I’ve seen of him he has absolutely zero ‘football brain’ and you can see why he’s not getting near the first team in the Prem - it’s like he’s hardwired to do one thing and one thing only no matter what the situation is. 

A very selfish player by the looks of it. Wants to show off his skill and pace but not in the right moments. Disappointing. 

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

O’Dowda, Reid and Pato have taught me that quality coaching and sustained game time can really impact a player’s game....however that’s only good when they’re you’re player...can’t really see the benefit to spending a season coaching Leko to improve him only to then see him go back to his club. 

Interesting point re a permanent move - hadn’t considered it. In that case you could see the benefit to having him here despite his rawness. 

Yes but the hope would be he has some correctable characteristics that can be changed over the course of the season to improve his impact for us. I do believe he would be the type of player we look at if we go up but probably not affordable if we do not.

Anyway, I think we will give him the attention he needs to be a good footballer as that will be part of our reputation bringing in these types of players. He is the type of player many suggest we should go after in January even if a bit more unpolished than we would prefer. Young and eager to make a name for himself. Think he has a part to play for us this season. He has that ability to make something happen against those teams that drop deep and defend against us. Better decision making comes with minutes and he has had very few. I am positive he is learning loads during his spell here though. 

Not trying to compare ability between the two but I watched Jonny Smith as much as the TV cameras allowed playing for Fylde in the FA Cup. He was very disciplined whenever Wigan got the ball and put in a good shift defensively as wide left midfield. He's two years older than Leko so time for him to learn that it's a team game as well as individual brilliance.

12 hours ago, The hand of RO'D said:

Did anyone else notice Lekos hilarious run after he lost the ball. I’m not knocking his effort ofc but he literally flung his head back and ran like stink to try and get it back.

Ran back hard, for sure, but didn't catch his opponent, which surprised me. I thought he'd have caught up with any of their guys, bar Traore.

11 hours ago, ThOmO said:

won the penalty, had the ball taken off him by bobby, seemed to take humberance to that, and hasn't been the same since.

Humberance (n). Hull-based, female siblings of a person's parents.

13 hours ago, RedM said:

Neither of our loan signings have featured much. I guess unlike Tammy ( who is a near impossible hard act to follow) they don’t have clauses in their contracts insisting that they play? Can’t say I’ve been impressed with either, ok as cover but there must be better value out there, or better investments to be made. We have invested in players like a Brownhill, COD, Paterson etc so we just need to find similar not necessarily getting other teams players better.

send them both back imo, not been impressed with ether, 

10 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

This is harsh imo, raw and with little experience yea, but ‘completely lacking a footballing brain’ no. He’s on a decent prem teams books, he’s no fool. And his running/taking on players is so exciting. If he adds end product a la COD, what a prospect. 

You have a higher opinion of West Brom than I have, what have they produced in comparison to other Premiership clubs? I can’t say I follow West Brom very much but loaning a player from West Brom isn’t like having one from Chelsea.

I think it was Reading away that I was at when he came on at 0-0 (think it was his debut?). He absolutely terrorised the Reading defence and I am certain his impact was one of the main factors as to why we grabbed that late Flinty winner.

Granted he has been inconsistent since, but when you're a teenager, not getting much game time and are eager to impress when you come on, you are probably going to try and do too much to try and make that impact.

I have no doubt that he is a real talent, just needs to reign it in a bit and not try to take on the world when he comes on.

He has a lot to learn, yes. That run was great, if we were chasing the game it would have been different. Think he needs to learn when is the right time to beat a man and launch a cross into the box, no doubt that will come with age and experience. If we need an injection of pace, he is a good option. Overall, he has had two good games (Derby and Reading, when he came on), and two bad games (Burton and Leeds). I can see him going on and becoming a good top flight player with his footballing ability and raw talent if he learns a little more about the nature of the game.

I think a loan in this division is too soon for him. Especially as we can’t afford any slip ups at the moment and he’s liable to do so. I think more coaching at WBA will help him and maybe a season or two later, a loan move will help him further.

He’s still only 18 after all. Plenty of time!

30 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I think a loan in this division is too soon for him. Especially as we can’t afford any slip ups at the moment and he’s liable to do so. I think more coaching at WBA will help him and maybe a season or two later, a loan move will help him further.

He’s still only 18 after all. Plenty of time!

Perhaps, but the fact is, whether too soon or not, he is on loan - with us!

Coaching at WBA may well help him a season or two later, but doesn't do much for us today.

27 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Perhaps, but the fact is, whether too soon or not, he is on loan - with us!

Coaching at WBA may well help him a season or two later, but doesn't do much for us today.

We have to do our part in helping him grow. That is what the loan system is for. Even if he does not feature much for us, I am sure he will go back a better player. I know many say what is the point but any transfer is a gamble. Loans for young players more so but gaining the trust of clubs to lend us these raw talents is just as important as the impact the loan player has on the pitch. There are better prospects out there but we need to spread the word of our good work to get them. Not every player will adapt like Tammy. Plus it gives these players a fimiliarity with the club which may pay dividends down the road. I do not want it to sound like the playing impact is secondary because it is not. It is most important but there are other ways in which loans can work for us.

I believe Leko will help us gain points at some stage of the season. I look at the Burton game where I believe he made many poor decisions. Better decisions come with time but what I did like was he kept running at and beating the fullback. Was often in the box with his quick feet baiting defenders to put a foot in. Yes he was poor after he beat the fullback but imo was our most likely source of scoring that game via a penalty or even one correct decision. Look at Reading and Derby, the ability is there to be unplayable at this level. Add in top coaching for 6 months and by February I expect a much more controlled and thoughtful Leko. 

4 hours ago, Super said:

Harsh on Leko.

not really I rely liked junior he was exiting to watch belting down the wing beating people with ease, then the final ball oh dear! if only he had just taken a split second to think about what he was going to do he would have been a good player, hopefully because leko is still very young he will learn to look up before playing the final ball I hope so.

Archived