IGNORED

Sports Bar & Pizzeria for Manchester Game

KingLear

So we use the Sports Bar & Pizzeria on a weekly basis before the game and have booked a table for around 10-15 of us for every home game this season (including cup games). As a matter of course we order the drinks and food we want from the menus provided on the day, all a very good service, friendly staff with good quality food and drink on offer so first of all before I say anything else we have had no complaints whatsoever, well done to the club.

On to the matter at hand then, we have been informed that, if we wish to use the Sports Bar with our regular booking for the Manchester game, they are going to charge £40 per head for a set meal and require a 50% deposit up front. No offer to politely turn it down in favour of our regular set-up. Take it or leave it, this is happening.

As I have stated, I think what the Sports Bar provides is fantastic, however, I cannot fathom how they can justify suddenly springing this on regular customers who, taking into account this will be the 15th time this season we as a group would have been in this bar for food and drinks and the amount of money we would have spent in the process.

Needless to say it was a polite, thanks but no thanks and we will be taking our business elsewhere for this one. 

A bit annoying but I can see their point with this one. Going to be far too busy to open it up to all and sundry for this game so they need to put something like this in place and only take pre bookings. That way everyone knows where they stand before they turn up for the game and can make alternative arrangements.

Don't get me wrong, £40 is ridiculous money for a bit of glorified cheese on toast and a place to sit down but no doubt they will still sell out. 

Unfortunately your loyalty doesn't count for much when there's more money to be made. 

Yep, got the same response. I originally sent three emails asking to book a table and got no response. So eventually I went down and booked it no problem. A week later I got an email telling me that it was now £40 a head (to help ensure good service apparently :blink:) for a three course set menu. I say three courses, but I don't exactly class "access to the Bristol Sport cheese board" as a dessert!!

Anyway, I ignored it and will take my custom elsewhere for that evening (and probably future matchdays too).

12 minutes ago, KingLear said:

So we use the Sports Bar & Pizzeria on a weekly basis before the game and have booked a table for around 10-15 of us for every home game this season (including cup games). As a matter of course we order the drinks and food we want from the menus provided on the day, all a very good service, friendly staff with good quality food and drink on offer so first of all before I say anything else we have had no complaints whatsoever, well done to the club.

On to the matter at hand then, we have been informed that, if we wish to use the Sports Bar with our regular booking for the Manchester game, they are going to charge £40 per head for a set meal and require a 50% deposit up front. No offer to politely turn it down in favour of our regular set-up. Take it or leave it, this is happening.

As I have stated, I think what the Sports Bar provides is fantastic, however, I cannot fathom how they can justify suddenly springing this on regular customers who, taking into account this will be the 15th time this season we as a group would have been in this bar for food and drinks and the amount of money we would have spent in the process.

Needless to say it was a polite, thanks but no thanks and we will be taking our business elsewhere for this one. 

This came up in another thread, appreciate that this is a chance to earn a few quid, but IF we were to be promoted to the Prem, this sort of game would be a fairly regular occurrence.

As for the forty quid. To me it just smacks of the publican who decides to charge his regulars to go to his pub on New Years Eve and gets annoyed when it's March before his regulars have returned.

22 minutes ago, KingLear said:

13 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

Yep, got the same response. I originally sent three emails asking to book a table and got no response. So eventually I went down and booked it no problem. A week later I got an email telling me that it was now £40 a head (to help ensure good service apparently :blink:) for a three course set menu. I say three courses, but I don't exactly class "access to the Bristol Sport cheese board" as a dessert!!

Anyway, I ignored it and will take my custom elsewhere for that evening (and probably future matchdays too).

10 minutes ago, bris red said:

Naive to think loyalty means anything to the club. I think the greed shown by the club for this game speaks volumes but there you go, if you dont like it dont pay for it and all that.

Pretty sad tales though nonetheless. It really is pathetically poor PR by the club. If it was me I would write a letter to Steve Lansdown, nobody else, and politely point out why they dropped a huge clanger on this one. I think there is a chance he may not even know about it.

p.s. I would like to point out that I have now secured a ticket for this game and am flying back 2 days early; for my pre match delights I shall be enjoying a home made Cornish Pastie probably washed down with half a Thatchers. An unashamed plug... for pasties. :) 

From my point of view, it's a sports bar, not a restaurant. If you want to charge per head for a set meal then you've got the Lansdown restaurant etc but that's just my opinion.

The main reason we frequent this place is because of an elderly member (90) of the group who is less mobile and it's ideal to get him the relatively short distance to his seat. 

But as others have said, maybe naive of us to expect any loyalty when there's money to be made and there will be others happy to take our seats. 

3 minutes ago, KingLear said:

From my point of view, it's a sports bar, not a restaurant. If you want to charge per head for a set meal then you've got the Lansdown restaurant etc but that's just my opinion.

The main reason we frequent this place is because of an elderly member (90) of the group who is less mobile and it's ideal to get him the relatively short distance to his seat. 

But as others have said, maybe naive of us to expect any loyalty when there's money to be made and there will be others happy to take our seats. 

For that single reason and that single supporter alone the club needs to have a re-think. I would be absolutely livid if I was that gentleman and tell the club to stick their business I really would. That is shameful. 

7 minutes ago, myol'man said:

I know someone, without a ticket, who is planning to watch it on the big screen in the Sports Bar. What's to stop him if he gets in early doors?

Probably getting within 300 yards of Ashton Gate without a ticket.

That said, if they are early enough they are unlikely to be checked.

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

For that single reason and that single supporter alone the club needs to have a re-think. I would be absolutely livid if I was that gentleman and tell the club to stick their business I really would. That is shameful. 

Unfortunately, as much as we would love to say stick your business, due to circumstances already mentioned we will be back in there the very next game as a having a guaranteed spot to sit down is essential. 

We will be happy enough with that as we have a good time and like I said the staff are fantastic. It's no fault of there's that this scenario has come up. Just disappointed with the club on this one as it smacks of money grabbing, not even 90 years of dedication can buy loyalty it seems. 

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Will they be showing it even? Asking for trouble if they do as a few will try what your mate`s planning to do IMO.

Been my thought all along, they can’t show it. Anybody watching it could easily gain access into the stadium during half time.

25 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Unfortunately, as much as we would love to say stick your business, due to circumstances already mentioned we will be back in there the very next game as a having a guaranteed spot to sit down is essential. 

We will be happy enough with that as we have a good time and like I said the staff are fantastic. It's no fault of there's that this scenario has come up. Just disappointed with the club on this one as it smacks of money grabbing, not even 90 years of dedication can buy loyalty it seems. 

You’re not missing out - unless all you want in a £40 meal is cheese. The three course are goats cheese tart, cheese pizza and cheese board. Not even kidding!

This isn't the club's doing I'm sure - this is to be laid fairly and squarely at the feet of the Doughballers who own the concession. And as far as I know it hasn't yet sold out as they're doing a "follow us and retweet" giveaway on twitter. £40 is top dollar though tbf  

So I guess follow and share via @doughballers if you do want a chance to get a table! 

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

This isn't the club's doing I'm sure - this is to be laid fairly and squarely at the feet of the Doughballers who own the concession. And as far as I know it hasn't yet sold out as they're doing a "follow us and retweet" giveaway on twitter. £40 is top dollar though tbf  

So I guess follow and share via @doughballers if you do want a chance to get a table! 

I went there once. Service was awful. Got a voucher for next time. Had to scoff the pizza or would have missed kick off. 

I’d tell them to **** off. And never go there again.

The sad thing is how the club is no longer that. It’s a cash cow for its owner. Yep - here he goes again...

Its the C word I’m afraid. Contempt. And the 4 letter one. Cash.

All that’s shown towards fans as those in charge and who can look for as many ways to get a return on their investment.

And if you or I wanted to do the same and cash in on our tickets they’d do all they could to prevent it.

Compare that approach to the one demonstrated in the City Chelsea fixture that’s on the forum at the moment. The pitch looks dreadful but I’d swap those times for these without a blink of the eye.

Says all that’s wrong with football today. 

24 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I’d tell them to **** off. And never go there again.

The sad thing is how the club is no longer that. It’s a cash cow for its owner. Yep - here he goes again...

Its the C word I’m afraid. Contempt. And the 4 letter one. Cash.

All that’s shown towards fans as those in charge and who can look for as many ways to get a return on their investment.

And if you or I wanted to do the same and cash in on our tickets they’d do all they could to prevent it.

Compare that approach to the one demonstrated in the City Chelsea fixture that’s on the forum at the moment. The pitch looks dreadful but I’d swap those times for these without a blink of the eye.

Says all that’s wrong with football today. 

But it’s NOT club’s doing! 

If city put the beer prices up for the game in the SBP then maybe - just maybe - you might have a point (or a pint) but until then maybe count to ten? Or twenty? 

12 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

But it’s NOT club’s doing! 

If city put the beer prices up for the game in the SBP then maybe - just maybe - you might have a point (or a pint) but until then maybe count to ten? Or twenty? 

Who grants the concession?

Ah yes. That’ll probably be Bristol Sport. Might well be someone else who makes and serves the pizzas, but who allowed them to do so in the first place?

Probably a competitive tender and free market will be a justification.

I’d still tell them to **** off ;)

14 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Will they be showing it even? Asking for trouble if they do as a few will try what your mate`s planning to do IMO.

14 hours ago, chowie said:

Been my thought all along, they can’t show it. Anybody watching it could easily gain access into the stadium during half time.

15 hours ago, myol'man said:

I know someone, without a ticket, who is planning to watch it on the big screen in the Sports Bar. What's to stop him if he gets in early doors?

@Mkelly must be aware of this?

40 quid might be a bit toppy but I imagine they've gone full reservation as otherwise the bar will be overrun. Service would be dreadful and before you know it everyone would be upset about the poor planning. That bit, at least, seems sensible to me. 

The three cheese course menu, less so! 

Archived