IGNORED

Customer, Supporter or both - Rant!

Sandhurst Red

Apologies to use the virtues of the forum for this but I need to have a vent about the conduct of certain staff members in our ticket office. It got me thinking, do the club treat us a customer first, or prey on the loyalty nature of being a supporter and therefore feel it can adopt a different attitude toward you?

On numerous occasions before, their attitude has been somewhat wayward when dealing with queries but this morning has taken it to a new high (or low - depending which way you look at it).

When the online system works, it is superb - but when it doesn't and you need to speak to someone, you know it won't end well.

So I tried to purchase 1x Adult and 2x Under 8 tickets for the QPR away game and the system said no. So I called the ticket office and got told it was only one under 8 ticket per adult. Nowhere does it state this and in fact, on the ticket pdf page the club creates it says 'Under-8 free with a Paying Adult'

https://tickets.bristol-sport.co.uk/documents/pdf/2017-18 QPR Away New PDF.pdf

When I queried this, I got a 'Tough, not my problem' response and when I asked to speak to someone else or more senior, that was met with a disgruntled sigh and a 'they're not here...'

Anyhow, I took matters into my own hands and spoke to QPR who confirmed that I was eligible for 2 Under 8 tickets with an adult ticket. Informed the BCFC ticket office of this, who did to their credit then sort out. It was only my tenacity, phoning of another clubs ticket office and knowing of equal prices etc. for home and away fans in certain sections that most league clubs now operate that enabled me to get what should have been offered in the first place.

No apology was given when they rang back to sort out payment etc. which again just highlights to me that some at the club need a basic course in manners and customer service. It would seem that we are not treated as customers and the notion of what a fan even is, seems long forgotten. 

At least there is plenty of good stuff to cheer on the pitch eh!

Bristol Sport see you as a CUSTOMER, a WALKING WALLET. Not a supporter unfortunately. The days of Beryl Fudge in the portacabin are long gone. I hurts but it's true. And yes, I could quote examples all night long to back up what I'm saying, but won't.

Like others I've never been treated in a disrespectful way and consequently never had a problem whoever I've called them.

Sounds like you were badly treated. That might be the people you spoke to weren't fully aware of the ticket arrangements which in turn smacks of poor communication within the ticket office.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experiance, I recently messed up a ticket purchase and the telephone staff couldn't have been more helpful after about 3 attempts due to dropping calls.

I would expect there are a number of overflow phones and staff due to increased demand at the moment.

I cant fault the club on anything at the minute.. on and off the pitch.

Every time I've dealt with supporter services the individual has been very helpful and well on the pitch we all know how well that's going.

We are customers as the club needs the revenue generated from ticket sales/food &drink/merchandise but first and foremost we are supporters/fans. 

People hark back to the days of Beryl Fudge and she was, indeed, the very epitome of the club spirit at that time.

I'm fairly sure, however, that she would have been vilified by some for struggling to cope in these days of crowds twice the size that can't just turn up and pay cash at the turnstiles, where a proportion always seem to have some kind of special circumstances that they need sorting out.

The club are improving their customer service, indeed I have always been sorted straight away on the phone over the past couple of years. However, any organisation of any reasonable size is always going to get complaints. The real issues occur when these complaints mount up. Thankfully they seem to be getting fewer these days, rather than more.

Still doesn't mean I necessarily like being treated as a 'customer' these days as opposed to a supporter though. It's just the way football is now unfortunately.

13 hours ago, KevP said:

The days of Beryl Fudge in the portacabin are long gone. I hurts but it's true. And yes, I could quote examples all night long to back up what I'm saying, but won't.

54 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

People hark back to the days of Beryl Fudge and she was, indeed, the very epitome of the club spirit at that time.

I'm fairly sure, however, that she would have been vilified by some for struggling to cope in these days of crowds twice the size that can't just turn up and pay cash at the turnstiles, where a proportion always seem to have some kind of special circumstances that they need sorting out.

There have been numerous posts over the years saying how player X or manager Y was a superstar etc., but I am sure that anybody who had the pleasure of dealing with the late Beryl Fudge would rate her as highly as any player/manager, then or now.

She was just adorable, even when she was shouting at you and telling you off.  

14 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Love my club on the pitch , hate my club of it totally useless in all aspects of customer service always have been always will be.

Sorry but that’s simply not the case. Sounds like you’ve had a bad experience but you’re talking rubbish. 

When I had an online order for Father’s Day not arrive in the post in time a few years ago, a member of the club shop personally drove a 40 minute round trip to hand deliver me the items I’d ordered so my Dad wouldn’t be left empty handed on Father’s Day. 

Just one example of staff going above and beyond and I’m sure there are many more stories like this. 

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sorry but that’s simply not the case. Sounds like you’ve had a bad experience but you’re talking rubbish. 

When I had an online order for Father’s Day not arrive in the post in time a few years ago, a member of the club shop personally drove a 40 minute round trip to hand deliver me the items I’d ordered so my Dad wouldn’t be left empty handed on Father’s Day. 

Just one example of staff going above and beyond and I’m sure there are many more stories like this. 

when season ticket card/books didn't arrive on time, players and club staff hand delivered them

There seems a large majority confirming that the ticket office are excellent over  the phone and I would add my support to that.

Its disappointing if they have been dismissive to the odd supporter, but it’s seems clear they’re very helpful to most (except bengalcub who seems to loathe the club he supports).

I think anyone who works in a customer service related role is well acquainted with the fact that it's the difficult and awkward customers that can never be pleased (and there are always some) that are the ones that shout and complain the loudest.

Of course, these particular customers can never see that they are difficult and awkward. But you always seem to be dealing with the same handful no matter how many thousands of customers you have out there.

The fact these complaints are fewer each season suggests the club has been getting better with its service.

I'd also say that it is often the same people who seem to have the issues, and while the person they speak to should be as professional as they can, perhaps the manner they are speaking to the staff to begin with is a part of the problem.

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

Bristol 86 , I could list all occasions of terrible service I’ve received but what’s the point , three things guaranteed in life , tax ,death and horrendous customer service from my club . 

Utter rubbish. That parking ticket was karma for all the tripe you post on here!

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I think anyone who works in a customer service related role is well acquainted with the fact that it's the difficult and awkward customers that can never be pleased (and there are always some) that are the ones that shout and complain the loudest.

Of course, these particular customers can never see that they are difficult and awkward. But you always seem to be dealing with the same handful no matter how many thousands of customers you have out there.

When I worked in Local Authority housing we used to say we spent 90% of our time on 10% of the tenants.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

The fact these complaints are fewer each season suggests the club has been getting better with its service.

I'd also say that it is often the same people who seem to have the issues, and while the person they speak to should be as professional as they can, perhaps the manner they are speaking to the staff to begin with is a part of the problem.

Exactly. I worked in a call centre and some guy there used to say to customers "if your neighbour on the left hates you, then don't talk to him. If the neighbour on the right hates you too, look at yourself". Terrible saying, but I imagined it annoyed whoever was shouting at him.

I recommend bengalclub looks at the way he speaks to people and he might realise why people speak to him the way they do.

2 minutes ago, grifty said:

Exactly. I worked in a call centre and some guy there used to say to customers "if your neighbour on the left hates you, then don't talk to him. If the neighbour on the right hates you too, look at yourself". Terrible saying, but I imagined it annoyed whoever was shouting at him.

I recommend bengalclub looks at the way he speaks to people and he might realise why people speak to him the way they do.

Very true though. We had a couple move in next door about ten years ago who announced straight away that they`d lived all over the country but had been forced to move loads of times because of `awful neighbours`.

Total arseholes and moved on six months later after pissing off half the village.

Red right hand unlike some on here I don’t attack people with words , look around the forum and it’s clear to see the issues aren’t the way us fans talk to the club we love , they provide a service we expect a service.

as you don’t know me I’m not sure how you can make a sweeping statement against my character ? 

On 05/12/2017 at 19:13, bengalcub said:

Love my club on the pitch , hate my club of it totally useless in all aspects of customer service always have been always will be.

Has always felt like an us vs them problem with the staff at this club, even with staff who post on this forum. Even @AdamB replied to one of my questions the other day on Twitter with an extremely rude/sarcastic reply which was completely needless.

15 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

I hate it when things get resolved to a satisfactory conclusion and I get my kids in to matches for free :sad26:

I don't hate the conclusion, and i'm not sure why your response is so sarcastic tbh.

I'm glad that all was resolved - but that was the offer that should have been presented in the first place - and without the attitude.

Why should I as a customer have to be spoken to how I was, and to then point out their mistakes.

The second person I dealt with was much better - but I do think the club should adopt a far more customer focused mentality. 

On 06/12/2017 at 10:32, Leveller said:

There seems a large majority confirming that the ticket office are excellent over  the phone and I would add my support to that.

Its disappointing if they have been dismissive to the odd supporter, but it’s seems clear they’re very helpful to most (except bengalcub who seems to loathe the club he supports).

Genuinely glad to know.

As I say, not all been bad expereinces but the last few times have not been great.

Archived