IGNORED

Just how good is this squad?

Alan Dicks

Its easy to say it’s good when things are going well. We’ve seen the flip side before. 

The one thing I’ve always dreamt of was having a manager that makes the team play At a better standard than the sum of its parts. I think we’re seeing that now. 

I think we’re punching above our weight. And long may it continue. 

9 minutes ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Personally I would say that the current squad harmony is the best I've ever seen at City. Everybody is working for each other and we have some real team players who are enjoying their football and it's showing.

At the time I would of said the same about SC's promotion winning side.

Surely better now but the challenge is greater also.

21 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Its easy to say it’s good when things are going well. We’ve seen the flip side before. 

The one thing I’ve always dreamt of was having a manager that makes the team play At a better standard than the sum of its parts. I think we’re seeing that now. 

I think we’re punching above our weight. And long may it continue. 

Yep, haven’t had that since 07/08 and this squad reminds me of it in so many ways, which I suggest is no coincidence!

I said on Saturday night that this team / squad / group of players have got something about them, and i’m beginning to think our current position in the top 6 is justified, and not a flash in the fan.

@Fordy62‘s comment about sum of parts is very true.

We’ve moaned over the past two seasons that this division has workmanlike teams that managers get results against us....now it’s us doing that to these teams.  Workmanlike is harsh on us, because I see flair in our group, but then again maybe it was harsh to call those opponent workmanlike too.

Set yourself up solid, and you give yourself a chance.

I think coupled with the above we are seeing improved performances from:

• Flint - playing the best i’ve seen from him.  I’ve always liked him, but also seen his weaknesses.  Those weaknesses aren’t very evident in a very good partnership with Baker, and also Wright on his outside, and Pisano earlier in the season - both who can defend and mean Aden has nothing to worry about, but his own game.
  • Bryan - Macca’s influence?  Not gonna add anything more to what’s already been said.
  • Smith - written off by a large portion on here last season...don’t underestimate the power of a full pre-season.  Very few in the last 35-40 years have reached Gow’s level, but Korey is probably the nearest...still not Gow (I have to take people’s word re Shelton, never saw much of him)
  • Brownhill - grown since his goal v Brighton, ahead of Pack imho (didn’t see that happening by Xmas)
  • Paterson - kicked on from his Good finish from last season.  The lack of Tomlin has helped him flourish.  Not just a regular starter, but probably one of the 3/4 key players.
  • O’Dowda - improved, but only in the last 2 months imho. Again, like Brownhill, a goal seems to have made a big difference.  Early season he was still as frustrating as last.  
  • Reid - nuff saif

So there’s 7 players who’ve upped their game.  I’d suggest that is a big reason for the sum of parts.

To me the current healthy state of the club both on and off the pitch is down to one man - Steve Lansdown 

He employed LJ and gave him the freedom to bring in his own people and to rebuild the squad using the policy of developing young players either from the academy or signings from other clubs. 

LJ has done that very well indeed and is repaying the trust SL showed in him but what really impressed me earlier this season was when he made nine changes to face Stoke and still beat them. That was a solid reflection of just how deep the squad has become and that's down to LJ signing the right players able to play to his style.

Since then the injury curse has hit and yet despite 4 or 5 first team regulars missing City are still able to put on some terrific displays. Some of the one touch play against Boro was breathtaking and fantastic to see.

So......the current squad is about the best City have had in my time watching the City.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

...the current squad is about the best City have had in my time watching the City.

This squad is good, and I'm enjoying watching them.......but this team was the best!

Cashley, Sweeney Drysdale Gow Collier Merrick Tainton Ritchie Mann Cheesley Whitehead. Sub: Fear

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

This squad is good, and I'm enjoying watching them.......but this team was the best!

Cashley, Sweeney Drysdale Gow Collier Merrick Tainton Ritchie Mann Cheesley Whitehead. Sub: Fear

Indeed they were! but the same level of current injuries to that squad would have devastated it.

Well this has to be the easiest on the eye football City side that iv ever seen.

That's not to say our top flight side wasn't the best up to now. Always think it's     imposable to compare teams that played 40 years apart.

But this squad seems like there at the start of a journey and can only improve.  If we can avoid anymore bad injuries and with a couple of quality signings in Jan, we have a real chance of challenging  right to the end.

Whatever happens this season (if we don't make it) Feel were only going to grow as a club. Can't thing of to many in this division that have it mapped out better than we do.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Until it at least matches what we achieved in 2007/8, then this is all just words.

Someone on here keeps claiming Danny Wilson's squad was the best since then and they couldn't even ever get out of League One.

Danny Wilson didn't have much of a squad if I remember rightly but he produced some some delightful football. Quite remarkable considering the resources at his disposal.

In fact some of the one touch football City produced against Boro was even better than the top stuff  DW produced.

I think this squad is now clearly capable, with a few key signings in January, to take us up.  Goalkeeper. Centre Back, creative midfielder with solid experience, and a centre forward (this last forced on us because of injuries) are the minimum required in my opinion

The question is do they have the quality to stay up as our last promotion side to top flight had

If promoted we shall need to spend really big on say five players to give ourselves a chance of matching the earlier side.  Maybe less than five if we spend well in January

Thus two transfer windows in which we have to spend to capitalise on progress made so far.  Not something historically we've been good at. But we can only dream that this time the club won't, as it were, drop the ball

59 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Danny Wilson didn't have much of a squad if I remember rightly but he produced some some delightful football. Quite remarkable considering the resources at his disposal.

In fact some of the one touch football City produced against Boro was even better than the top stuff  DW produced.

Not much of a squad! His centre forward cost him £600k and his supporting striker cost us £1m, how did he ever manage to get results against the likes of Wrexham, Stockport and Colchester, eh?

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not much of a squad! His centre forward cost him £600k and his supporting striker cost us £1m, how did he ever manage to get results against the likes of Wrexham, Stockport and Colchester, eh?

Compared to our current squad in terms of size, depth and quality DW squad was limited. He couldn't really cover two or three injured senior players unlike these days. 

Despite those limited resources his teams were a joy to watch. 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

I think this squad is now clearly capable, with a few key signings in January, to take us up.  Goalkeeper. Centre Back, creative midfielder with solid experience, and a centre forward (this last forced on us because of injuries) are the minimum required in my opinion

The question is do they have the quality to stay up as our last promotion side to top flight had

If promoted we shall need to spend really big on say five players to give ourselves a chance of matching the earlier side.  Maybe less than five if we spend well in January

Thus two transfer windows in which we have to spend to capitalise on progress made so far.  Not something historically we've been good at. But we can only dream that this time the club won't, as it were, drop the ball

Got to disagree about needing a goalkeeper and centre back, Fieldings distribution may not be up to much (although it isn't as bad as people make it out to be) but he is a premier league standard shot stopper and at the end of the day that's what he is paid to do.

As for centre backs, we have Flint, Baker, Magnússon and Wright all to choose from at the minute, with hegeler coming back from injury and even Taylor Moore able to be recalled, no need for any fresh blood there

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yep, haven’t had that since 07/08 and this squad reminds me of it in so many ways, which I suggest is no coincidence!

We play far better football than that squad ever did and we have more strength in depth... also many of our current squad will become PL players unlike the 07/08 team.

Looking good, but still desperate to pass that 56 points total. Then breath, relax and enjoy. 

On the (massive) assumption we don't lose anyone in the window, suspect 2 loans in January, forward to replace Woodrow and a central mid. Aside from that comfortable with what we have and have belief that the manager/coaches can develop this bunch of players into something immense.

Really worry though that at least one of Flinty, Joe, Bobby and Josh may be inticed away.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I said on Saturday night that this team / squad / group of players have got something about them, and i’m beginning to think our current position in the top 6 is justified, and not a flash in the fan.

@Fordy62‘s comment about sum of parts is very true.

We’ve moaned over the past two seasons that this division has workmanlike teams that managers get results against us....now it’s us doing that to these teams.  Workmanlike is harsh on us, because I see flair in our group, but then again maybe it was harsh to call those opponent workmanlike too.

Set yourself up solid, and you give yourself a chance.

I think coupled with the above we are seeing improved performances from:

• Flint - playing the best i’ve seen from him.  I’ve always liked him, but also seen his weaknesses.  Those weaknesses aren’t very evident in a very good partnership with Baker, and also Wright on his outside, and Pisano earlier in the season - both who can defend and mean Aden has nothing to worry about, but his own game.
  • Bryan - Macca’s influence?  Not gonna add anything more to what’s already been said.
  • Smith - written off by a large portion on here last season...don’t underestimate the power of a full pre-season.  Very few in the last 35-40 years have reached Gow’s level, but Korey is probably the nearest...still not Gow (I have to take people’s word re Shelton, never saw much of him)
  • Brownhill - grown since his goal v Brighton, ahead of Pack imho (didn’t see that happening by Xmas)
  • Paterson - kicked on from his Good finish from last season.  The lack of Tomlin has helped him flourish.  Not just a regular starter, but probably one of the 3/4 key players.
  • O’Dowda - improved, but only in the last 2 months imho. Again, like Brownhill, a goal seems to have made a big difference.  Early season he was still as frustrating as last.  
  • Reid - nuff saif

So there’s 7 players who’ve upped their game.  I’d suggest that is a big reason for the sum of parts.

You can add Fielding to that list as well

8 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

We play far better football than that squad ever did and we have more strength in depth... also many of our current squad will become PL players unlike the 07/08 team.

Oh there’s no doubt that this is a far better squad technically. But it’s also a very different league now to back then. 

My point was more about the spirit and ‘bleed for each other’ mentality that Johnson Snr bred - there’s clear influences of his philosophies coming through in LJ. 

GJ would have a Paterson over a Tomlin anyday, as an example, as he understood that the team as a whole was better than the individuals that comprised it. 

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Compared to our current squad in terms of size, depth and quality DW squad was limited. He couldn't really cover two or three injured senior players unlike these days. 

Despite those limited resources his teams were a joy to watch. 

Compared to our current squad every single one we had in League One was limited.

Wilson spent £1m on Peacock and Lee Miller that's how limited his resources were.

Difference was Gary Johnson & Steve Cotterill got us promoted within a year despite (unlike Wilson) both selling a player for £2m.

53 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Compared to our current squad every single one we had in League One was limited.

Wilson spent £1m on Peacock and Lee Miller that's how limited his resources were.

Difference was Gary Johnson & Steve Cotterill got us promoted within a year despite (unlike Wilson) both selling a player for £2m.

Squads aren't judged by how many expensive players there are. They're measured by strength and depth and being able to cover every position with quality players - as LJ is able to do currently.

DW didn't have that luxury unfortunately.

13 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Personally I would say that the current squad harmony is the best I've ever seen at City. Everybody is working for each other and we have some real team players who are enjoying their football and it's showing.

Totally agree with this...

I wouldn't say we have the most talented individuals, but we definitely have a great team.

We haven't won anything yet...but it just goes to show, that if you have a plan and believe in it, given time you can achieve.

And this is the biggest problem in football imo...managers just aren't given enough time. They are restrained by transfer windows and players contracts and budgets. Things need to fall in to place, but it is impossible to do in one season.

Certain fans have been sceptical of our 'Blueprint'...because it was impossible to achieve anything quickly.

Buying young hungry players with talent, that can be developed to play in a way you want, will take time. Once it's ingrained and an ethos taken on board, those developed players will shine.

Just as importantly.....that 'DNA' they speak of. You can have all the 'talent' in the world, but if your 'character' doesn't fit, then it can have a massive effect on the team...Dare I say Tomlin and Matthews?

Get all those 'ingredients' right, and you've a good chance of it working.

Talented developed players, with a hunger to work for everyone, harmony, belief in the system and manager and coaching staff....get the fans behind you....all on board for a great ride.

There are definite similarities to our rise in the 70's for those old enough to remember. We had a group of young players who struggled a bit to start with but improved year on year. At the start of '74 we had the good FA Cup run where we beat Leeds who were top of Div 1 at the time. The following season 74-75 was similar to this one, we were generally around the top 6 and threatened the top two once or twice without quite getting there. 75-76 we improved again and always looked like going up. Maybe this season we won't quite do it, but if not we should be stronger again next year if we can hang on to our best players and add one or two.

The team spirit definitely seems to be excellent this season - up there with GJ's play-off side and Cotts's title winning side. One of the things that concerned me most last season was that harmony in the squad seemed to be being eroded, but credit to LJ and his staff - we now have a squad where everyone knows their job and is working together. That togetherness is so important in football. Long may it continue. I'm really enjoying this season.

Archived