IGNORED

Alleged Staff Treatment by BCFC

Big C

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sorry to hear @Ruddie - doesn’t make good reading - genuine question but what does it say in your terms of employment regarding the ticket arrangements? 

To be honest I don’t think there is any contract of employment, not that I recall or was given, and I never really questioned this as it wasn’t about the money or terms it was more about getting to see the game, I hadn’t been able to afford to go for a few years before starting (previously a st for many years prior to the gap) and had a new baby on the way at the time so this was ideal for me to be able to watch the team I love every week,  this is what is quoted from the first correspondence I had about the role pay etc etc 

Sellers are required to be at the ground by 1pm for Saturday matches and 6pmfor evening matches. Work is done right up until kick-off. At that stage sellers return to the Community Trust office with their cash, tickets etc. You are then free to watch the match (probably missing the first 5 minutes).

Free entry to matches is the main incentive

14 minutes ago, Ruddie said:

To be honest I don’t think there is any contract of employment, not that I recall or was given, and I never really questioned this as it wasn’t about the money or terms it was more about getting to see the game, I hadn’t been able to afford to go for a few years before starting (previously a st for many years prior to the gap) and had a new baby on the way at the time so this was ideal for me to be able to watch the team I love every week,  this is what is quoted from the first correspondence I had about the role pay etc etc 

Sellers are required to be at the ground by 1pm for Saturday matches and 6pmfor evening matches. Work is done right up until kick-off. At that stage sellers return to the Community Trust office with their cash, tickets etc. You are then free to watch the match (probably missing the first 5 minutes).

Free entry to matches is the main incentive

A lawyer etc would have this in knots. ‘You are then free to watch the match’ isn’t the same as ‘you can then watch the match for free’. They could just as well said ‘you are then free to go home/shopping/ to the pub’ as it simply imply you are no longer needed to work that day.

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

A lawyer etc would have this in knots. ‘You are then free to watch the match’ isn’t the same as ‘you can then watch the match for free’. They could just as well said ‘you are then free to go home/shopping/ to the pub’ as it simply imply you are no longer needed to work that day.

But The job advert stipulates that remuneration includes a match ticket. Its a poxy two hour job at minimum wage stood out in all weathers. The incentive to do the job as stated by this seller is the match ticket. People are now talking about contracts and lawyers because a half a dozen people have had the rug pulled from beneath them. I can understand why people have resigned over this, its not worth the hassle.

24 minutes ago, RedM said:

The next line is ‘free entry is the main incentive...’

1 hour ago, Ruddie said:

The next line is ‘free entry is the main incentive...’

Apologies then i misunderstood. I thought that you had added that wording in not that it appeared in the job advert or your contract. Have i got thst right?

So to be clear you get paid minimum wage (two hours) do you get commission on tickets sold?  Then it sounds like free entry is included, as it states its the main incentive (for selling the tickets). I guess programme sellers have the same deal.

How many are there of you btw, cant be more than 10 of each is there? Very small numbers in the scheme of things.

25 minutes ago, RedM said:

So to be clear you get paid minimum wage (two hours) do you get commission on tickets sold?  Then it sounds like free entry is included, as it states its the main incentive (for selling the tickets). I guess programme sellers have the same deal.

How many are there of you btw, cant be more than 10 of each is there? Very small numbers in the scheme of things.

it used to be commission only and now its a fixed amount which i think is like £6 an hour or something close to that with no commission, the rest of the sentence was along the lines of but as a small bonus you get paid xyz, so it was sold on the basis of the entry, when myself and another person started we weren't even aware of the pay until we had confirmation of starting, not sure on programme sellers but think now there is about 8 (maybe less now as another has resigned due to this situation)

24 minutes ago, RedM said:

Ok I will fess up I am Spartacus, sorry a seller or rather I was a seller. I didn’t confirm that before now because up to this morning I still had a job but not a ticket, I now have a ticket but no longer the job.

I’d been a fan for 40 years and when I saw an advert at the start of our first season back in the League One in 2013  I thought it was a good deal and great way to watch my team every week without a need for a season ticket which I was too tight to buy. That first season saw a 3-0 home defeat to Peterborough and a celebration of a home point against Leyton Orient and funnily enough it wasn’t hard to find a seat after finishing work.

Even so there have been big games and big crowds, even that season with Rovers in the JPT and in seasons after with West Ham in the cup, that final game against Walsall when we were crowned champions and last year with the sell out against Birmingham with no hint of being charged or fearing that we would not get a ticket.

People have been saying what’s in your contract, I don’t know, I’ve never seen or wanted to see a contract it’s a two hour job at minimum wage (which we do pay tax on) if I wasn’t happy with something then I would quit. When I first started it was commission based only with payment of 10p for every ticket sold. It was then switched to minimum wage with no commission a couple of seasons later.

My only incentive for doing this job was for the match ticket, I would have happily not been paid for it if it guarantee me entry to the game every week and that is the main reason I have resigned

Of course I’m disappointed that I had to pay for this ticket and as @Ruddiehas said we had been asking ever since the draw was made what would the situation would be with regards to tickets and had not received a definitive answer, even as late as last Saturdays game against Middleborough and remember we have no purchase history so we couldn’t get in on any of the priority groups.

Like I said I am disappointed to have to buy a ticket for this game but I can sort of understand the logistics behind it and the difficulties that must have been faced. However I was more concerned about the uncertainly on whether we would get a ticket at all and if City continue to be successful as we all hope then these big games will become more frequent and if the guarantee isn't there for a ticket or if I'm more frequently required to buy a ticket then the motive for doing the job is no longer there. Therefore I've decided to bite the bullet and will be purchasing a half year season ticket, with a view of buying a full season ticket in the summer. So with that being the case I have resigned.

At the end of day we are talking about 8 sellers for the match day draw (well 7 now), I don’t know the number of programme sellers that are affected. Most of them have been working a lot longer than me. The couple in charge of the Match Day draw have also resigned after 25 years in the job over this matter. Another seller has refused to buy a match ticket and has stated he won’t go to the game now even if was offered a free one but he still intends to work at the game.

Thank you for your honesty. What a mess. And i can only see the implications dragging on well after the ManU match. I think a lot of goodwill has been lost mostly caused once again by lack of communication.  

Sounds like a real balls up in communication but if £30 is what it’s cost you to see every game since 2013 in addition to earning a wage then you’ve done quite well - though I fully appreciate thats not the point if people’s word/promises have been reneged on. 

Think you’ve done the right thing - buy a ST and enjoy the games without the associated hassle!

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

is there ****, he's pump what 100 million into the club now with writing off debt refurbing the stadium etc how much has he made, I'd wager no where close to breaking even,

The only way lansdown would make money is to sell the club

Mr Lansdown has not written off club debts. He turned debts into equity and loaned the FC money - Its in the accounts.

The only way Mr Lansdown would make money is to sell the club ... Hardly. Firstly the club has little to sell as it does not own the building based assets it resides in, and secondly the FC has debts (in the form of loans - check the accounts), anybody purchasing an FC without a ground and debts would be a nutcase.

Whatever point you are making is lost if you ... Make things up ... Again.

3 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Sounds like a real balls up in communication but if £30 is what it’s cost you to see every game since 2013 in addition to earning a wage then you’ve done quite well - though I fully appreciate thats not the point if people’s word/promises have been reneged on. 

Think you’ve done the right thing - buy a ST and enjoy the games without the associated hassle!

Not sure what you mean when you say that we've done quite well. Its part of the job package that was offered to us. How many people do you know that when offered a job say 'Oh that's too much can you pay less please'

14 minutes ago, Big C said:

Not sure what you mean when you say that we've done quite well. Its part of the job package that was offered to us. How many people do you know that when offered a job say 'Oh that's too much can you pay less please'

That’s not what I was saying. I was essentially just saying chalk it up as a bad experience (seems to be a one off incident in four years based on the info) and take the positives and move on - I’m sure you’ll have a much better match day experience now you’ve got a ticket that you can enjoy with or worrying about a couple of hours of min wage work in all weathers! 

3 hours ago, Big C said:

But The job advert stipulates that remuneration includes a match ticket. Its a poxy two hour job at minimum wage stood out in all weathers. The incentive to do the job as stated by this seller is the match ticket. People are now talking about contracts and lawyers because a half a dozen people have had the rug pulled from beneath them. I can understand why people have resigned over this, its not worth the hassle.

People keep talking about a Match Ticket and Complimentaries. No, there are not ever any tickets given. You show your pass at the Gate and walk in to find an empty seat. That's it.

7 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

******* hell. Here we go again.

You think he does it for fun? The love of it? Some other altruistic reason?

Ultimately yes I think there is a financial reason for him doing what he does. Why else would you introduce an insurance offer?

You think he spends £50 million on rebuilding the stadium, writes off tens of millions of losses and makes a profit out of doing it..?

Yes, I very much believe that he is doing it out of goodness for the people of Bristol and to leave a substantial sporting legacy. 

32 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You think he spends £50 million on rebuilding the stadium, writes off tens of millions of losses and makes a profit out of doing it..?

Yes, I very much believe that he is doing it out of goodness for the people of Bristol and to leave a substantial sporting legacy. 

Can you indicate where in the clubs accounts this has occurred?

The accounts annually indicate cash injections via loans and equity issues to cover FC operating short falls.

43 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The money sounds a lot but as a % wise, it’s not as much as someone on minimum wage buying a season ticket yearly.

Not that we shouldn’t be grateful 

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Can you indicate where in the clubs accounts this has occurred?

The accounts annually indicate cash injections via loans and equity issues to cover FC operating short falls.

I haven’t looked at the accounts and certainly can’t be bothered too. 

Surely you are aware of his writing off of substantial loss coverings, over the last 10 years or so..?!

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

And yet again our "fans liaison officer" is on mute!

To be honest, this is a mess up between the club and a small number of employees. I'm not aware that it directly affects anyone else, and I can't see why we should expect the club to provide us fans with a running commentary on what is a sensitive internal issue.

Am I the only one who finds it depressing how quickly forum members are outraged by any perceived mistake by the club?  There are often snide comments about "suits".  But the club is a large, complex organisation that needs to respond quickly to a wide range of events and operates under an unreal level of scrutiny from its customers.  Some posters get angry at the suggestion that the club should be run like a business.  But others are waiting to pounce on any case where our beloved football club fails to act like a well-oiled super-efficient corporate machine.

Light those pitchforks and let's march on Ashton Gate!

45 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I haven’t looked at the accounts and certainly can’t be bothered too. 

Surely you are aware of his writing off of substantial loss coverings, over the last 10 years or so..?!

Your second sentence is hard to understand. Mr Lansdown has covered operating loss and debt via equity backed up by loans. That is not writing tens of millions off with all respects.

I haven’t looked at the accounts and certainly can’t be bothered too ... Obviously.  

Sad situation, but I'd say to the ticket / programme sellers just take it on the chin and look forwards to the rest of the free games you'll see this season.

City verse Wolves will be a better match with more entertainment and competition. 

The City and Man U game could be a bit of a let down, let's face it, we'll probably get beat 2-0 and finally the saga of When Bristol met Manchester will be over with.

Archived