IGNORED

Old Club Badges 4-4-2 Magazine (merged)

54-46

Great link thanks, interesting to me as a romantic old fart plus helping me pass time while waiting for a bus!

At the risk of opening a can of worms think the first paragraph about Bury's old badge applies to us.

God I loved football back in the 80s and that kind of article brings back fond memories

Heres an article on yahoo about defunct football club badges, in their opinion which was the best and worse,  Of course City's Robin badge comes out well and is number six in the list.

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/14-amazing-football-club-badges-154722880.html

2 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

club had no badge for nearly fifty years. add the time the Robin was used and that is not really correct.

we used the robin for 11 years, we started using the crest in 1951, so we've had the crest for 55 years of the 117 years we've been known as bristol city

2 hours ago, Nbafc said:

Great link thanks, interesting to me as a romantic old fart plus helping me pass time while waiting for a bus!

At the risk of opening a can of worms think the first paragraph about Bury's old badge applies to us.

God I loved football back in the 80s and that kind of article brings back fond memories

What a great thread! Love a bit of nostalgia, some absolute beauts on there

NBAFC - I've trotted out the same line for years now, our badge is so generic, it could be anyone. Interestingly, Bury is always one of the clubs I liken it to

Time for the robin to come back. JL put a poll on twitter a while back asking for thoughts on whether the fans wanted to see coat of arms or robin in the future, can't say I can remember seeing the results of the vote. Anyone remember?

Went for the badge, went and read something a little too real....:

4. Leicester City (1983-1992)

leic_crest.jpg?itok=CeLh8asn

Leicester’s flowery effort of today has existed in one guise or another since the beginning of football in 1992, but in the mythical BS years (Before Sky), the East Midlands outfit experimented like The Doors in a drugstore. A few dire designs were produced over the years before the club landed on this effort in 1983.

‘The walking fox’ tends to split opinion, with some people loving the unusual design and other people being wrong. It’s certainly far more eye-catching than the dog-in-a-ruff badge that Leicester’s players now wear, and for such a basic design it’s very evocative, outlining an urban fox glancing your way as you stumble towards the side of a desolate road to await the night bus home to your cigarette-burned memories of her. She just needed some space, she said. Now the bed is so cold. Next bus: 34 mins.

27 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

NBAFC - I've trotted out the same line for years now, our badge is so generic, it could be anyone. Interestingly, Bury is always one of the clubs I liken it to

Time for the robin to come back. JL put a poll on twitter a while back asking for thoughts on whether the fans wanted to see coat of arms or robin in the future, can't say I can remember seeing the results of the vote. Anyone remember?

Genuinely think it was very much in favour of bringing back the robin (citation needed).

Some classics in that list....our robin badge, Arsenals, Leicester and Sheff Wed being my favs.

Bring back the Robin badge imo...not some boring modern cheap crap like we have today...'oooh look monocrom, it's all the rage don't you know'...actually no...we all know it's just cheaper to produce.

Angry Robin, classy no fuss kit...memories of Gerry Gow etc...win win. What's not to like...

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Some classics in that list....our robin badge, Arsenals, Leicester and Sheff Wed being my favs.

Bring back the Robin badge imo...not some boring modern cheap crap like we have today...'oooh look monocrom, it's all the rage don't you know'...actually no...we all know it's just cheaper to produce.

Angry Robin, classy no fuss kit...memories of Gerry Gow etc...win win. What's not to like...

Didn't the Gow era robin come in in '76 too? Perfect if we get promoted...

4 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Totally agree Woodsy although know its been done & people on here have put effort into trying.

I am biased as it sat proudly on the shirts of early/mid 80s when I first came to the gate.

That said, its a no brainer the Robin should be there now. Bold, proud, instantly recognizable & bespoke.

Perhaps the crest serves other purposes, which is a shame but a little more understandable.

Would our Robin badge have been a 'shiny' in Panini albums back in the days of top flight football?

If so bet it looked f@#*ing ace

(Remember that Sheff Weds one did!)

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Didn't the Gow era robin come in in '76 too? Perfect if we get promoted...

It did indeed mate...although the Robin was first introduced as a badge in 1949. The original Robin badge looked more like Spurs badge.

You can see all our kits and badges here... http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_City/Bristol_City.htm

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

It did indeed mate...although the Robin was first introduced as a badge in 1949. The original Robin badge looked more like Spurs badge.

You can see all our kits and badges here... http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_City/Bristol_City.htm

Never knew that mind! Good little website that is.

Robin all day long. That badge was instantly recognisable as the badge of Bristol City. It encompasses both the best and worst times in our history. It took us to Wembley under Joe Jordan and to the Semi-Final of the League Cup. The coat of arms just doesn't do it for me and it never has.

Archived