IGNORED

How do we beat Manchester?

Coppello

As we near one of the biggest games in recent history, LJ will no doubt be playing around with his giant iPad in his living room, considering how we should line up against Utd. 

I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts on how we expect to setup. Personally I feel that playing a 4-5-1 would see Reid overrun by a strong defence and he may have his work cut out. A 4-4-2 alongside Djuric would provide him a little more space to operate and allow Reid to buzz around their half. 

Other considerations would be whether we try to play football akin to our Championship home games with high pressing and slick passing. However, this may play into Manchester's hands and give them more space to operate. Alternatively, we could just **** it long to Djuric and hope to bully whoever they put at CB. 

N.b. I am fully expecting someone to say 'score more goals than the opposition.'

11 minutes ago, Coppello said:

As we near one of the biggest games in recent history, LJ will no doubt be playing around with his giant iPad in his living room, considering how we should line up against Utd. 

I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts on how we expect to setup. Personally I feel that playing a 4-5-1 would see Reid overrun by a strong defence and he may have his work cut out. A 4-4-2 alongside Djuric would provide him a little more space to operate and allow Reid to buzz around their half. 

Other considerations would be whether we try to play football akin to our Championship home games with high pressing and slick passing. However, this may play into Manchester's hands and give them more space to operate. Alternatively, we could just **** it long to Djuric and hope to bully whoever they put at CB. 

N.b. I am fully expecting someone to say 'score more goals than the opposition.'

That would be sad and predictable.

I suggest we just concede less goals the opposition, that would work!

We wont beat them. Great cup run culminating in this one moneyspinning game but that is all it will be. looking forward to it but at the same time want it to be over as, whatever anyone says, it has been a big distraction from our one goal in our chase for a top 6 place. We dont need more games, more chances to pick up injuries and cards/suspensions or the players/manager/club/fans taking their eye off the ball. Im hoping we put up a good show but i dont want us to progress any further for all the right reasons.

Jose to play 4-5 young ones who we've never heard of, 260000 bristolians boo them every touch get behind our players get them buzzing! Also think patients and brownhill will have a point to prove with them both being on man ure's books. Just hope we can create a good atmosphere all the way around the ground not just the south stand

1 hour ago, Coppello said:

That'll be me then :ph34r:

We'll need a United side to be well below par and City to play extremely well.

But we've got nothing to lose, no one will expect us to win so we can give it our all and see what happens.

Hopefully we can remain in the game for as long as possible then who knows.

3-1 United I reckon but we'll give it a real good go. 

Would look to play 4-5-1, Djuric up front with Reid supporting. I think we need to give Utd something different to what they would normally play against, and I think Djuric will do that. Too many things premier league teams play to feet or into the channels.

Not sure I would risk Patterson in this game especially as he doesn’t appear to have fully recovered from previous injuries. We have a number of injuries, which is a shame as with everyone fit I feel we would cause Utd a number of problems. 

I would pick:

Steele

Wright

Flint

Baker 

Mags

Bryan

Smith

Reid

Brownhill

Eliasson

Djuric

I'd play Frankie and Steele and see if they notice :)

No one expects us to win, and even though Jose as mentioned already will probably play some fringe players, even then we'd have to have some luck, and UTD to have an off day. If we can stick our first chance away then who knows, it might rattle them. The most important thing for me is not to take a pasting. It's a sideshow game, but getting tonked 6-0 could have a real impact on the players confidence, it shouldn't as we're flying at the moment, but it could.

1 hour ago, Raging_Robin said:

How do we beat them? Easy, we play exactly the same way as we've been playing.  Can we match them player for player? Obviously not, but we can certainly match them for passion and pace. Joses' arrogance won't let him play a full-strength squad. They will have 4/5 youngsters playing and we will certainly be in with a chance.  

More fool him if he takes us lightly, as he is going to be in for a shock. 

Man Utd

• 20 Romero Substituted for Castro Pereira at 78'minutes
  • 36 Darmian
  • 2 Lindelöf
  • 12 Smalling
  • 17 Blind
  • 21 Herrera
  • 16 Carrick
  • 14 Lingard
  • 8 Mata Substituted for Shaw at 45'minutes
  • 11 Martial
  • 19 Rashford Substituted for McTominay at 64'minutes

Substitutes

• 4 Jones
  • 9 R Lukaku
  • 18 Young
  • 23 Shaw
  • 27 Fellaini
  • 39 McTominay
  • 40 Castro Pereira

This is the team that played Burton. The 4/5 youngsters look pretty good to me.

• Admin
1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is Djuric fit? Thought he was lined up for more surgery?

I think we’ll set up similarly to the Boro game.

Playing on through an injury, basically we are going to "manage" his injury and get him through to January where hopefully a replacement will take the pressure of having to play him

For me, the only way is to play 6 in midfield wirh bobby as false no. 9. Chase them, hurry them, close them down, stifle them and dont let them play. Tackle like terriers, keep it tight, Dont let them have the ball, frustrate them and rough them up a bit. Our players will know the world is watching them.  There you are, that's my team talk as well.

I think we should be working on a legal campaign to get them disqualified from the competition, the day after we lose the match*.

We just need to find a suitable offence they might have committed ...

* obviously the match has to go ahead for financial reasons!

We're currently at 9/1 to beat them in 90 minutes, 4/1 to progress to the next round.

The fact that we are at these sort of odds against a club of Manchester's stature says it all and shows how we are being taken seriously.

Whatever happens I just hope we show ourselves in a good light, it's a massive opportunity for the club not just on the pitch, but to attract the next generation of fans.

Of course we can beat them, it might come down to who wants it more, we as the fans have a massive part to play in that.

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

Playing on through an injury, basically we are going to "manage" his injury and get him through to January where hopefully a replacement will take the pressure of having to play him

Thought that might be the case, wasn't sure if the second operation had derailed that plan.  Still would seem odd to then to start him against the second best team in the country? Last time he started - PNE I think - we lost because we resorted to long balls up to him which PNE just collected and then countered with.

For me we need to stick to our strengths, pack the midfield, use Bobby to try and bamboozle their CBs and pass and move, pass and move.  We aren't a lowly L1 team anymore so we don't need to play like one. Djuric on the bench to impact in the last 20 if we need it.

Regardless, let's beat Sheffield and Nottingham first.

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

I'm more concerned about beating Sheffield united on Friday 

Milton Keynes were never going to beat them a few years ago (Ali era - can't remember how long ago it was). They were given no chance, and were expected to get thumped in front of the Sky cameras. Sound familiar?

So long as we give a good account of ourselves, and don' let them dictate and play "their" game, then we have a chance. There probably will be a few names in the team, as will there probably be a few youngsters wanting to prove themselves, but we are at home, our players will probably know how each other play more than they will  (still presuming they will make a few changes), and more importantly, the crowd needs to make themselves heard for 90 minutes. 

This is our ground, and if you want your "expected win", then you're going to have to work bloody hard to get it, because we won't lay down and give up without a fight.

That's how we beat them.

3 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

We wont beat them. Great cup run culminating in this one moneyspinning game but that is all it will be. looking forward to it but at the same time want it to be over as, whatever anyone says, it has been a big distraction from our one goal in our chase for a top 6 place. We dont need more games, more chances to pick up injuries and cards/suspensions or the players/manager/club/fans taking their eye off the ball. Im hoping we put up a good show but i dont want us to progress any further for all the right reasons.

That’s the spirit ! 

Archived