IGNORED

How do we beat Manchester?

Coppello

2 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Let's face it it will be some folks first visit to the Gate, they will be there for the only reason it's Man U all stars, so yes I am a 'run of the mill fan' who lives and breathes City, this match is just an aside.  

not that many though in a crowd of 26k as most bought tickets in the top 2 prioroties meaning they have at least seen or going to have seen 4 games other than Man U. And what if it is their first game - potential City fans of the future. And personally I would much rather see a packed Ashton Gate with a mix of fans then 13-14k season ticket holders.

9 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

We wont beat them. Great cup run culminating in this one moneyspinning game but that is all it will be. looking forward to it but at the same time want it to be over as, whatever anyone says, it has been a big distraction from our one goal in our chase for a top 6 place. We dont need more games, more chances to pick up injuries and cards/suspensions or the players/manager/club/fans taking their eye off the ball. Im hoping we put up a good show but i dont want us to progress any further for all the right reasons.

Don't see how you can say this. Since the draw was made, we've beaten Sunderland, Fulham and Hull away from home; beaten promotion rivals Cardiff and Middlesbrough at home, and nicked a point away at a very good Sheffield Wednesday side. Our only blip was against Preston.

Not been a distraction at all if you ask me. A chance for the players to play against a team we hope to have two fixtures against next season, and a reward to all the fans that have wanted a big cup tie down the years. Another chance to showcase us as a club to potential signings if we put on a good performance, and a chance to get £1m+ which would in theory pay the wages of a £20k a week player for a year to help towards a push for promotion.

Mental how fans manage to see the negative in an opportunity like this.

25 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Nicol apart, dont think many Pool fans would put any of that back 4 plus Clough and Walters and Redknapp in their top 100. The side was on decline and the manager had lost the plot but it was still a ####ing brilliant win/night !

Maybe not now......but at the time, this was a formidable teamsheet and one (using @Robbored 's logic) we could never have beaten.

5 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Maybe not now......but at the time, this was a formidable teamsheet and one (using @Robbored 's logic) we could never have beaten.

You can take the piss all you want. 

My view is that Man Utd will be too strong for City assuming Jose plays his best team. If he doesn't then City might have a chance.

I reckon my opinion is realistic based on the individual teams. 

That said upsets do happen as Citys win at Anfield proves but somehow I just can't see it happening. 

Mind you I'd be as delighted as every City fan  if by some miracle we actually beat them.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You can take the piss all you want. 

My view is that Man Utd will be too strong for City assuming Jose plays his best team. If he doesn't then City might have a chance.

I reckon my opinion is realistic based on the individual teams. 

That said upsets do happen as Citys win at Anfield proves but somehow I just can't see it happening. 

Mind you I'd be as delighted as every City fan  if by some miracle we actually beat them.

Actually think City will not play their best side and rightly keep faith with the likes of Steele in goal and blood a couple of young uns again. It'll be a great night whatever but no tears if we lose. 

1 hour ago, Ben4BCFC said:

Don't see how you can say this. Since the draw was made, we've beaten Sunderland, Fulham and Hull away from home; beaten promotion rivals Cardiff and Middlesbrough at home, and nicked a point away at a very good Sheffield Wednesday side. Our only blip was against Preston.

Not been a distraction at all if you ask me. A chance for the players to play against a team we hope to have two fixtures against next season, and a reward to all the fans that have wanted a big cup tie down the years. Another chance to showcase us as a club to potential signings if we put on a good performance, and a chance to get £1m+ which would in theory pay the wages of a £20k a week player for a year to help towards a push for promotion.

Mental how fans manage to see the negative in an opportunity like this.

Who's to say that without these extra games we may not have lost to Leeds and Preston and we may have beaten Wednesday and Burton. No one knows. History tells us though that long cup runs do ultimately affect League form which is why i also want us to give experience to tge youngsters against Watford and stick with them if we were to win. Would be beneficial to the Club all round.

I reckon Jose will fancy the pace and technique of Rashford and Martial against our four centre backs. Stick the passing variety of Mata behind them and you have the potential to outpace and out fox our defence. 

We'll need lots of industry from Brownhill, Smith and Bryan to cut their creativity out from the source.

If we have 3 shots in target, we need to score twice!

2 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Who's to say that without these extra games we may not have lost to Leeds and Preston and we may have beaten Wednesday and Burton. No one knows. History tells us though that long cup runs do ultimately affect League form which is why i also want us to give experience to tge youngsters against Watford and stick with them if we were to win. Would be beneficial to the Club all round.

Who is to say that without the goal O'Dowda scored against Palace he wouldn't have had the blistering form he had the last month? Or the games Taylor, Magnússon and Djuric had earlier in the competition allowed them to be more fit when our injury crisis began to hit? All ifs/buts/maybes.

You cannot say that 5 wins, a draw and a loss shows we have become distracted by a big cup game. If you think that isn't a good return and is the result of a distracted side, then you have a far superior opinion of our squad than myself and many others; and one so superior that we should be able to compete on multiple fronts if we are that good.

History differs depending on stats. Man United in 98/99 won the treble. The two cup runs didn't affect their league position. Arsenal have won many a double. Chelsea too. We won the double 3 years ago if you remember; in a season with many a cup game and many a league game. It's all down to context and viewpoint.

4 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Nicol apart, dont think many Pool fans would put any of that back 4 plus Clough and Walters and Redknapp in their top 100. The side was on decline and the manager had lost the plot but it was still a ####ing brilliant win/night !

Rob Jones was/is a very underrated right back.

31 minutes ago, shelts said:

I hope we put out our weakest team as promotion is more important . Play the kids 

Why? If you were a player, you'd be very excited to test yourself against some of the best players in the country. It's unfair on the players fighting for a place on the training pitch to just "play the kids".

2 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Why? If you were a player, you'd be very excited to test yourself against some of the best players in the country. It's unfair on the players fighting for a place on the training pitch to just "play the kids".

Umm maybe I should’ve made it clearer that this was just a tad tongues in cheek 

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Its a tough call for LJ. Injury to anyone of our top players may be one too much. Think he'll mix it up again. 

13 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Its a tough call for LJ. Injury to anyone of our top players may be one too much. Think he'll mix it up again. 

I expect Steele to start, and most of the squad that got us this far in the competition anyway really.

Archived