IGNORED

New Arena

cityshippers

5 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

In a nutshell. A 3/4k multi-purpose venue means we compete with the likes of Plymouth whereas we need to be punching up there with the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Glasgow......well, every other major city in the UK that realised the economic benefits of arenas 20 years ago!  

What SL's plan should be doing is pushing the incompetent major into action on the arena, not giving him a "get-out" ticket.

Exactly. That would still be less than half the size of Cardiff Motorpoint. An arena of 3k is not big enough for Bristol to think 'job done' imo. It's no get out.

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Exactly. That would still be less than half the size of Cardiff Motorpoint. An arena of 3k is not big enough for Bristol to think 'job done' imo. It's no get out.

it's not an arena for bristol though is it, its a for Lansdown and his sporting empire and any entertainment Bristol Sport want to put on

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

it's not an arena for bristol though is it, its a for Lansdown and his sporting empire and any entertainment Bristol Sport want to put on

But you dont want the powers that be at the council to see this and take there foot off the gas with the proper Arena is i think people's worry..

What actually is the crack then with the proper Bristol Arena? As i just drove past the the bridge and land it is supposedly suppose to be being built on and it got me wondering.. is it a funding or panning issue? The new brridge looks sound and the land is deffinetly in a decent location next to Temple Meads..

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yeah that's the point, this is not an excuse to lift the pedal on pressure for a substantial live music venue 

@bris red beat me to it 

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

But you dont want the powers that be at the council to see this and take there foot off the gas with the proper Arena is i think people's worry..

What actually is the crack then with the proper Bristol Arena? As i just drove past the the bridge and land it is supposedly suppose to be being built on and it got me wondering.. is it a funding or panning issue? The new brridge looks sound and the land is deffinetly in a decent location next to Temple Meads..

Funding. Construction costs have risen since the original plan and Marv the Fraud doesn’t want to pay for it 

11 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Funding. Construction costs have risen since the original plan and Marv the Fraud doesn’t want to pay for it 

It could have been done by now on the original budget , but the 'Counci' cronies seem to like meetings, discussions and tea parties rather than getting things done. I remember a long time ago that the council was unsure about spending £15m to complete, if only !
I think I read that the Rapid transit is £100m over budget , for improved times over what? four bus routes? Absolute disgrace. They were even going to spend £2m on improving a route at Bradley Stoke by about a minute. Yet they can't organise a venue that would improve the profile of the City, an generate revenue. 
When they look like they are making advancements they decide that 27 parking spaces is ample for a 10,000 seater venue. They could have put a 10 year old in charge and he would have done a better job.

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It could have been done by now on the original budget , but the 'Counci' cronies seem to like meetings, discussions and tea parties rather than getting things done. I remember a long time ago that the council was unsure about spending £15m to complete, if only !
I think I read that the Rapid transit is £100m over budget , for improved times over what? four bus routes? Absolute disgrace. They were even going to spend £2m on improving a route at Bradley Stoke by about a minute. Yet they can't organise a venue that would improve the profile of the City, an generate revenue. 
When they look like they are making advancements they decide that 27 parking spaces is ample for a 10,000 seater venue. They could have put a 10 year old in charge and he would have done a better job.

Quite. The systematic problem of our council for the past 40+ years.  This Mayor lark has made it no better than it was before.

37 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Who would've thought it eh?  Large publicly funded construction project has a low quote and then 'Construction costs rise' after contract awarded.  

THat may be a bit libellous but hey ho

18 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Quite. The systematic problem of our council for the past 40+ years.  This Mayor lark has made it no better than it was before.

Agree, worse if anything. The last one was an egotist and self serving and from reports this one is a bully who does not like being disagreed with.

29 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Who would've thought it eh?  Large publicly funded construction project has a low quote and then 'Construction costs rise' after contract awarded.  

See Metrobus

33 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Has Pip read the news yet...?

Guest of honour I believe for the Manchester game as reward for her unstinting services in getting our new stadium built.

Joking aside I'm so glad Ashton Gate was redeveloped - we now have a proper stadium, not some flat pack on a rubbish dump

34 minutes ago, The Bard said:

From my experience, the increase in cost is generally down to poor design and an insufficiently scoped scheme.

In a race to the bottom with lowest priced tendering, there are very few winners

• Admin

Metrobus - white elephant, laughing stock, criminal waste of taxpayers money, will contribute to to City’s chronic traffic issues, will benefit a minority, ill thought out and conceived.

I’m hoping I’ll be proved wrong, but I doubt it, the shambolic shower of shit that run the traffic management in Bristol leave with with a feeling of despondency with every announcement and project......  how many times do you see signs saying “Apologies for any disruption, whilst we carry out improvements”  I am struggling to think of one “improvement” that has improved traffic flow.

A ring road that has roundabouts and traffic lights instead of slip roads, dual carriageway narrowing to one lane, removing the flyover at Temple Gate, just a couple of examples of the councils desire to clog the City with traffic, for many no viable public transport is in place and for those of us who aren’t in the first flush of youth, Bristol is a hilly City to cycle round, as well as it not being a pleasant experience.

I wonder if we're opening with 3k seating (and as people have mentioned with a concert you can have standing or extra seating in the middle areas, so would likely hold more for concerts) as a plan for what we need.

Then seeing if the council grab this opportunity with both hands and maybe "suggest" we up the seating and they'll sort the planning?  Be nice to get a Motorpoint-sized concert venue out of this too...

7 minutes ago, eastonboy said:

From my experience, the increase in cost is generally down to poor design and an insufficiently scoped scheme.

In a race to the bottom with lowest priced tendering, there are very few winners

They aren't duty bound to pick the lowest are they? 

It's standard practice bid low , get contract, ramp up costs afterwards.  

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The BBC mentions both football clubs being involved - is that correct?

Not sure what may have been said on the radio but the on-line report is clear that this is a Bristol Sport venture.

Why on earth would the sags be involved unless of course they plan to close down the football club (appear to be heading that way) and set-up a basketball franchise?

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Most arenas are owned by anonymous US real estate companies. We shouldn't kid ourselves that an Arena would be 'for Bristol'. It's illusionary. A lot of minimum wage jobs with all the profits ending up in bank accounts in the Cayman Islands would be the result.  Rather have an arena owned by Steve Lansdown.. 

38 minutes ago, The Bard said:

They aren't duty bound to pick the lowest are they? 

It's standard practice bid low , get contract, ramp up costs afterwards.  

Not generally, but it' easier to dismiss a bid when there is a few grand involved, less so when we are talking millions of pounds of tax payers money.

But I'm sure that would all have been sorted out in the pre qualification document and quality submission......

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

That land is nether the clubs nore Bristol Sport's, It's steven Lansdowns and he can do anything he wishes with it, it's not as if he'll get planning permission for it

The above is your own post in another thread.

And that's not even right either!

The land is owned by Esteban Investments Ltd.

The company directors are Jon Lansdown and Martin Griffiths.

Not owned by Steve Lansdown at all.

Archived