IGNORED

New Arena

cityshippers

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

What can the current Flyers ground/court/pitch/arena/space hold?

The wise complex is actually a nice  various pitches inside and out, artificial pitches, lots of 5 aside courts, gyms, rehabilitation rooms etc - wouldn't be surprised if Rovers are not nosing around if we have anounced Ashton Vale now.

1 hour ago, Homer Simpson said:

Wickes having a closing down sale and the sags told to bring their own plastic chair to upgrade the mem to all seater.

Absolute scenes in Ashton.

1413145517827_wps_7_SPT_ITE_111014_Pictures_b.jpg.edead775366318c30ccaa5b9bc24d477.jpg

No.....this is just a snapshot of those locked out. That queue snakes on for a couple of miles. Snake? Where? Give the dirty Ted a kickin'

5 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Not sure what may have been said on the radio but the on-line report is clear that this is a Bristol Sport venture.

Why on earth would the sags be involved unless of course they plan to close down the football club (appear to be heading that way) and set-up a basketball franchise?

Bristol globetrotters?

People saying about this being the worst kept secret, could you imagine the sh*t storm Mr Lansdown would have faced from City fans if this had been announced last season when we hadn’t won a game in 20 odd matches and were flirting with the relegation zone! When City are doing well, the fans don’t mind what else he does with his time and money but when we are struggling then he’s accused of not giving City his all and Bristol Sport are accused of ruining our club. It’s nice to see positivity and excitement in this thread. 

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Are the blue few OUTRAGED at these plans for a basketball arena yet?

One of the fewers I work with is actually quite excited at the thought of a larger basketball venue. He takes his kids to football with him and occasionally takes them to see the flyers as well.

He was saying to me that his kids prefer basketball at the moment, warmer, more points to cheer, faster game and all that.

He has no intention of not taking them to gas games, but did say that if season tickets for basketball were sensibly priced he would rather shell out for that and take the kids to football occasionally rather than getting season tickets for the swamp.

Our first convert?

And that, in a nutshell, is the point of Bristol Sport.

7 hours ago, Fiale said:

There are plans to build a new indoor sports arena adjacent to Ashton Gate to house the Bristol Flyers basketball team's games, the BBC has learned.

Bristol Sport's proposed 3,000-capacity venue may also host netball, badminton, boxing and live entertainment events.

The umbrella organisation that runs Bristol City also has plans for a new training ground at nearby Ashton Vale.

The plans will be subject to a period of public consultation, having received initial backing from the city council.

As well as the Flyers and the Robins, Bristol Rugby, Bristol Ladies Rugby, Bristol City Women FC and the Bristol Jets Badminton team are all part of Steve Lansdown's Bristol Sport brand.

A triple-court basketball hall would also be built alongside the new arena, inspired by the National Basketball Performance Centre in Manchester, while the training ground at Ashton Vale would include an indoor 3G pitch.

Bristol does not currently have a franchise in the Netball Superleague - Britain's elite netball competition - but the proposals state Superleague matches could be played in the new indoor venue.

Meanwhile, long-running plans for an entertainments arena near Temple Meads railway station, which is in doubt after a "value-for-money" review by the council, has suffered numerous lengthy delays since initial approval in 2014.

A new Bristol City Council consultation document, outlining a five-year strategy to 2022, also puts forward other major sports facilities, including a new or enhanced swimming pool in the east of the city and multi-court sports halls across Bristol.

Analysis

BBC Radio Bristol political reporter Pete Simson

Recent history tells us building an arena in Bristol is a frustrating task. However, this is a project being led by Ashton Gate Ltd, not the city council.

The company's founder, Steve Lansdown, has made no secret of his desire for a 'Barcelona-style' sports hub in south Bristol, which could also in future include a rail and metrobus stop on its doorstep.

The arena would be the biggest indoor sports facility in Bristol and a worthy base for the Bristol Flyers basketball team, who regularly sell-out at their current home near Filton.

At this rate SL will be looking for Ashton Gate to be given independence from Bristol.

10 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

There must  be a suitably sized car park as part of this development though. 

Bet @Davefevs is excited about a proper arena for the Flyers!

I’ve known about it (well substantiated rumours at least) for a while, but have mixed emotions.  Selfishly the WISE is 5 minutes away, but a 3k arena will allow revenues that will allow Flyers to start competing with the big guns in the division.  Quite fancy 3pm ko of football, then 1930 tip off without having to leave BS3!

20 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The advice has always been a roof over AG. SL can afford it. Go down to 4 pillars and put the roof in place. You can afford it. Make it look like a glassed Suspension Bridge. A true landmark for Bristol with a giant bar on top.

Well I for one have absolutely no idea what it is you're going on about!

3 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

The plan /  map shown on the BBC had all of the area adjacent to the Lansdown shown as having been bought by SL for 11 million.

I thought it was only the Wickes/ Dreams site that was being developed?

Anyone know if the Beeb have got that right?

He's bought Babcock site as well. Mate work thier is moving to new site.

Remember a few years ago when our Steve went on the pitch and did his legendary `How hard can it be to invest millions in this city ?` speech?

I would suggest that all that has been done and will be in the future has been despite BCC rather than because of it and is only happening because we have a determined owner.

Well done Mr Lansdown.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

SL is only doing it to make even more profit out of us! Isn’t that right @BigAlToby&Liam..?! :facepalm:

Profit? Nope.

Financial gain? Yep.

Have a go at finding a true philanthropist in your neck of the woods @ BS3  and compare the two.

You keep believing the Ls do what they do out of the goodness of their hearts. :facepalm: indeed.

53 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Only a brain dead person would build a 3 000 seater next to AG. You can get AG to a 3 000 seater using curtains etc. The world is getting mad. Bring on artificial intelligence and get rid of the piss. 

Remind me to come to you for architectural advice for my next project.

‘More curtains, less piss’ is a phenomenal strategy. 

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Thank god someone in Bristol is trying to provide some decent leisure facilities, as no other fecker is..

Scandalous Council . Fourth highest Council tax in the Country . We are a laughing stock. No transport , arena, affordable housing . Cmon City put the pride back in Bristol 

4 minutes ago, Squeak said:

Remind me to come to you for architectural advice for my next project.

‘More curtains, less piss’ is a phenomenal strategy. 

I might update with CV to include that as a profile statement.

How would you describe your approach to business?

I'm all about the curtains and less about the piss.

Archived