IGNORED

New Arena

cityshippers

29 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

The plan /  map shown on the BBC had all of the area adjacent to the Lansdown shown as having been bought by SL for 11 million.

I thought it was only the Wickes/ Dreams site that was being developed?

Anyone know if the Beeb have got that right?

I noticed that, and also that there's no mention in the BBC report of a hotel, which is what has been rumoured. 

This piece by the BBC looks like informed speculation anyway and doesn't seem to be any kind of announcement from Bristol Sport, so the details could be well off the mark for all we know. 

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Serious question - Why do we need an Arena at all?  What's wrong with using Ashton Gate, it's been used before for concerts etc with boarding put down on the pitch and even if only 1 half used can obviously accommodate way more than 3000 guests...

Because you can’t play basketball in the rain. 

Just now, old_eastender said:

Serious question - Why do we need an Arena at all?  What's wrong with using Ashton Gate, it's been used before for concerts etc with boarding put down on the pitch and even if only 1 half used can obviously accommodate way more than 3000 guests...

Generally speaking, basketball played on grass isn't as interesting to watch. Especially on a boggy pitch.

I think it came from the Council's "A Sport and Active Recreation Facility Strategy for Bristol 2017-2022" document which includes:

• "Bristol Sport: support Bristol Sport in development of training ground and indoor AGP at Ashton Vale." and "Training ground for professional sport, plus indoor 3G pitch."

• An indoor arena with (up to) 3,000 seats set up primarily to cater for home competitive matches for Bristol Flyers but also suitable to accommodate events likely to attract this scale of audience across a range of other sports including, for example:
    • Vitality Netball Superleague
    • AJ Bell National Badminton League
    • Boxing
  • This will be located at Ashton Gate and will be designed and managed so that it can function in a flexible form but primarily as an arena venue. Alongside this a second ‘mini-arena’ adjacent or possibly attached to this with a minimum of a triple court (three basketball) hall. From a basketball (and England Basketball) perspective, the ideal for this would be a set up akin to that of the National Basketball Performance Centre in Manchester which comprises a central show court just marked out for basketball with two other courts marked out for basketball and netball. The Manchester centre also has bleacher seats enabling it to be set up to accommodate basketball matches and tournaments which attract smaller crowds.

https://bristol.citizenspace.com/neighbourhoods/sport-active-recreation-facility-strategy/user_uploads/a-sport-facility-strategy-for-bristol-3-1.0-2017.pdf

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Basketball players would be knackered 

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Presumably it's because it's a sports arena first and foremost not a concert venue.  

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

you can use all year round, for comedy, music and sport

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

As well as the above issues of pitch size and boggy conditions, there's a difference between an occasional concert and a full season of basketball and badminton fixtures.

3 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I can’t brlieve this is a serious question, but I’ll answer anyway. Concerts on the pitch can only be held in an approx 6 week window in the Summer. An arena would be 52 weeks of the year from early morning until approx 11pm, any day, variety of sports, conferences, comedy, music etc all under cover.

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

you can use all year round, for comedy, music and sport

I didn’t copy you, honest. Just took me longer to write my reply, I used too many words compared to yours which is perfect.

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Profit? Nope.

Financial gain? Yep.

Have a go at finding a true philanthropist in your neck of the woods @ BS3  and compare the two.

You keep believing the Ls do what they do out of the goodness of their hearts. :facepalm: indeed.

Do u think Steve makes lots of money out of Bristol Sport?

12 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

There must  be a suitably sized car park as part of this development though. 

Bet @Davefevs is excited about a proper arena for the Flyers!

There is a an adjacent 27,000 stadium to the proposed arena and that doesn’t have parking. So I fail to see why a car park is a must.

According to the BBC article, it's based on the Basketball centre in Manchester which has a lower capacity at 2,000. The detachable seats cover an extra court on each side so it will be something like the pic I guess.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/basketball/watch-sneak-preview-basketballs-new-10901054

Image result for National Basketball Performance Centre in Manchester

Image result for National basketball Performance Centre

Related image

43 minutes ago, bs3 said:

There is a an adjacent 27,000 stadium to the proposed arena and that doesn’t have parking. So I fail to see why a car park is a must.

Hmmmmmmm. Do you realise how much the local Londoners hate the fact that the common people of Bristol enjoy working class pastimes in BS3? 

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

According to the BBC article, it's based on the Basketball centre in Manchester which has a lower capacity at 2,000. The detachable seats cover an extra court on each side so it will be something like the pic I guess.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/other-sport/basketball/watch-sneak-preview-basketballs-new-10901054

Image result for National Basketball Performance Centre in Manchester

Image result for National basketball Performance Centre

Related image

I don’t think so. The article states there would be a 3,000 seater arena. And alongside that there would be a three court hall

Archived