IGNORED

New Arena

cityshippers

5 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I don’t think so. The article states there would be a 3,000 seater arena. And alongside that there would be a three court hall

It said 'based on it' and the Manchester one IS a 3 court hall, they just put temporary seating on the outer 2 to get 2,000 seats.

2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

I think it came from the Council's "A Sport and Active Recreation Facility Strategy for Bristol 2017-2022" document 

https://bristol.citizenspace.com/neighbourhoods/sport-active-recreation-facility-strategy/user_uploads/a-sport-facility-strategy-for-bristol-3-1.0-2017.pdf

Well spotted, seems it’s completely lifted from that. I wonder when BS will announce it themselves 

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

It said 'based on it' and the Manchester one IS a 3 court hall, they just put temporary seating on the outer 2 to get 2,000 seats.

No read the article. It said there will be a single court arena, and then a three court hall alongside 

11 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Steve Lansdown is named as a person who has significant control - not sure of the legal niceties but it is very much under his direction.

http://www.bizstats.co.uk/ltd/esteban-investments-limited-08721972/

You don't have to own or even be a shareholder to be a director or a company.

Esteban Investments 100% shareholder (owner) is Pula Sport Ltd. who are a Guernsey based company and no doubt 100% owned by Mr Lansdown

15 minutes ago, zippycar said:

Esteban Investments 100% shareholder (owner) is Pula Sport Ltd. who are a Guernsey based company and no doubt 100% owned by Mr Lansdown

Yep, if he's been named as the only person of significant control, he's the only person with more than a 25% shareholding (looking through any companies between him and Esteban). I expect you're right that he has all 100%.

So according to the Points West report on the 10 o’clock news, Big Steve has shelled out over £11 million pounds and has bought up all of the land behind the Lansdown Stand. That’s a lot of land. More than enough to build an arena, hotel, shop and perhaps even a transport hub. 

13 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Metrobus - white elephant, laughing stock, criminal waste of taxpayers money, will contribute to to City’s chronic traffic issues, will benefit a minority, ill thought out and conceived.

I’m hoping I’ll be proved wrong, but I doubt it, the shambolic shower of shit that run the traffic management in Bristol leave with with a feeling of despondency with every announcement and project......  how many times do you see signs saying “Apologies for any disruption, whilst we carry out improvements”  I am struggling to think of one “improvement” that has improved traffic flow.

A ring road that has roundabouts and traffic lights instead of slip roads, dual carriageway narrowing to one lane, removing the flyover at Temple Gate, just a couple of examples of the councils desire to clog the City with traffic, for many no viable public transport is in place and for those of us who aren’t in the first flush of youth, Bristol is a hilly City to cycle round, as well as it not being a pleasant experience.

Jeeez.........thankfully I have zero interest in politics and as an apolitical person I reckon there's a lot to be said for a dictatorship.

Ferguson was mayor and considered weak and useless by everyone. In comes Marv to take over the reigns and guess what? he's just as shit as Ferguson was...........:facepalm:

It seems that sooo many people with great ideals think they know better than those actually elected to be in charge.

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jeeez.........thankfully I have zero interest in politics and as an apolitical person I reckon there's a lot to be said for a dictatorship.

Ferguson was mayor and considered weak and useless by everyone. In comes Marv to take over the reigns and guess what? he's just as shit as Ferguson was...........:facepalm:

It seems that sooo many people with great ideals think they know better than those actually elected to be in charge.

Lost me.  If you think making a ring road and rather than have slip roads on and off, you decide roundabouts and traffic lights are better, if you think removing a flyover that kept traffic moving and reducing dual carriageways to a single lane, bus lanes and cycle lanes that come to an abrupt end and the cause a bottleneck are good ideas by those elected to be in charge, you have a strange thought process.

5 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Well spotted, seems it’s completely lifted from that. I wonder when BS will announce it themselves 

Is this one of these bureacratic discussion papers to justify an office full of tax payer jobs? Meanwhile in the private sector someone just gets on with it? The council should realise reality and instead of doing nothing for 40 years give it up and redeploy these people to something meaningful that they can deliver like car parking. Or maybe thats too much as well. Remind me which political persuasion has usually run Bristol for the last 50 years. And that is an open question because i genuinely am not sure.

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Is this one of these bureacratic discussion papers to justify an office full of tax payer jobs? Meanwhile in the private sector someone just gets on with it? The council should realise reality and instead of doing nothing for 40 years give it up and redeploy these people to something meaningful that they can deliver like car parking. Or maybe thats too much as well. Remind me which political persuasion has usually run Bristol for the last 50 years. And that is an open question because i genuinely am not sure.

It’s changed a lot over the years and certainly the council leader used to change all the time. One of the arguments for an elected Mayor was that Bristol would finally get someone with power who would stick around long enough to get stuff done.  The problem at the moment is any Mayor is completely hamstrung by the massive cuts to local budgets handed down from central government. It’s hard to spend money on infrastructure whilst at the same time making hundreds of your staff redundant and closing libraries left right and centre.  Plus the public transport is in the private sector and is f****g useless.   

21F2B461-0EC6-4A92-B28E-0B3A0EDF31A7.png

7 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Lost me.  If you think making a ring road and rather than have slip roads on and off, you decide roundabouts and traffic lights are better, if you think removing a flyover that kept traffic moving and reducing dual carriageways to a single lane, bus lanes and cycle lanes that come to an abrupt end and the cause a bottleneck are good ideas by those elected to be in charge, you have a strange thought process.

Seems you have strong views on what not not to do - maybe you should stand as a candidate for mayor when Marv's time is up.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Seems you have strong views on what not not to do - maybe you should stand as a candidate for mayor when Marv's time is up.

I think the problem is most sensible people in our fair city knew that Metrobus was going to be a shambles, that the Arena would never get built and that, essentially, nothing would ever change. All this talk now of an Underground/Mass Transit system and the redevelopment of Cumberland Basin is complete and utter bollocks and classic smoke & mirrors from a bloke who is totally out of his depth. 

Bristolians know the score. 

11 hours ago, palmerred said:

May have comedy, local gigs, but a 3000 arena will never host bigger music names, this will be for sports mainly and obviously propped up with small events. 

yes they would as 3000 is sitting only, with standing it would be about 5000, and if you want a massive gig then theres a 27000 seater not too far way

7 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

The real shame is that Esteban haven't bought up the retail park with KFC etc on it. The land is owned by BAe Pension Fund and there's been no talk about that being bought. Then we'd have a real campus to be proud of!

You’re telling foster son for me if KFC goes as well then ok! 

3,000 will be for Basketball, indoor sports - think Taekwondo, Badminton etc.  SL trying to turn the broader AG site into a sports complex. Much like the Espai Barca complex in Barcelona where you have the football stadium surrounded by smaller stadia, indoor arenas and I think even an ice rink.

I have been told that the full concert arena (think 10,000 capacity plus) could be going on the site of the derelict building behind Temple Meads.

PS is this really "football chat"

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

3,000 will be for Basketball, indoor sports - think Taekwondo, Badminton etc.  SL trying to turn the broader AG site into a sports complex. Much like the Espai Barca complex in Barcelona where you have the football stadium surrounded by smaller stadia, indoor arenas and I think even an ice rink.

I have been told that the full concert arena (think 10,000 capacity plus) could be going on the site of the derelict car park behind Temple Meads.

PS is this really "football chat"

Oh, we've all been told that...it jjust ain't gonna happen though!

I guess this stays just within the realms of football given that the jointly announced development was for our training facilities at Ashton Vale, which will set us on our way to having a cat 1 academy, which for a club like ours who are now seeing the positive results of a good academy set up is massive. It's next-level stuff that will leave the fewers as a dot on the horizon.

9 hours ago, zippycar said:

Doesn't Pula mean Stephen is Afrikaans? 

Archived