IGNORED

New Arena

cityshippers

10 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Will this spell the end to the fans pub in the Atyeo?

45 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

The real shame is that Esteban haven't bought up the retail park with KFC etc on it. The land is owned by BAe Pension Fund and there's been no talk about that being bought. Then we'd have a real campus to be proud of!

No talk, but it doesn’t mean it won’t happen at some point in the future. There’s no hurry. 

10 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Will this spell the end to the fans pub in the Atyeo?

Making the Atyeo away fans only spelled the end of the fans pub there 

44 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I think the problem is most sensible people in our fair city knew that Metrobus was going to be a shambles, that the Arena would never get built and that, essentially, nothing would ever change. All this talk now of an Underground/Mass Transit system and the redevelopment of Cumberland Basin is complete and utter bollocks and classic smoke & mirrors from a bloke who is totally out of his depth. 

Bristolians know the score. 

I agree that whoever is mayor, they get elected thru the 'classic smoke and mirrors ' rhetoric. Ferguson and Marv are the same in that regard. 

The next mayor will get elected in exactly the same way.

It seems to me that some think they know how to be mayor in a more productive and constructive manner but we don't see their names on the candidate list...............:facepalm:

i maintain that a dictatorship is the way to sort out Bristols problems..............

9 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Lost me.  If you think making a ring road and rather than have slip roads on and off, you decide roundabouts and traffic lights are better, if you think removing a flyover that kept traffic moving and reducing dual carriageways to a single lane, bus lanes and cycle lanes that come to an abrupt end and the cause a bottleneck are good ideas by those elected to be in charge, you have a strange thought process.

To be fair the ring Road was built years and years before Ferguson and Reece were mayor so can’t blame that on them, although completely agree the ring Road is rubbish

54 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

yes they would as 3000 is sitting only, with standing it would be about 5000, and if you want a massive gig then theres a 27000 seater not too far way

Monkeh, with the greatest respect mate, I get the impression you’re not a massive fan of gigs, or at least don’t understand the score.

The difference between a 3 or even 5k standing capacity (it wouldn’t be that high) and double that is enormous. Look at the bands that go to the likes of Manchester, in fact look at any big bands touring the UK and they almost always miss off the South West. Occasionally you’ll get the odd big band play the Colston Hall or Plymouth Pavilions but that’s it.

Your comment about the 27k seater just shows your lack of understanding mate. Believe it or not music events occur more than in a single 6 week period per year. Bristol has such a rich musical history with amazing small gig venues. It now needs an amazing big venue.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Seems you have strong views on what not not to do - maybe you should stand as a candidate for mayor when Marv's time is up.

Why on earth would I leave a decent job, to become vilified and criticised by people, because whilst I think that Bristol council and latterly the two Mayors, are a complete shambles, one person is never going to change that. 

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

To be fair the ring Road was built years and years before Ferguson and Reece were mayor so can’t blame that on them, although completely agree the ring Road is rubbish

It’s not just the Mayors, it the councils complete incompetence and lack of ambition, invention and a reluctance to invest in the future for the last 40 years.  (Maybe even longer).

8 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

And was actually nothing to do with BCC,it runs through South Glos and a small section through BANES.

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I agree that whoever is mayor, they get elected thru the 'classic smoke and mirrors ' rhetoric. Ferguson and Marv are the same in that regard. 

The next mayor will get elected in exactly the same way.

It seems to me that some think they know how to be mayor in a more productive and constructive manner but we don't see their names on the candidate list...............:facepalm:

i maintain that a dictatorship is the way to sort out Bristols problems..............

Ferguson in my opinion was actually a rather successful in 'getting things done', even though as a person I find him quite distasteful. There were many 'Russia-esque' leaks before the election designed to get Marvin the job. Surprised he got elected, no one should be. The labour party threw full weight behind it.

And RR - I really struggle with your stance. "It seems to me that some think they know how to be mayor in a more productive and constructive manner but we don't see their names on the candidate list" - I think I could do a better job than Marvin, I'm absolutely certain of that in my own mind, but that's not saying I'd be anything better than a little less incompetent. That doesn't make me the best candidate for Bristol, so with very good reason you won't see mine on the candidate list but you'll still hear me say an underground is the biggest waste of feasability I could imagine, the metrobus should have been massively scaled back, the arena should have proceeded with a proper tendering process which invited true costings and I wouldn't have made grandiose promises which I damn well knew I couldn't keep (housing).

25 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Monkeh, with the greatest respect mate, I get the impression you’re not a massive fan of gigs, or at least don’t understand the score.

The difference between a 3 or even 5k standing capacity (it wouldn’t be that high) and double that is enormous. Look at the bands that go to the likes of Manchester, in fact look at any big bands touring the UK and they almost always miss off the South West. Occasionally you’ll get the odd big band play the Colston Hall or Plymouth Pavilions but that’s it.

Your comment about the 27k seater just shows your lack of understanding mate. Believe it or not music events occur more than in a single 6 week period per year. Bristol has such a rich musical history with amazing small gig venues. It now needs an amazing big venue.

but thats not Bristol sports concern the small arena isn't for gigs, it can be used for it for the smaller gigs, but its predominately a sporting facility, and I've been to hundreds of gigs in my time all over the country indoor and out door,

7 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Absolutely so even more not the fault of the last two mayors which was my point, however I completely agree about all councils in general and their lack of action and poor thinking

IIRC, the original plan for the RR had elevated junctions and slip roads. A friend of mine at the time, lived in a house in Warmley which was demolished after a CPO was put on it yet nothing was ever built where the house stood.

The present RR is a total car park TBH and I live just off the bloody thing so don't have a choice but to use it! :grr:

24 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

IIRC, the original plan for the RR had elevated junctions and slip roads. A friend of mine at the time, lived in a house in Warmley which was demolished after a CPO was put on it yet nothing was ever built where the house stood.

The present RR is a total car park TBH and I live just off the bloody thing so don't have a choice but to use it! :grr:

Same here I live in Downend so use it loads, would prefer temp Traffic. Lights so at night it was just right of way, but that’s too simple for the Council!

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve known about it (well substantiated rumours at least) for a while, but have mixed emotions.  Selfishly the WISE is 5 minutes away, but a 3k arena will allow revenues that will allow Flyers to start competing with the big guns in the division.  Quite fancy 3pm ko of football, then 1930 tip off without having to leave BS3!

Rugby on Friday, Footy Sat 3pm, dinner at the sports bar and basketball at 7.30. who would have thought you could spend a whole weekend in Ashton Gate?

1 hour ago, Johnr1986 said:

surprised that landsdown wasn’t interested in the old Mercedes garage site you could of fitting hotel or some sort of multi-storey car park on there . 

Already owned by another company who are building flats + storage centre on it.  Because they had planning permission they'd probably want a silly value for it - just like the old Wedlocks pub plot. 

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Why on earth would I leave a decent job, to become vilified and criticised by people, because whilst I think that Bristol council and latterly the two Mayors, are a complete shambles, one person is never going to change that. 

Hang on.......you and others are happy to criticise both Red George and Marv for the way Bristol City Council is a complete shambles but not will to stand for election largely because one person is never going to change it and you don't want to give up a decent job................:facepalm:

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

And RR - I really struggle with your stance. "It seems to me that some think they know how to be mayor in a more productive and constructive manner but we don't see their names on the candidate list" - I think I could do a better job than Marvin, I'm absolutely certain of that in my own mind, but that's not saying I'd be anything better than a little less incompetent. That doesn't make me the best candidate for Bristol, so with very good reason you won't see mine on the candidate list.

My stance is very straightforward - other than criticise actually do something about it and stand for election.

1 minute ago, hoxton casual said:

When is SL going to buy Bristol Bowls Club next door? Or will Bowls become part of the Bristol Sport family? 

Nice idea and I'm sure Bristol Bowls Club would be delighted if SL brought them under the Bristol Sport banner.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

but thats not Bristol sports concern the small arena isn't for gigs, it can be used for it for the smaller gigs, but its predominately a sporting facility, and I've been to hundreds of gigs in my time all over the country indoor and out door,

Well if it’s not Bristol Sport’s concern then why are you suggesting it could be a new gig arena? A 3k gig arena is just another mid size one which we really don’t need, when we already have the O2, Colston Hall and Motion

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

My stance is very straightforward - other than criticise actually do something about it and stand for election.

Your stance is a nonsense, it is unsustainable and you know it. Wont stop you tongue tying yourself trying to defend it though :whistle:

I'll tell you other reasons people might not - you have to be nominated, there is a financial cost of the deposit, there is a financial cost of campaigning, there is an exorbitant time cost. Not so hard when you have a party behind you, as an independent you need serious cash and free time to give it a best shot - said with all due respect to Stoney. 

3 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Your stance is a nonsense, it is unsustainable and you know it. Wont stop you tongue tying yourself trying to defend it though :whistle:

I'll tell you other reasons people might not - you have to be nominated, there is a financial cost of the deposit, there is a financial cost of campaigning, there is an exorbitant time cost. Not so hard when you have a party behind you, as an independent you need serious cash and free time to give it a best shot - said with all due respect to Stoney. 

You can give as many reasons as you like for not standing for election as mayor and you and others will continue to criticise BCC yet are not prepared to act.

Some would call that hypocrisy.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You can give as many reasons as you like for not standing for election as mayor and you and others will continue to criticise BCC yet are not prepared to act.

You're right, you don't know about politics - the mayor and BCC are completely different entities. I'll remind you next time you rant about NHS, or Gary Johnson, of your definition of hypocrisy.

10 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Well if it’s not Bristol Sport’s concern then why are you suggesting it could be a new gig arena? A 3k gig arena is just another mid size one which we really don’t need, when we already have the O2, Colston Hall and Motion

3-4k would still be almost twice the size of the ones you mentioned.  As others have mentioned on this thread - similar size to the Plymouth Pavilions which get a damn sight better gigs than anything at the 02/Colston Hall etc.  Sure its not perfect but its better than what we've got.. not SL's fault the council are useless.

4 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

It’s changed a lot over the years and certainly the council leader used to change all the time. One of the arguments for an elected Mayor was that Bristol would finally get someone with power who would stick around long enough to get stuff done.  The problem at the moment is any Mayor is completely hamstrung by the massive cuts to local budgets handed down from central government. It’s hard to spend money on infrastructure whilst at the same time making hundreds of your staff redundant and closing libraries left right and centre.  Plus the public transport is in the private sector and is f****g useless.   

21F2B461-0EC6-4A92-B28E-0B3A0EDF31A7.png

This.

Spot on in every respect.

One of the major reasons Bristolians elected George Ferguson in the first place was that he was seen as non party political and whether you voted for him or not, it is unarguable that he hugely increased the profile of the city and actually made decisions (RPZ and The Arena, for instance).

However as by far the most left leaning City in Southern England, the electorate then chose to install a Labour mayor, alongside all of the city's MPs and a majority Labour council, (for those of you reading this in North Somerset, South Glos and Somerset you might well have to Google what exactly Labour is), this came at a time when the cuts being expected to be made by the May administration are severe and unlike much more favoured cities elsewhere (Cardiff obviously, but the likes of Newcastle, too) Bristol is very much perceived as too rich to need any real help by central government..

The opinions about poor leadership and corporate governance expressed are ones though that for several reasons I'm not going to go anywhere near..

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It is entirely right that elected officials are subject to criticism and held to account for their decisions. They choose to put themselves in that position. Not being willing - or indeed able - to stand for elected office yourself does not mean you surrender your right to an opinion.

Leaders are elected to act in the best interests of those they serve. If we don’t believe they are doing so, we can say that.

39 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

i said it could be used for gigs, I never intended it to be a replacement for the Bristol Arena shit fest,

Archived