IGNORED

New Arena

cityshippers

52 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Already owned by another company who are building flats + storage centre on it.  Because they had planning permission they'd probably want a silly value for it - just like the old Wedlocks pub plot. 

It’s a shame as it would be nice to have the opportunity, but once this and the training ground is completed and judging by what landsdown has spent on buying the land around the stadium, (bbc points west quoted 11m) I think he would have one eye   on purchasing the house behind the Atyeo if we were to ever reach the promise land and establish ourselves there. He clearly Had big plans for ‘Bristol sport’ and all of its infrastructure , 

When you see the struggles that the others from across the river are having with their, 30 year out of date facilities and wally more interested in chelski, makes you really appreciate what  fantastic, passionate and visionary our Steve is he has very deep pockets and is clearly will to invest in the right way ! 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It is entirely right that elected officials are subject to criticism and held to account for their decisions. They choose to put themselves in that position. Not being willing - or indeed able - to stand for elected office yourself does not mean you surrender your right to an opinion.

Leaders are elected to act in the best interests of those they serve. If we don’t believe they are doing so, we can say that.

What has made me chuckle the most reading the contributions is the suggestion of hypocrisy against those who wouldn't stand and challenge. This by someone who had a chance to calmly substantiate their opinion but instead cowered and lied about theirs to a certain Mr Johnson. Not really recalling as an insult, just that the accusations of hypocrisy themselves are incredibly hypocritical. 

Here's one for you Robbo - :facepalm:

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Well if it’s not Bristol Sport’s concern then why are you suggesting it could be a new gig arena? A 3k gig arena is just another mid size one which we really don’t need, when we already have the O2, Colston Hall and Motion

The capacity would be higher for things other than Basketball, courts only tend to have seating on each side. For gigs you could have additional seating at the end opposite the stage and seating or standing on the court area itself. I think you could double the capacity for gigs and similar.

58 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

It’s a shame as it would be nice to have the opportunity, but once this and the training ground is completed and judging by what landsdown has spent on buying the land around the stadium, (bbc points west quoted 11m) I think he would have one eye   on purchasing the house behind the Atyeo if we were to ever reach the promise land and establish ourselves there. He clearly Had big plans for ‘Bristol sport’ and all of its infrastructure , 

When you see the struggles that the others from across the river are having with their, 30 year out of date facilities and wally more interested in chelski, makes you really appreciate what  fantastic, passionate and visionary our Steve is he has very deep pockets and is clearly will to invest in the right way ! 

Incidentally they've started building on the Cruikshanks site now.  I wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't already own many of the houses behind the Atyeo already. They'd never let on till they've bought them all up however.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Hang on.......you and others are happy to criticise both Red George and Marv for the way Bristol City Council is a complete shambles but not will to stand for election largely because one person is never going to change it and you don't want to give up a decent job................:facepalm:

What don’t you understand about that?  Bristol council is either hung or on a knife edge of hung and has been for years, party politics stop anything getting done, how could I or anyone other individual change that?

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

3-4k would still be almost twice the size of the ones you mentioned.  As others have mentioned on this thread - similar size to the Plymouth Pavilions which get a damn sight better gigs than anything at the 02/Colston Hall etc.  Sure its not perfect but its better than what we've got.. not SL's fault the council are useless.

No chance. Plymouth Pavilions has the advantage of being the only arena in the middle of nowhere and is still too small. Colston Hall and the O2 hold 2k while Motion can hold 4k around a couple of rooms and none of them are adequate for anything other than mid size acts. 3k-4k would be nowhere near enough for a Bristol Arena which should be competing with the likes of Birmingham and Manchester.

You’re wording it as if I’m blaming SL when in reality I’m only pointing out that Monkeh is wrong for suggesting this could replace the Arena plans.

37 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Incidentally they've started building on the Cruikshanks site now.  I wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't already own many of the houses behind the Atyeo already. They'd never let on till they've bought them all up however.

Just stewards talk i know but was chatting to one few weeks back and he reckons SL owns all but two and that the two left want £1m each! 

Usual chinese whispers i know but theres a reason SL secured £190m recently from share sales in H.Lansdown, he clearly wants to be releasing funds for some projects!

You can give as many reasons as you like for not standing for election as mayor and you and others will continue to criticise BCC yet are not prepared to act.

Some would call that hypocrisy.

Did you apply for the City job when  GaryJohnson left then?

7 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Just stewards talk i know but was chatting to one few weeks back and he reckons SL owns all but two and that the two left want £1m each! 

Usual chinese whispers i know but theres a reason SL secured £190m recently from share sales in H.Lansdown, he clearly wants to be releasing funds for some projects!

I was told something very similar recently. I am most certainly not ITK in any way or saying it's correct but the ''all but two' and the high asking price (no idea if it's £1M) does tie in with what I was told.

I can't help thinking that there is more to this than just a document prepared by BCC, possibly some time ago knowing them, and that there are in depth negotiations taking place between BS and BCC/Marvin, about something bigger and better.

The site is large enough for a reasonably large arena (8-10k), as long as it were linked to the facilities that already exist within the current stadium, which would make economic sense. There are many designs that could be used which incorporate removable seating and sectioning of the auditorium for bigger and smaller events. The building could be built right up to the Winterstoke road, with all pedestrian access from the existing entrances to each end of the Lansdown stand, which after all caters for 11,000 already. It would need bridges over the brook at ground and first floor levels to link the hospitality areas. Pipe dream some might say, but, very achievable if the funding is in place and as we know Mr L has just sold some £180m worth of shares in his former company, just like he sold shares prior to the plans for AV.

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Unfortunately I didn't have the required coaching qualifications otherwise I might have applied......

Excuse me for pointing out that, you are criticising people who might not have the relevant qualifications or finances to put up for the mayors job when they moan about the Mayor, but, it seems ok for you to moan about the manager of BCFC when you yourself are not qualified to so do.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Excuse me for pointing out that, you are criticising people who might not have the relevant qualifications or finances to put up for the mayors job when they moan about the Mayor, but, it seems ok for you to moan about the manager of BCFC when you yourself are not qualified to so do.

Politics and football coaching are very separate. 

I have no political opinions one way or the other. It doesn't interest me one iota. 

However I did coach and manage Backwell Juniors for several seasons, including  the young Tom Bryan. 

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

I can't help thinking that there is more to this than just a document prepared by BCC, possibly some time ago knowing them, and that there are in depth negotiations taking place between BS and BCC/Marvin, about something bigger and better.

The site is large enough for a reasonably large arena (8-10k), as long as it were linked to the facilities that already exist within the current stadium, which would make economic sense. There are many designs that could be used which incorporate removable seating and sectioning of the auditorium for bigger and smaller events. The building could be built right up to the Winterstoke road, with all pedestrian access from the existing entrances to each end of the Lansdown stand, which after all caters for 11,000 already. It would need bridges over the brook at ground and first floor levels to link the hospitality areas. Pipe dream some might say, but, very achievable if the funding is in place and as we know Mr L has just sold some £180m worth of shares in his former company, just like he sold shares prior to the plans for AV.

Yeah I'd imagine if there's any way they could make this happen, the council will be practically begging SL to do it - as it gets them off the hook for the new arena.

And then they can sell the arena land to Bristol Uni and patch a few holes in their budget too...

7 minutes ago, Rich said:

are any of us…? :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was told something very similar recently. I am most certainly not ITK in any way or saying it's correct but the ''all but two' and the high asking price (no idea if it's £1M) does tie in with what I was told.

So we’ve probably both been told the same lies!:grr:

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

To be fair the ring Road was built years and years before Ferguson and Reece were mayor so can’t blame that on them, although completely agree the ring Road is rubbish

And it was built by the Highways Agency.  This shows the main use for an elected mayor - someone to blame.  Doesn't actually matter if the problem is anything to do with them.  Elected Patsies.

Politics and football coaching are very separate. 

I have no political opinions one way or the other. It doesn't interest me one iota. 

However I did coach and manage Backwell Juniors for several seasons, including  the young Tom Bryan. 

Both take financing and commitment.

Look at around £4000 and hundreds of hours (couple of years work at least) to attain UEFA A level.

The idea of a 3,000 seater stadium for the basketball is bizarre. They can play at AG with a temporary party tent put over the pitch. In Sweden icehockey is played Indoors and footboll outdoors. Independent of temperature. Basketball can be played outdoors. If the club got land outside AG they can build a giant pisshouse so the area used for toilets at AG can be used for shops etc. Once again. The idea of a 3,000 seater next to AG is truly bizarre. 

13 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

1) Close Ashton Road down between the housing behind the Atyeo and the park. 2) Move the housing 20 m closer to the park. 3) Build a higher Atyeo Stand.

Remind us to introduce you to the UK (and Bristol's in particular) planning departments sometime.

Given that City (or a linked company) now own the whole of the site towards Winterstoke Rd. Perhaps with hindsight the redevelopment of the stadium would’ve been done differently, allowing sufficient space for a complete rebuild of the Dolman at some stage. But we are where we are  

The houses overlooking the park would be a rather good site for a hotel with a rather nice view of the bridge with a large stand built behind. If not a hotel, then some rather expensive flats. Parking for the hotel could be shared with the 2 stadia. 

As for the half dozen houses (alas, including Shed Man’s) at the rear of the SS/EE, they would need to purchased to allow any future extension of the rear section of the SS. 

All of this needs to be done bloody quick if we’re to have the new stand ready for our first season in the Prem, next August. 

Archived