IGNORED

New Arena

cityshippers

24 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The idea of a 3,000 seater stadium for the basketball is bizarre. They can play at AG with a temporary party tent put over the pitch. In Sweden icehockey is played Indoors and footboll outdoors. Independent of temperature. Basketball can be played outdoors. If the club got land outside AG they can build a giant pisshouse so the area used for toilets at AG can be used for shops etc. Once again. The idea of a 3,000 seater next to AG is truly bizarre. 

Not one for dissing innovative ideas. I'm gonna give this one a thumbs up, particularly as being in the Lansdown,  I could just about make it over to the Wickes site. There would be howls of anguish from the Dolman though !

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Politics and football coaching are very separate. 

I have no political opinions one way or the other. It doesn't interest me one iota. 

However I did coach and manage Backwell Juniors for several seasons, including  the young Tom Bryan. 

Without meaning to be argumentative, I am fully aware that politics and football coaching are different. I was making the analogy, probably not very well, that, it's okay for you to criticise a football manager but, if someone criticises a politician, they should put up, or shut up. Bit hypocritical I thought.

3 hours ago, Red34 said:

Yeah I'd imagine if there's any way they could make this happen, the council will be practically begging SL to do it - as it gets them off the hook for the new arena.

And then they can sell the arena land to Bristol Uni and patch a few holes in their budget too...

SL would drive a hard bargain. I would assume it would be the land to build a multi storey car park and an assisted ride through planning, at the very least. Perhaps, even a little piece of land behind the Dolman, to reproduce the Lansdown at a later date if, there are too many restrictions in Ashton Rd for rebuilding the Atyeo.

11 minutes ago, Rich said:

Without meaning to be argumentative, I am fully aware that politics and football coaching are different. I was making the analogy, probably not very well, that, it's okay for you to criticise a football manager but, if someone criticises a politician, they should put up, or shut up. Bit hypocritical I thought.

Certainly most, if not all football fans will criticise their clubs manager and some stage but the average fan doesn't have the required badges to enter into football management whereas in politics the opportunity to join a political party is far simpler and requires no qualifications at all. From  said party base political progress can be made with the right commitment.

Fortunately for everyone else I've never had any interest in politics. To me politicians  are all pretty much the same.

23 minutes ago, Rich said:

I suppose we all are to some degree. Some more so than others, some less so but with more opinions.

Having football qualifications will mean that an individual has sought to gain a far more advanced understanding of technical, tactical, social and psychological aspects of football than an average fan. However these really are just aspects of football not its entirety. It is possible to have acquired high levels of knowledge and skill, coach extensively and watch little pro football at all and know little about the Championship for instance. 

A poster like Ole as an example  is obviously informed by constantly watching the team and being able to articulate to a high degree what he is witnessing, and the underlining whys = You do not need a badge to have an understanding of what you watch as a fan, or to have a educated opinion. 

On Thursday, December 07, 2017 at 17:52, Bazooka Joe said:

Will the new arena be called "The New Arena" ?

Surely it be just 'The Arena' as there isn't an older arena in Bristol thay it will be replacing?

On Thursday, December 07, 2017 at 18:47, Davefevs said:

I’ve known about it (well substantiated rumours at least) for a while, but have mixed emotions.  Selfishly the WISE is 5 minutes away, but a 3k arena will allow revenues that will allow Flyers to start competing with the big guns in the division.  Quite fancy 3pm ko of football, then 1930 tip off without having to leave BS3!

I hope they build some decent resturant and expand the fan zone.

On Thursday, December 07, 2017 at 19:45, RedM said:

I can’t brlieve this is a serious question, but I’ll answer anyway. Concerts on the pitch can only be held in an approx 6 week window in the Summer. An arena would be 52 weeks of the year from early morning until approx 11pm, any day, variety of sports, conferences, comedy, music etc all under cover.

All £££££££'s which hopefully SL can put through our accounts.

12 hours ago, Countryfile said:

image.thumb.png.63ba7a02375977375778dc9adbbdeaf2.png

Points west map of land purchased by SL, can't see how a 3000 seat arena could fit on just the wickes site

It's frustrating that SL couldn't buy this land a few years ago as it would have been ideal to shift the stadium towards the dual carriage way.

3 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The idea of a 3,000 seater stadium for the basketball is bizarre. They can play at AG with a temporary party tent put over the pitch. In Sweden icehockey is played Indoors and footboll outdoors. Independent of temperature. Basketball can be played outdoors. If the club got land outside AG they can build a giant pisshouse so the area used for toilets at AG can be used for shops etc. Once again. The idea of a 3,000 seater next to AG is truly bizarre. 

3 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

1) Close Ashton Road down between the housing behind the Atyeo and the park. 2) Move the housing 20 m closer to the park. 3) Build a higher Atyeo Stand.

I wish they sold whatever you’re drinking in the UK

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Certainly most, if not all football fans will criticise their clubs manager and some stage but the average fan doesn't have the required badges to enter into football management whereas in politics the opportunity to join a political party is far simpler and requires no qualifications at all. From  said party base political progress can be made with the right commitment.

Fortunately for everyone else I've never had any interest in politics. To me politicians  are all pretty much the same.

Spoken like a seasoned politician.

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Having football qualifications will mean that an individual has sought to gain a far more advanced understanding of technical, tactical, social and psychological aspects of football than an average fan. However these really are just aspects of football not its entirety. It is possible to have acquired high levels of knowledge and skill, coach extensively and watch little pro football at all and know little about the Championship for instance. 

A poster like Ole as an example  is obviously informed by constantly watching the team and being able to articulate to a high degree what he is witnessing, and the underlining whys = You do not need a badge to have an understanding of what you watch as a fan, or to have a educated opinion. 

I thought that's what I said, but with fewer words.

5 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Aren`t they mainly just lock ups? I must have walked past hundreds of times but can`t say I`ve ever noticed!

Duckmoor road industrial estate. Several trade companies operate from their as well as offices at the front, I think they were for rent last time I went past.

8 hours ago, Threshing Red said:

Anybody knows who owns these small industrial units (in yellow)? 

image.png.5cee6e15f21c79ef2c77b4c0c1763ed1.png

Isn't that the brewery? There are plans for that to be redeveloped to flats etc (I put a link on the non-football section about a month ago)

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-gates-old-brewery-transformed-779055

42 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Isn't that the brewery? There are plans for that to be redeveloped to flats etc (I put a link on the non-football section about a month ago)

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/ashton-gates-old-brewery-transformed-779055

No that's further down - it's currently a auction house, old warehouse and a crossfit gym one side, and then the old brewery the other (behind the gym and bakery opposite Aldi).

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

not according to the photo in the BEP

5a2bb01910022_ScreenShot2017-12-09at09_42_32.thumb.png.2d80a21af07e93fbb7585c20ded13028.png

Aldi top right, Gym and bakery marked, behind it the mess of buildigns are the auction house, a weird warehouse that is empty but seems to have a busy 3-4 man office above it, and the crossfit gym - as a person who used the gym, and sometimes the auction I can assure you that's the area. Hell the Duckmoor road site wouldn't be able to accomodate 20-30% of the proposals in your link.

ScreenShot_20171209094649.png

2 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Aldi top right, Gym and bakery marked, behind it the mess of buildigns are the auction house, a weird warehouse that is empty but seems to have a busy 3-4 man office above it, and the crossfit gym - as a person who used the gym, and sometimes the auction I can assure you that's the area. Hell the Duckmoor road site wouldn't be able to accomodate 20-30% of the proposals in your link.

ScreenShot_20171209094649.png

oh, I see what you're saying! I was looking at the wrong road! Sorry bab!

Used to work in one of those smaller units back in the day (early 90s) and it was a brand new build. The larger and much older building was Avoncolour, a photo lab when you had to have film processing. Think there are lots of little businesses there now. Not sure who owns it or how much it would cost to get the deeds for that lot, nor how useful the place would be in the grand scheme.

On 08/12/2017 at 12:54, bristolcitysweden said:

Football can be played on concrete too so to save us the hassle of the upkeep of the grass pitch let's just cement over the pitch and play on that. We'll start a revolution! 

You're an idiot.

Archived