IGNORED

Hull appoint Nigel Adkins

WPRed

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

That's them ****** then !

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Commiserations Hull City on your relegation from the Championship.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Strange appointment that. :blink:

Why all the negative comments?  Adkins has a half decent record.  Did very well at Scunthorpe, was doing a great job at Southampton and was unlucky to be sacked.  Not so great at Reading or Sheff Utd admittedly but most managers have a mixed bag and he's hardly Dean Saunders.

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why all the negative comments?  Adkins has a half decent record.  Did very well at Scunthorpe, was doing a great job at Southampton and was unlucky to be sacked.  Not so great at Reading or Sheff Utd admittedly but most managers have a mixed bag and he's hardly Dean Saunders.

Totally agree.  Blokes got a good record.  Only the absolute best are successful everywhere

His strengths are moulding "teams" and instilling confidence into players.

After finishing playing he was actually the psychotherapist before taking up the Scunthorpe job, suggesting that he has considerable abilities other than traditional "old school"  on the training ground coaching skills.

Hull do not lack players of immense talent and ability and on paper their squad is stronger than 4 or 5 in the Premiership (?) but what they do lack is organisation, confidence and mental strength - Adkins fits the bill on that front, could be just what they need - IMO.

31 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

His strengths are moulding "teams" and instilling confidence into players.

After finishing playing he was actually the psychotherapist before taking up the Scunthorpe job, suggesting that he has considerable abilities other than traditional "old school"  on the training ground coaching skills.

Hull do not lack players of immense talent and ability and on paper their squad is stronger than 4 or 5 in the Premiership (?) but what they do lack is organisation, confidence and mental strength - Adkins fits the bill on that front, could be just what they need - IMO.

He was, in fact, Scunthorpe's physiotherapist, a slightly different profession and the reason for 'Who needs Mourinho, we've got our physio' chants.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Will be interesting to see how it goes

Strikes me that Hull have a messy squad of demotivated / underperforming players who think they should be in the Prem

Slutsky couldn't get a tune out of them - knowing modern footballers I do wonder whether they will be impressed with Adkins and his background (Not saying that's fair) and whether they will perform for him

Reminds me of Grayson to Sunderland type appointment 

11 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Strikes me that Hull have a messy squad of demotivated / underperforming players who think they should be in the Prem

Slutsky couldn't get a tune out of them - knowing modern footballers I do wonder whether they will be impressed with Adkins and his background (Not saying that's fair) and whether they will perform for him

You could well be right but there is a very decent chance that Hull will be "dumping" players and salaries from January on wards and the new coach would have had to have bought into this and be confident of working with less - IMO

38 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Isn't that what many on here were saying about LJ and him "losing" the dressing room this time last year?

A fine appointment....he took Scunny to promotion from league one to the championship and he took Saints from league one to the premier league in successive seasons...was given only 18 months as boss of Reading and less than a year at Sheff Utd....just shows how lucky LJ is to still be our head coach...nowhere near Adkins’ track record but had the fortune to have patient bosses...

Archived