IGNORED

Euro 2020

Bristol Rob

Is that because their new national stadium will not be finished? That was their only venue.

I don't mind this 'around Europe' idea in principle but when they take the tournament to Azerbaijan and Russia, they are doing the world cup remember, it makes it a bit of a chore in travelling and logistics. Romania is bad enough for goodness sake. And as for Stadium MK and, especially, Loftus Road narrowly missing out as venues that is surely a joke no?

I'd have gone a bit differently and had a different country per group. Then where able have as many different stadiums per game in that group as possible. Say a group based in England, accounting for Wembley as final stadium 6 games could see Old Trafford, Emarites, Anfield, St James Park, Villa Park and Brightons if it met capacity and have games spread round the country that group plays in. 6 groups you could have England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy and Netherlands/Portugal/Belgium/Russia etc. 

2 hours ago, hodge said:

I'd have gone a bit differently and had a different country per group. Then where able have as many different stadiums per game in that group as possible. Say a group based in England, accounting for Wembley as final stadium 6 games could see Old Trafford, Emarites, Anfield, St James Park, Villa Park and Brightons if it met capacity and have games spread round the country that group plays in. 6 groups you could have England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy and Netherlands/Portugal/Belgium/Russia etc. 

I disagree.  Doing it like this gives cities like Glasgow, Dublin, Budapest the chance to host games.  Countries that in all likeliness couldn't host a whole tournament get the opportunity to host a few games.  Personally, I think Wembley is a bit rubbish.  

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

No games for Cardiff then, ******* hilarious!

Feed the Welsh..

Don’t quite understand what’s so “hilarious” about it. The Millennium is a fantastic stadium and a great away day (unless you’re playing Brighton in a L1 play off final). Wales is never going to be able host a major tournament but you’ve got one of the best stadiums in the world not being used - while Wembley gets 7 matches. That doesn’t make much sense to me.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Don’t quite understand what’s so “hilarious” about it. The Millennium is a fantastic stadium and a great away day (unless you’re playing Brighton in a L1 play off final). Wales is never going to be able host a major tournament but you’ve got one of the best stadiums in the world not being used - while Wembley gets 7 matches. That doesn’t make much sense to me.

Did the Welsh FA bid for it? Seems odd they didn't get games if London, Dublin and Glasgow did. Not that I'm bothered mind. 

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

The tournament has been completely changed.  Hugely complex.

Agree wholeheartedly there. I remember the tournaments in 1972 and 1976. UEFA consisted of 32 nations so there were (I think) eight groups of four who played H&A in the qualifying stage. The eight winners were then drawn in pairs at random to play the quarter finals H&A. The four winners then went to whichever nation had been selected to host the tournament as such. One semi final on the Tuesday night, the other on the Wednesday with the final that Sunday.

Then the Soviet Union and Jugoslavia disintegrated and the likes of Lichtenstein and the Faroe Islands wanted to join in. Today UEFA has (at least) 55 members and qualifying group runners up now demand to compete at the next stage.

5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Is that because their new national stadium will not be finished? That was their only venue.

I don't mind this 'around Europe' idea in principle but when they take the tournament to Azerbaijan and Russia, they are doing the world cup remember, it makes it a bit of a chore in travelling and logistics. Romania is bad enough for goodness sake. And as for Stadium MK and, especially, Loftus Road narrowly missing out as venues that is surely a joke no?

No chance, it's a crap ground! 

I think it’s ridiculous that Wembley now has 7 games. That’s more than it would have if England held the whole tournament. Wasn’t this meant to be about spreading the love? 

As for Wales not getting a game, I heard a theory on this yesterday. Wales have insisted on playing many matches away from the Millennium Stadium. They’ve done this as they feel they wouldn’t sell out in some matches vs lower ranked countries. If UEFA looked at that and thought - can we be sure we’d get a capacity crowd in Cardiff - then perhaps that’s what swayed their decision. 15k at home the other week vs Panama surely didn’t help convince UEFA? 

Archived