IGNORED

The Gifs that keep on...

Nuno Gomes

Absolute genius whoever came up with the original idea.  Perfect for a season when we are scoring goals and winning games - I don't think it would have worked so well at times last year!

But, the article did shed light on how much the players enjoy being part of the creative process.  And the competition to score is something I hadn't considered before.  Anything that brings a group of players together and engages positively with the fans is a good thing.

I hope we get a season long compilation of all the goals and all the gifs in May - a great way to celebrate finishing above Wolves ;)

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Just FYI it is technically pronounced Jif. Does not make sense but at least whoever reads this now knows. 

I had often wondered how it was pronounced, and no sooner do I see the Sky video in which everybody pronounced it GIF (with a hard G, as in gift) than you say it should be pronounced Jif.

Given that the first word in the acronym is Graphic, I would have thought GIF was pronounced with a hard G, and the dictionary definition ɡɪf,dʒɪf/ seems to confirm this.

Whatever, they are all good fun and long may they continue. 

16 minutes ago, El Hombrecito said:

Sorry Joe, but you're wrong. 

This link should explain it all for you.

You're welcome ;)

Although,

Why does anyone pronounce GIF with a soft G then?

The creator of the GIF image format, Steve Wilhite of CompuServe, when deciding on the pronunciation, said he deliberately chose to echo the American peanut butter brand, Jif, and CompuServe employees would often say “Choosy developers choose GIF(jif)”, playing off of Jif’s television commercials. If you hear anyone pronounce GIF with a soft G, it’s because they know something of this history. If the Jif peanut butter company never existed, he would have never pronounced GIF with a soft G.

Speaking of Steve Wilhite, when he explains the pronunciation of GIF, he himself has to explicitly write, “It’s pronounced ‘JIF’.” He has to explain it this way because it goes against how it would naturally be pronounced.

31 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Although,

Why does anyone pronounce GIF with a soft G then?

The creator of the GIF image format, Steve Wilhite of CompuServe, when deciding on the pronunciation, said he deliberately chose to echo the American peanut butter brand, Jif, and CompuServe employees would often say “Choosy developers choose GIF(jif)”, playing off of Jif’s television commercials. If you hear anyone pronounce GIF with a soft G, it’s because they know something of this history. If the Jif peanut butter company never existed, he would have never pronounced GIF with a soft G.

Speaking of Steve Wilhite, when he explains the pronunciation of GIF, he himself has to explicitly write, “It’s pronounced ‘JIF’.” He has to explain it this way because it goes against how it would naturally be pronounced.

It is why I posted because I had read the creator pronounced it Jif but never read that other bit. 

17 minutes ago, Hartcliffe red said:

images.jpg

That is what I thought, but....

The creator of the GIF image format, Steve Wilhite of CompuServe, when deciding on the pronunciation, said he deliberately chose to echo the American peanut butter brand, Jif, and CompuServe employees would often say “Choosy developers choose GIF(jif)”, playing off of Jif’s television commercials. 

Be careful making your sandwiches - or even cleaning your bathroom.

Archived