IGNORED

50 years ago..............

slartibartfast

51 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As @slartibartfast says, John Galley's debut was indeed away to Huddersfield (he was signed from Rotherham).

My memory of that day, being neither at Huddersfield nor Ashton Gate, was queuing up to get the Green'un - I had already heard the score on the radio but didn't know who had scored - and hearing the comments and gasps as the (taller) adults were able to peer at the bundle of papers being delivered from the van and could obviously read the headline. 

Incidentally, if I recall correctly, Joe Royle's four goals on debut were whilst he was on loan, and didn't he go through a long barren spell for weeks after he signed permanently - not the first time something similar has happened once a loan has been converted to a permanent.

Exactly the same experience. Chatting waiting for the Gree'un , I said to this bloke " It would be great if Galley got  hat trick" Laughs all round.then the papers arrived!  I can still remember Godsiff's headlines..........GREAT GALLEY, A HAT TRICK !

33 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Exactly the same experience. Chatting waiting for the Gree'un , I said to this bloke " It would be great if Galley got  hat trick" Laughs all round.then the papers arrived!  I can still remember Godsiff's headlines..........GREAT GALLEY, A HAT TRICK !

You weren't that bastard who pushed in front of me and got the last lot of blackjacks and fruit salads were you? 

Archived