IGNORED

Michael Brown and Sky pundits (merged)

daored

9 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Bobby (and in my opinion, the team) really were not awful tonight. United have a strong defensive structure, much like us, and with Eliasson being quiet/lightweight and Paterson not getting much joy on the left, we were stuck with trying to get through the middle, which was tough (although it did lead to our opening goal).

Both teams had chances. Sure, they hit the woodwork a couple of times BUT one came from a great Fielding save and another via a deflection off Flint. Sharp's one that cannoned off the bar was unlucky, though. Meanwhile, we had few chances and took two of them. We completely took advantage of the couple of times they switched off, while Baker and Wright both made game-winning challenges to stop huge chances.

Great match, in my opinion, and not one that we should worry too much about having little possession.

Was it Taylor who had two goalbound shots deflected away when they would’ve gone in?  One at back post following Pato cross, and one after Moore saved deflected Pack shot.  It wasn’t one-sided.  They were decent and overall were the better side, but you don’t always get what you deserve....and if Fleck had not made a ‘bottler’s tackle’, perhaps they might’ve won.  He should be made the scapegoat, not the ref.  Disappointed by Wilder’s post-match comments.  No remorse for the tackle on Smith.

4 minutes ago, TRL said:

Well as a centre forward he was miserable tonight. As a midfielder he was   average but assisted  I would have given him a below average ranking  but compared to previous performances if that is what we at marking him on then may be awful. If we are basing it against other players performances then below average would be my own rating. But... He still had the ability to influence the game.. which is the most important thing over people's individual ratings

Jesus.....was he awful, yes or no?

For a pundit to come out and say a player was awful (you very rarely hear them use that term) the player really would have stood out as really poor....that was not bobby tonight who at worst had it tough against big defenders but still managed an assist for the winner. 

Think the pundits on C5 and Sky are pretty fair tbh.

Reid was poor tonight, zero goal threat and poor passing. He was made out before the match as being the new Messi, so high expectations and failed to deliver. That probably prompted the 'awful' comment. 

Think Andrews is generally sound. Only criticism is lack of reference to our injuries and the fact that from Feb onwards key players will be returning. The issue is how we get to early Spring with the players we have available. We're getting threadbear now upfront and on the wings. Doubts as to whether a Taylor/Woodrow/Leko combination is going to provide sufficient the goals.

Ve do have a secret weapon though..... :-)

Goals aside I didn't think we were all that tonight. Until the sending off Sheffield looked the more likely to score. You are always gonna get a home bias in the studio imo. I thought they summed that up. It was a smash and grab. The sending was nasty however it's not getting the coverage that the Pogba one got because Fleck ain't a superstar. We rode our luck and got 3 points that's what good/successful teams do. 

Just now, Drew Peacock said:

It was a great effort, I thought it was going in.  But a miss is a miss.....

True. My point really was that the whole "hit the woodwork 4 times" thing is much less impressive when you consider one was a fantastic save, one was deflected and one was a definite cross from a free kick. I was giving them one at least. :P

1 minute ago, RedRaw said:

Jesus.....was he awful, yes or no?

For a pundit to come out and say a player was awful (you very rarely hear them use that term) the player really would have stood out as really poor....that was not bobby tonight who at worst had it tough against big defenders but still managed an assist for the winner. 

Yes compared to previous games this season.. he lost the ball a lot. Got dominated.. But provided the assist. His overall game could be seen as awful. His value to the outcome not awful.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was it Taylor who had two goalbound shots deflected away when they would’ve gone in?  One at back post following Pato cross, and one after Moore saved deflected Pack shot.  It wasn’t one-sided.  They were decent and overall were the better side, but you don’t always get what you deserve....and if Fleck had not made a ‘bottler’s tackle’, perhaps they might’ve won.  He should be made the scapegoat, not the ref.  Disappointed by Wilder’s post-match comments.  No remorse for the tackle on Smith.

Taylor had the second one, but it was Brownhill with the first, mate.

Think Sheff U, both fans and manager made themselves look pretty poor over the tackle that saw Korey carried off.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Taylor had the second one, but it was Brownhill with the first, mate.

Think Sheff U, both fans and manager made themselves look pretty poor over the tackle that saw Korey carried off.

Ta, old age!

Yes, was really hoping Wilder would come across well and not blame the ref....but he used the red card to deflect.

8 minutes ago, TRL said:

Yes compared to previous games this season.. he lost the ball a lot. Got dominated.. But provided the assist. His overall game could be seen as awful. His value to the outcome not awful.

Bitter Brown was calling it purely based on tonight’s performance “he was awful tonight”. 

There were plenty of times last season we could have called out a player as being ‘awful’ on the day but Bobby’s performance tonight was no worse than average and the fact he still put a shift in and provided the assist does not warrant or justify such s comment from a two-bit pundit

I thought it was a little harsh considering we were the away team against a team that were flying so far (granted off form slightly)

We didn't play that well tonight. It wasn't until they had the player sent off that we got into the game a bit more. But whatever. We got an ugly 3 points away from home. That to me is a sign of a great team.

20 minutes ago, hantsred said:

I had both talksport live commentary and a lagging sky stream, but talksport were so more balanced and complimentary on us as the away team - the two commentaries were like watching two different games.

Talksport, to their credit, had a very balanced commentary. Remarks about how overall a great advert for the Championship, 2 teams wanting to go for the win, mention made of (i think) Flint and Billy Sharp with a strong coming together in the first half, then a handshake of respect and just both got on with the game. City under the cosh for periods, as expected, but credited for organisation, workrate, team shape etc. As well as making changes to win the game with attacking intent as well as getting a grip of the game after the sending off. Which simply isn't up for debate, clear 2 footed challenge, pitch side pundit (Alan Biggs?) said ex ref Keith Hackett said 'tackle' was plainly reckless and endangered opponent thus straight red was right decision. And also made mention that ref was v good to both sides. United will play worse and win, woodwork withstanding.

14 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Bitter Brown was calling it purely based on tonight’s performance “he was awful tonight”. 

There were plenty of times last season we could have called out a player as being ‘awful’ on the day but Bobby’s performance tonight was no worse than average and the fact he still put a shift in and provided the assist does not warrant or justify such s comment from a two-bit pundit

I'll concede his choice of words could have been better. Below average to average over awful. But he was comparing him to the rest of the season where he has picked up 2 mom performances on sky.so I can get where he is coming from even if the terminology is rather ****

Former City players who could be good pundits 

1. Wade Elliott 
  2. Jon Stead (I swear I've seen Sky Sports use him before, former player for both clubs today would have worked well but perhaps game tomorrow wasn't possible?)
  3. Paul Hartley
  4. Aaron Wilbraham (but same situation as Stead)

I was going off a list of players since our last time in the championship but how many others would people say? 

Archived