IGNORED

Back from the game.....ratings

Davefevs

Ok, returning from watching it in Joe’s bedroom with him.

Fielding 7 - great save, generally sound, had no chance with their goal, or the ones that hit the woodwork.  Sound on the deck, under pressure from their forwards.

Wright 6 - struggled on the ball, but wonderful tackle late on (his lung busting run back showed his desire.  Solid defensively.

Bryan 7 - seemed to play a bit within himself (maybe not 100% fit), but rarely beaten.  Grew stronger in the final 20, giving us good width as we made the advantage work and tire them.

Flint 8 - had a tough game against Clarke and Sharpe, but strong performance....and what a goal / finish.

Baker 7 - calm, composed, a super partner for Flint. 

Brownhill 6 - not sure the 4141 helped him tonight, didn’t seem to have the platform to spring forward.  Came more into the game as it wore on

Pack 6 - important role in front of back 4, but think it stifled our little triangle passing and Brownhill.  Bit sloppy in first half, but was there to do a job and did it in the main

Smith 8 - outstanding.  Praying it’s just a gash.  My only complaint is he didn’t shoot in first half!

Eliason 6 - didn’t do badly, but allowed their left side to swing too many balls in.  Again the 4141 allowed them into our final third too easily, especially wide.  Right decision to sub him, but tactical reasons, not because he was poor...he showed some neat touches and has got physically stronger.

Paterson 8 - what a goal, but performance so much more than that.  Made us tick going forward.  So difficult to choose MOTM out of Pato, Korey and Flint

Reid 6 - worked hard, didn’t get much joy out of their CBs, but Good touches and moved the ball well when replacing Smith in CM.

Subs: Djúric - yellow card meant he couldn’t play his Natural game.  Taylor - busy, unlucky with the blocked shot.

Fantastic 3 points.  Get some rest boys.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Fielding 7 - great save, generally sound, had no chance with their goal, or the ones that hit the woodwork.  Sound on the deck, under pressure from their forwards.

Wright 6 - struggled on the ball, but wonderful tackle late on (his lung busting run back showed his desire.  Solid defensively.

Bryan 7 - seemed to play a bit within himself (maybe not 100% fit), but rarely beaten.  Grew stronger in the final 20, giving us good width as we made the advantage work and tire them.

Flint 8 - had a tough game against Clarke and Sharpe, but strong performance....and what a goal / finish.

Brownhill 6 - not sure the 4141 helped him tonight, didn’t seem to have the platform to spring forward.  Came more into the game as it wore on

Pack 6 - important role in front of back 4, but think it stifled our little triangle passing and Brownhill.  Bit sloppy in first half, but was there to do a job and did it in the main

Smith 8 - outstanding.  Praying it’s just a gash.  My only complaint is he didn’t shoot in first half!

Eliason 6 - didn’t do badly, but allowed their left side to swing too many balls in.  Again the 4141 allowed them into our final third too easily, especially wide.  Right decision to sub him, but tactical reasons, not because he was poor...he showed some neat touches and has got physically stronger.

Paterson 8 - what a goal, but performance so much more than that.  Made us tick going forward.  So difficult to choose MOTM out of Pato, Korey and Flint

Reid 6 - worked hard, didn’t get much joy out of their CBs, but Good touches and moved the ball well when replacing Smith in CM.

Subs: Djúric - yellow card meant he couldn’t play his Natural game.  Taylor - busy, unlucky with the blocked shot.

Pretty much spot on. Would give bobby a 5 and Frankie an 8

Joe had a couple òf sublime moments in tackling and recovery but his passing was generally woeful. It's almost as if he semi-switches off in a full back position, whereas being in midfield he's constantly involved which keeps his head focused.

Flinty gets a 9 from me and Pato and Bakes 8's the rest 5-7's.

17 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Pretty much spot on. Would give bobby a 5 and Frankie an 8

I rounded up!

I rounded down!

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Fielding 7 Wright 7 Flint 9 Baker 7 Bryan 5 Pack 5 Smith 7 Brownhill 7 Eliasson 5 Paterson 7 Reid 5 Djuric 6 Taylor 6 Leko 5

Oops forgot Leko....thought he did really well, stretching them, not always conventional, but they were threatened by him.  Put them on the back foot imho.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pretty much agree apart from Baker 6 for his not getting tight enough to Clarke for their goal, Bryan 6 nowhere in sight for their goal and passing was poor most of the night, but agree he improved during the last 20 minutes,.

Generally I thought we looked a bit leggy bar Korey and Pato.

We weren’t great, but were gutsy, and that might account for some if my ratings. This group know how to dig in.  I know Utd hit the woodwork, but they didn’t have many other chances.  They slung crosses in, but when you play 3 Centre Backs and the best jumping LB in the division, we should deal with most cross threats.  

Clarke and Sharpe a handful as a pair.  You can see why they’ve won games this season.

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I thought Baker had a poor game. Frankie did everything asked of him. 9. 

Thought Baker had a fantastic game. Though he stood off Clarke a little too much, he was covering where Bryan should have been anyway, and was slightly unlucky that Clarke's shot went through his legs. He produced one or two crucial tackles/interceptions.

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We weren’t great, but were gutsy, and that might account for some if my ratings. This group know how to dig in.  I know Utd hit the woodwork, but they didn’t have many other chances.  They slung crosses in, but when you play 3 Centre Backs and the best jumping LB in the division, we should deal with most cross threats.  

Clarke and Sharpe a handful as a pair.  You can see why they’ve won games this season.

More importantly you can see whyweve won games this season!

Listened to talk sport on way home from game and Neil Ashton commented on the fact that there is something about the team - the gifs, togetherness, spirit, something special.

That's why we won tonight against a very good team that pushed us all the way.

I do think a few of them are playing with a few niggling injuries which may be hindering their performances at times. But it may be that we have had to play them due to the fact that we have so many others out.

In tonights team, I don't think Joe and Nathan are quite 100% Milan is clearly crocked and I'm not sure that Patto has fully recovered from his injury either.

Credit to all of them though for trying their best.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Well. Yes, but, apart from that, what did you think of the play, Mrs Lincoln?

I know what you mean and, having watched the match on TV, agree broadly with your ratings, especially as you belatedly remembered Leko, who I thought impressed in the short time he was on the pitch.

But I do believe Sheffield can consider themselves unlucky - a few centimetres difference could have resulted in at least two goals.

An absolutely dreadful tackle on on Korey Smith though, and I just cannot believe how they, both Wilder and their forum members, are trying to defend it.

We have had a weeks rest and have another to get players back - the worrying thing is our schedule coming up  

16th Forest

20th Man Utd

23rd QPR

26th Reading

30th Wolves

1st Aston Villa

just 2 or 3 days rest for a lot of games and the games coming thick and fast on a team that have a lot of players out and others seemingly carrying niggles.

6 hours ago, OldlandReddies said:

Fielding takes some shit but that save 100%, in the context of the game, won us the 3 points. As for Flint/Baker/Wright.....the best group of defenders in league bar none. We are so very lucky to have them.

And yet we would've been about 4-1 down at halftime if their finishing was better.

I also thought Baker's distribution looked poor last night.

Good to get the 3 points though.

4 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I know what you mean and, having watched the match on TV, agree broadly with your ratings, especially as you belatedly remembered Leko, who I thought impressed in the short time he was on the pitch.

But I do believe Sheffield can consider themselves unlucky - a few centimetres difference could have resulted in at least two goals.

An absolutely dreadful tackle on on Korey Smith though, and I just cannot believe how they, both Wilder and their forum members, are trying to defend it.

Along with Wolves the best footballing team we've played this season..at times we couldn't cope with their passing/movement...we really got away with that one,and can see the injury list now beginning to take its toll.

Fielding- 7 would be an 8 if it wasn't for his utterly atrocious kicking. Knocking balls over the top of Eliasson's head for 45 minutes was utterly ridiculous

Wright- 6 had some tough times as they attacked try flanks in the first half but stuck to his task well

Flint- 7 defended very, very well but wasted possession repeatedly

Baker- 7 looked a little out of sorts, but a couple of amazing tackles gives him an extra point- the one on Clarke in the box in the first half was incredible

Bryan- 7 inexplicable brain fade for their goal, but looked excellent in possession and stepped up to help drive our play once they went down to 10

Brownhill- 7 can only remember him misplacing one pass, which in the context of his team mates was incredible. Such a good player but needs to be central

Pack- 5 I'd be tempted to give him a 4 but I like him. Passing was awful, repeatedly caught in posession

Smith- 9 probably the main reason we weren't buried at half time. Absolutely colossal, hoping and praying he's not seriously injured

Eliasson- 5 can't really give him any more than that, but it wasn't really his fault. The only time he really saw the ball was when Frankie was booting it over his head. Someone needs to tell FF that O'Dowda isn't playing right wing at the mo

Paterson- 6 brilliant goal but in and out of the game. Works hard though

Reid- 5 just wasn't happening for him. A couple of great turns and little runs, but he was man marked until the sending off and couldn't throw the shackles off 

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Don’t disagree that Utd were unlucky....luckily for us last night we got the rub.  However, the game result doesn’t always reflect chances, possession etc.

7 hours ago, Fiale said:

We have had a weeks rest and have another to get players back - the worrying thing is our schedule coming up  

16th Forest

20th Man Utd

23rd QPR

26th Reading

30th Wolves

1st Aston Villa

just 2 or 3 days rest for a lot of games and the games coming thick and fast on a team that have a lot of players out and others seemingly carrying niggles.

And losing Djuric on the 18th December (another operation) for up to 5 weeks wont help

8 hours ago, Fiale said:

16th Forest

20th Man Utd

23rd QPR

26th Reading

30th Wolves

1st Aston Villa

with the exception of Man Ure which is a bit of a sideshow and Wolves being out on top I really don't see anything there too daunting given our current form.

8 hours ago, Fiale said:

16th Forest

20th Man Utd

23rd QPR

26th Reading

30th Wolves

1st Aston Villa

That is one of the less daunting set of fixtures we have had all season, not counting Man U of course. 

12 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

That is one of the less daunting set of fixtures we have had all season, not counting Man U of course. 

Surprised some are seeing it that way. Two of the top six in the next five league games, making it three in six.  Nice to get them out the way early however.

Archived