IGNORED

Is Aden Flint actually a God?

reddogkev

25 minutes ago, Malbec said:

Call me a numpty all you like, he's a legend already.

How would you describe Carey and Murray? Flint didn't actually go though (whatever the reasons) so I'm pretty comfortable with giving him the legend tag.

I'd suggest you have a reappraisal of his career since he joined us (300k was it?), tally his goals scored, look at the games we've won due to his winning goals (like tonight) and his defensive performance and then reasess your definition of legend.

Not sure how much a player costs has much to do with someone becoming a legend tbh. I would describe Carey as a Bristol lad who played for his club and a legend,Murray is a legend purely because dispite his one year off when he left us played for the club for 11 years and now is washing kits. To class Flint in the same bracket is a bit of a insult to them I would say when he wanted to upsticks after a few seasons 

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Well?  Sublime range of finishing, towers above most people, athletic and incredibly strong, crazy with a toothbrush....

I'm sure he will go down as one of the great City legends.  Just heard on Sky Sports News that he has won us 16 points this season with his goals - incredible.

We must all worship at the altar of God Flint!

Not yet but his value just went up to £20 million; are you listening Mr Lansdown?

12 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Not sure how much a player costs has much to do with someone becoming a legend tbh. I would describe Carey as a Bristol lad who played for his club and a legend,Murray is a legend purely because dispite his one year off when he left us played for the club for 11 years and now is washing kits. To class Flint in the same bracket is a bit of a insult to them I would say when he wanted to upsticks after a few seasons 

Is that Carey that went to Coventry and Murray who went to Reading (Both for more money and apparent prospects ) (Not knocking them at all but your heralding them as legends after accusing Flint of wanting out for more money is .... well.... a tad flawed

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Player cost has naff all to do with it tbh but you are wrong if you think that Flint is any less of a legend for his agent stirring the pot.

Flint is the best CB we've had since Taylor. Sure he's not as 'technical' as Baker and maybe Wright but how many match winning goals do they ever score?

It's no insult to Carey or Murray as it stands because Flint hasn't left the club for a better payday which both Murray and Carey did.

I don't care about your definition of 'legend', it's not mine. You can't use years played as an arbiter otherwise what does that make Bob Taylor or Jacki?

Flint has improved every season since we signed him. He wins the vast majority of headers that come his way. He puts his body on the line every game. He blocks goal bound attempts. He scores vitally important goals and has done in both L1 and the Championship. In short, without him we'd be mid table.

Sorry you don't like him but you're way off.

2 minutes ago, Malbec said:

Player cost has naff all to do with it tbh but you are wrong if you think that Flint is any less of a legend for his agent stirring the pot.

Flint is the best CB we've had since Taylor. Sure he's not as 'technical' as Baker and maybe Wright but how many match winning goals do they ever score?

It's no insult to Carey or Murray as it stands because Flint hasn't left the club for a better payday which both Murray and Carey did.

I don't care about your definition of 'legend', it's not mine. You can't use years played as an arbiter otherwise what does that make Bob Taylor or Jacki?

Flint has improved every season since we signed him. He wins the vast majority of headers that come his way. He puts his body on the line every game. He blocks goal bound attempts. He scores vitally important goals and has done in both L1 and the Championship. In short, without him we'd be mid table.

Spot on. The season we won the league he was immense. 15 goals and his performance v Swindon at home when they kicked , elbowed , and tried every trick in the book to get at him, was one I'll never forget. 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Is that Carey that went to Coventry and Murray who went to Reading (Both for more money and apparent prospects ) (Not knocking them at all but your heralding them as legends after accusing Flint of wanting out for more money is .... well.... a tad flawed

Guess you didn't read my post properly then 

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Interesting thread from the other half of Sheffield.

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/263780-flint/

Nice one... particularly like this remark:- 

Wheels have fallen off Wilderbeast’s chariot

And because it is so good I need to name the poster as airborne_rat_of_s6

Take a bow sir. :) 

18 minutes ago, Malbec said:

Funny how it's not the player but the agents fault,cmon jacki isn't a legend either and you know it,as much as we enjoyed his talent for what 30 games was it Jesus he's no city legend,and I like Flint by the way just not a legend 

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Funny how it's not the player but the agents fault,cmon jacki isn't a legend either and you know it,as much as we enjoyed his talent for what 30 games was it Jesus he's no city legend,and I like Flint by the way just not a legend 

Are you serious? Do you really believe that Flint woke up one morning and decided he'd be better off at another club?

Of course Jacki is a legend. Witness how many people allude to his time with us after all these years. But no you're right there are only three legends in BCFC history, Atyeo, Wedlock and Gow. That's it.

You're the one suggesting that Scott Murray is a legend because he's now the kit man at BCFC (although he went to Reading for the money) and Carey is because he played over 600 games despite decamping to Coventry because the pay was better.

If you're saying that time spent at BCFC is the whole and sole arbiter (sorry for using that word again) of what makes a legend then I'd say that there's precious few who would fulfil that criteria. For me that isn't the criteria, it's far more complex than that. The problem is a lot of it is subjective and you cannot go by time spent at BCFC.

I'll write this one last time: Flint is a legend. Compare his goals scored with any other City defender in modern times. You can't. He's head and shoulders above any CB we've had for the last 30 years. Only Taylor comes close.

We'd better agree to disagree because there's no 'winner' in this race.

38 minutes ago, Harry said:

Just for some perspective, I thought tonight he was shocking in the first half and often looked all at sea. 

Great winner, don’t get me wrong, I love Flinty as much as anyone, but he still has some major defensive deficiencies at times, and they were very evident in the first half tonight. 

1 hour ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Sorry if I've missed the point entirely but what are you talking about? No wages? Course he earns a wage.

We all know they only choose Premiership players when WE all know a few Championship players can/could make all the difference!

Yes you did. You must of missed the point when I said in 10 years

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

To become a legend at our club you have to show loyalty and not want to leave for a few extra quid ,of course some numpties will call him a legend, most of us will call him a good player who played for the city 

“A few extra quid”. You make it sound like another tenner a month. A substantially better salary for a footballer could mean £1000s more A WEEK. For a footballer such as Flint who is approaching the later years of his career, and is unlikely to have the profile to make substantial money from the game after he retires, it is entirely understandable that he might be tempted by a new job that pays him a lot more money. Just like anyone else would be.

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

To become a legend at our club you have to show loyalty and not want to leave for a few extra quid ,of course some numpties will call him a legend, most of us will call him a good player who played for the city 

Bit harsh mate. Many will think of him as a legend, because of their age. Younger fans will not have seen the players we consider legends. History of the club of course plays a part, but what you watch on a Saturday decides legendary status for many. 

Atyeo & Wedlock? Without question to any fan. Gow, Cheesley, Carey, Tainton,Tinnion,Murray? All have a good case.

Ritchie, Cooper, Jordan, Riley, Walsh? For me, yes, to others maybe not. 

7 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

What a narrow minded way of looking at things.

Its hard to define legend because its up for interpretation. That being said you've completely contradicted yourself. The two players you mentioned both left the club for another albeit coming back. 

You've also got to put things in context. You won't find players doing 10 years service with a club anymore the times have changed.

I could give you a long list of reasons that Aden is a legend (at least in my eyes) 15 goals in our promotion season, massively important goals since, Week in week out like a rock, His desire is second to none, Never injured, No,No,No comments about Swindon. Etc ect. 

So what if his head was turned? I'd bet any person who was offered a huge increase to their wage for doing the same job would be considering their options. I think us football fans sometimes  live in our own bubble and forget that these players are still people and just because we've signed a player doesn't mean they have to commit a life time of loyalty to the club.

Aden's done plenty for our club and hope he continues to do more. 

8 hours ago, TRL said:

According to me based on my Swindon work colleagues assessment when he was playing for them before he signed for us.

Note to self.. create opinion from your own eyes not others

Didn’t you learn that after Alby Wilbraham ;) 

So much of what Flint offers to this team cannot be illustrated on here with a graph, or stats or numbers, or even with videos from games and frame by frame analysis of performances. Or any of the regular or 21st century technical things used to assess a player. Something difficult to quantify, or impossible to. Not with a graph, anyway. The sort of thing that still counts for so much in football, particularly football in this part of the world. And the sort of thing Alex Ferguson or Bill Shankly knew was vital and could spot a mile off. Probably the sorts of things Wegner had when he was successful but has since lost and thought he could be successful again without.

Archived