IGNORED

"The game"s finished if you can't tackle like that anymore"

Port Said Red

25 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

I think this guy likes us ?.......................................................................

It's worth knowing a bit of the background over there. Rovers fans are by far the more knowledgeable and longer serving set of fans. They've been through much leaner times, but still turn out in big numbers home and away.

The Wurzels (lovingly named the 'Shit Heads' from the Rovers fans) are the more Sky TV loving, pseudo middle class types whereas the Gas Heads (as they're called by the Shit Heads') are the more down to earth, passionate and loyal type of fan.

Rovers have unfortunately been in the lower leagues for longer, but will absolutely dwarf the attendances of the Shit Heads when the roles are reversed. 

Which I'm certain will be in the next few seasons come to think of it... 

Don't forget that football ALWAYS goes in cycles thumbup.gif

Quite possibly one of the funniest things ive ever read 

37 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

I think this guy likes us ?.......................................................................

It's worth knowing a bit of the background over there. Rovers fans are by far the more knowledgeable and longer serving set of fans. They've been through much leaner times, but still turn out in big numbers home and away.

The Wurzels (lovingly named the 'Shit Heads' from the Rovers fans) are the more Sky TV loving, pseudo middle class types whereas the Gas Heads (as they're called by the Shit Heads') are the more down to earth, passionate and loyal type of fan.

Rovers have unfortunately been in the lower leagues for longer, but will absolutely dwarf the attendances of the Shit Heads when the roles are reversed. 

We were completely off our game for the majority of it, we have a list of long term absentees to important players yet we still took the 3 points.

As for the red card, it was completely warranted and they know it.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Taken from their forum and sund it up well. To be fair to them, most of them recognise it's a dirty challenge and a red card.

I do enjoy being a 'lucky team who don't deserve to be here. Our Welsh friends on CCMB were full of it last night.

This beauty taken from the Cardiff site about us

Re: Fair play to the Wurzels

4 minutes ago, Puckle_red said:

I'd be bitter too if my team had one injury (Coutts) which has resulted in my teams form plummeting.

We were completely off our game for the majority of it, we have a list of long term absentees to important players yet we still took the 3 points.

As for the red card, it was completely warranted and they know it.

That comment is from a Cardiff forum. 

2 minutes ago, BS3_RED said:

This beauty taken from the Cardiff site about us

Re: Fair play to the Wurzels

He is a fine one to talk. I know my history too and Cardiff used to get as few as 3,000 at home during the 80s and early 90s now that is fair weather support at it's best.

Let's also look at their attempts to get the shirt aback to blue they all just bent over and took it. You couldn't be anymore middle class.

But just like the Rovers let's not let facts get in the way of a good story.

40 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

Pseudo middle class? Which one is the soup fork? :shifty:

43 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

On your bike squire :clapping:

49 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

Irony..........THAT coming from Sheffield's version of the sags!  He must feel their pain !

EDIT    Sorry I thought it was posted by SU not CC 

I didn’t there was any malice in it but it was two footed off the ground studs up. 

That makes it reckless and dangerous so it’s a bang on red card. 

I think his comments are to deflect away from him selling his team down the river after the red card. 

His substitutions and tactics after the red card were really poor and allowed us to take control of the game and ultimately win it - despite everyone else seemingly still thinking we’re shit, we’re clearly no mugs. 

If he was a bit cleverer they could still have won that game but it’s the first time since he took over there that he’s under a bit of pressure and perhaps it’s starting to show. 

Inexcusable comments though - even Colin had the grace to concede his player deserved to go. 

3 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Err no. Players' careers are ended by tackles like that!

Used to happen in those halcyon days of the 60s & 70s but rightly now illegal & a straight red card.

What did they want to prove how bad it was? Korey's foot to be left dangling by a thread. It was a bone breaking assault and Fleck was rightly sent off.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

That tackle was a flashback to days of Gerry Gow - perfectly acceptable back then but utterly unacceptable now and quite right to.

The Referees Association are sometimes criticised for having sanitised the game over time but red carding dreadful two footed tackles like that one is at least one improvement they've made.

Although Wider was trying to protect his player he was nonetheless talking out of his arse.

The difference is that back in "the halcyon days" ... the "days of Gerry Gow", tackling though sometimes brutal and cynical was NEVER two-footed. That form of tackling is a modern day aberration which both coaches and the authorities need to outlaw because its potentially career ending.

6 minutes ago, Midred said:

You think Wilder will still be there next May  if they carry on dropping points?

To be brutally honest we shouldn't have won last night, we were totally out classed until the sending off. If Sheff United play like that every week then they are going to win far more than they lose. Some of their play was beautiful. 

19 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The difference is that back in "the halcyon days" ... the "days of Gerry Gow", tackling though sometimes brutal and cynical was NEVER two-footed. That form of tackling is a modern day aberration which both coaches and the authorities need to outlaw because its potentially career ending.

We'll have to  agree to disagree on that RH.

I vividly remember Gow being on the receiving end of a twol footed tackle from Ray Kennedy of Liverpool. It happened just yards from me sat with some patients from the hospital I was working with near the touch line in front of the Williams.

Gow got straight up as if nothing unusual had happened. No free kick or outrage from anyone within AG. It was seen as normal.

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Chris Wilders verdict on the assault on Korey.  I am sure his verdict would be the same if the roles had been reversed.

Wilder is clearly deluded. 

That is exactly the sort of tackle that turned players into pub landlords in years gone by. 

It was a poor challenge, a red card. No doubt.  But they happen in football. I imagine he has apologised.

The most striking part for me was the fan's reaction to it.

Booing korey during the incident, And after the game.

That was pretty poor.

As an aside it's a shame football doesn't have a red card injury rule where the tackler has to miss as many games as the injured player.

7 minutes ago, The turtle said:

It was a poor challenge, a red card. No doubt.  But they happen in football. I imagine he has apologised.

The most striking part for me was the fan's reaction to it.

Booing korey during the incident, And after the game.

That was pretty poor.

As an aside it's a shame football doesn't have a red card injury rule where the tackler has to miss as many games as the injured player.

Your second point is an interesting one. 

3 hours ago, P'head Red said:

I think it's interesting how he highlights a working class/ middle class divide, much like how they feel about Wednesday. Also relates a lot to them being below Wednesday for a long time, so maybe he feels somewhat 'connected' to the gas and their struggles in being the smaller team in a big city. Just love it how we won with a last minute winner, reactions like his make it all worth it. :clapping:

Wasn't that post taken from CCMB, a Cardiff forum?

Sorry, I am clearly not the first one to have noticed this.

It was a terrible tackle and their player was rightly sent off. I can understand their manager wanting to defend their player but it would have been more reasonable of him to say something along the lines of it being a rash tackle with no malice intended etc. 

The bitterness from them is probably because they felt on balance of play they deserved something from the game and our winner came so late.

I have no sympathy for them. Last night pays them back for that game a few years ago when they beat us 3-2 at Ashton Gate - we'd equalised in injury time only for them to go straight up the other end to get the winner.

Saw this earlier this morning from Kevin Gage, ex-Sheffield Utd full-back, and no nonsense full-back.

Think that sums up how bitter and stupid Wilder’s pits-match comments were.  I was disappointed with his comments, took the easy way out, by blaming the ref.

Archived