IGNORED

Fearing these injuries will do us...

spudski

... I can't help but feel our injuries will take their toll over the next month.

Last night, we really missed O'dowda I thought. Some of our 'squad' players just aren't quite there imo. I didn't think Elliasson made the impact needed that O'dowda usually does. His positioning to receive a pass was often wrong, and we lost an outlet many times.

Add that to the fact players will have off games, which I thought Pack and Reid did, then it will effect your general performance, especially when playing organised sides like Sheff Utd.

To our credit we battled and deserved something from the game. We were resilient and organised.

However...we won't be able to continue this game after game. It will take it's toll.

Seeing Korey hobble off hit home. To his credit, he was having a fine game last night. Long may that continue. Add Duric to the list as well....eeeeeeek.

For me...Elliasson, Leko, Woodrow, Taylor all need to step up a gear, and get up to speed with the rest of the squad. Leko especially...does my head in. Beats his man/men with ease only to run straight into a brick wall or miss pass, or shoot wildly. I can't honestly see how he fits in with our style of play.

If Korey is out...can see Magners being used and Bryan and Pato/Reid having to work extra hard in midfield.

We are missing a real RB and it seems missing Fam a bit too.  In saying that, the injuries have forced us to play an extra man in midfield and a false no.9, which has been working well.

As well as those who are out, I think 2 or 3 are still playing who arenursing injuries.

Dont forget also, that we are not the only team with injuries, most other teams have their own problems.

Hopefully, our crocks will recover in the next month or so for our final promotion onslaught and we may need to get one or 2 in in Jan.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Gunna be a tough month.

In addition to the injuries isn’t Reid suspended for the Forest game - 5th yellow against Sheff U wasn’t it?

Nope you are only suspended if you get 5 before the end of November. It’s now gone up to 10 yellows before suspension 

I think we'll still be in the playoffs by the time Famara is match fit again (late January). For me the injuries will take a tole but we'll be fine. I have faith in the young players to occasionally fill in and not disastrously affect the team, Vyner has won all 4 games he's played this season for example.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

... I can't help but feel our injuries will take their toll over the next month.

They have and they will continue to do so.  Last night I think you could tell a couple of players lacked spark (Bryan and Pack, but they still got stuck in and worked hard), Yet we’ve still gone and got results....we’ve probably bought ourselves a couple of free games.

Last night, we really missed O'dowda I thought. Some of our 'squad' players just aren't quite there imo. I didn't think Elliasson made the impact needed that O'dowda usually does. His positioning to receive a pass was often wrong, and we lost an outlet many times.

COD has been playing well, but i would suggest it had only been in the last 2 months.  Before that ‘kick-on’, I felt he was still missing giving us much impact offensively, even if he was really good as a partnership for either full-back.  We have missed his recent form I admit.  Agree on positioning, too far forward, sat in the full-back, rather than being a bit squarer, which would’ve either dragged his marker forward and created channel-space for Reid, or his marker stay put and he has space himself.

Add that to the fact players will have off games, which I thought Pack and Reid did, then it will effect your general performance, especially when playing organised sides like Sheff Utd.

To our credit we battled and deserved something from the game. We were resilient and organised.

i know they hit the woodwork 4 times, but Frankie didn’t have many other saves (near post drive that was parried away), and we had two deflected away from Close-in.

However...we won't be able to continue this game after game. It will take it's toll.

Seeing Korey hobble off hit home. To his credit, he was having a fine game last night. Long may that continue. Add Duric to the list as well....eeeeeeek.

yep, other teams will have had key injuries too....it’s what happens at this level. 

For me...Elliasson, Leko, Woodrow, Taylor all need to step up a gear, and get up to speed with the rest of the squad. Leko especially...does my head in. Beats his man/men with ease only to run straight into a brick wall or miss pass, or shoot wildly. I can't honestly see how he fits in with our style of play.

think you are harsh on Leko for last night’s performance (not other appearances i accept).  He gave our attacks a bit of pace / impetus, had them diving in, committing themselves....giving space for other to have easy keep-ball.  It took a lot of pressure off of us.

If Korey is out...can see Magners being used and Bryan and Pato/Reid having to work extra hard in midfield.

the fact that Korey didn’t ask for a stretcher is my hope that it’s an impact injury and a gash, and nothing more serious.  Might miss a couple, but not long term.  Could see us going 4141 with Pack holding and Bryan and Brownhill licence to join Reid.  Personally I think Reid needs someone up and around him, so would still go 442 and play Woodrow / Reid with Brownhill, Pack in the middle, Bryan and Pato wide.  The likes of Bakinson and Kelly are likely to be regulars in match day 18, even Garita, Holden, Plavotic too.  Hörður at LB to allow JB to play in midfield.  Last night LJ got it spot on with JB at LB over Hörður.

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We are missing a real RB and it seems missing Fam a bit too.  In saying that, the injuries have forced us to play an extra man in midfield and a false no.9, which has been working well.

As well as those who are out, I think 2 or 3 are still playing who arenursing injuries.

Dont forget also, that we are not the only team with injuries, most other teams have their own problems.

Hopefully, our crocks will recover in the next month or so for our final promotion onslaught and we may need to get one or 2 in in Jan.

But you know what, inevitably it comes down to the quality and confidence of the players.  And we have an abundance of both

When the season started it appeared that we almost had too many players, having bought people in to replace those we expected to sell who didn't end up leaving. But, as the season has progressed, we've picked up more than our fair share of long term injuries, leaving us worryingly short with possibly another six weeks before we can replenish the squad, given that most transfers take place towards the end of January. As such, there's a pretty compelling argument to put our reserves out against Manchester, given that we've already been chosen for Sky, we've sold the half season tickets and the rest of the add ons. It's a shame as I sincerely believe we have a team capable of getting a result and sticking it up 'em.

However, our position in the league is so incredible that we actually have a serious chance of promotion. Teams armed with parachute payments or foreign benefactors with bottomless pockets have thrown tens of millions to build squads that are below us in the league and promotion is the actual goal here and to risk it all for something that doesn't really matter would be something we could kick ourselves for, for years to come.

The League Cup or whatever it's called is like the winning the Leyland DAF compared to promotion to the Prem. Or, it's like a couple blowing their savings on a wedding when they could've used it for a deposit on a house. Let's get real .

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Eliasson was a disappointment. What 's the game plan for getting him involved? Surely there must be one but yesterday it was dissfunctional. COYR! 

1 minute ago, Full nelson said:

Duric will be out for 5 weeks from the 18th of this month so will it be a viable option to play Flint up top while substituting in Zac to play at RB and Wright to move in CB if the match isn’t going our way? Can others see this happening or is there no chance of this!! Hmmm

Why not. We are stretched to the limits.

The problem will be in Jan, is do we go and get new players in when others are close to a return, but it can take a long time to get match fit and up to speed and without any set backs.

I have always thought cup runs whilst great can really damage a promotion push, and losing Fam was a big loss just when he started to find his feet

26 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Eliasson was a disappointment. What 's the game plan for getting him involved? Surely there must be one but yesterday it was dissfunctional. COYR! 

24 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Weirda about Elliasson as he was poor last night but has decent off the bench. I like COD starting and him coming on but we don't have that option right now. 

I watched the game a second time and watched him closely - although he didn’t have any great impact I thought he did ok , considering he’s still learning and developing and trying to cope with the massive change to English Championship

Good first touch and neat and lively on occasions - also a lot more alert defensively , getting in his position quickly when Sheff had throws etc 

Certainly worked hard to contribute offensively and defensively - great first touch and some obvious ability

Did he have a ‘great game’   - no

but I actually thought there were some promising signs that he can adapt and contribute at this level

46 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

It's obvious we had a game plan Tommy... unfortunately Eliasson made errors in his decision making and movement to receive a pass. He failed many times to create and angle, and come slightly inside, instead opting to hug the touchline. I think he's aware of his defensive duties, which obviously don't come naturally, which imo, are effecting other parts of his offensive play. Hopefully all will come together soon for him.

25 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I watched the game a second time

You need to get out more ;)

I felt sorry for Eliasson, didn’t really get the early service that could have seen him get behind the WB. As it was they had an extra man. I would have kept the same 11 for the start of the 2nd half, even though we were slightly under the cosh,  I think he will come good like ODowda

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I think we'll still be in the playoffs by the time Famara is match fit again (late January). For me the injuries will take a tole but we'll be fine. I have faith in the young players to occasionally fill in and not disastrously affect the team, Vyner has won all 4 games he's played this season for example.

I have a feeling he will be back on the bench by the end of the month. No inside info but it is not a horrible injury really. I would say he has had enough time to heal and be into his rehab. I am not sure if he is back in training yet but I would think that is coming soon. Of course I am basing this off similar injuries I have seen in basketball amd the fact Famara is quite young and fit. Young fit people tend to heal faster imo. Anyway, I hope he is back soon and definitely sooner than late January. 

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

You need to get out more ;)

I felt sorry for Eliasson, didn’t really get the early service that could have seen him get behind the WB. As it was they had an extra man. I would have kept the same 11 for the start of the 2nd half, even though we were slightly under the cosh,  I think he will come good like ODowda

Is it just me that thinks Eliasson is likely injured?  The foul he received for our game looked like the painful sort that really stiffens up the calf.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

It's obvious we had a game plan Tommy... unfortunately Eliasson made errors in his decision making and movement to receive a pass. He failed many times to create and angle, and come slightly inside, instead opting to hug the touchline. I think he's aware of his defensive duties, which obviously don't come naturally, which imo, are effecting other parts of his offensive play. Hopefully all will come together soon for him.

Could part of this be down to match fitness/sharpness. Surely it takes a run of games to get up to speed. 

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I watched the game a second time and watched him closely - although he didn’t have any great impact I thought he did ok , considering he’s still learning and developing and trying to cope with the massive change to English Championship

Good first touch and neat and lively on occasions - also a lot more alert defensively , getting in his position quickly when Sheff had throws etc 

Certainly worked hard to contribute offensively and defensively - great first touch and some obvious ability

Did he have a ‘great game’   - no

but I actually thought there were some promising signs that he can adapt and contribute at this level

Completely agree. Shame he wasn't on the pitch when they went down to 10 men  as he'd have had a field day imo

7 hours ago, spudski said:

You are spot on Sir.

7 hours ago, spudski said:

If Eliasson gets the game time he will get used to how the game is played. You could have said the same about O'Dowda last season. He wasn't really affecting games.  Now he's being missed.  

Agree about Leko. He doesn't seem to have any real understanding of the game.  Can see him at Barnet in about 2 seasons. 

1 hour ago, OldlandReddies said:

We have picked up a fair few cards in recent games as well so several players must be close to a ban. That said, most clubs in and around us will also suffer with injuries/suspension so all down to who can cope with it the best. We havent done too bad so far !

Only Nathan Baker is close to picking up a ban for 10 yellows (the deadline for 5 yellows has passed).

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/suspensions/clubdiscipline?league=31&club=10551931

Archived