IGNORED

Football on 5 (merged)

MC RISK77

20 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Murray has not been on the last two weeks, now being presented by that rubbish bird...has he left?

Not sure about this week but week before he was presenting the live boxing on channel 5 which started just after the footy highlight program.

Saw the City game again on C5.......and noticed two examples of how not to defend.

Firstly - Baker was either too slow or not  fully alert when he allowed Clarke ( their most prolific striker ) to whizz past him and fire in the equaliser 

Secondly - where was the United defence when Flint was left completely unmarked in added time to bag the winner?

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Saw the City game again on C5.......and noticed two examples of how not to defend.

Firstly - Baker was either too slow or not  fully alert when he allowed Clarke ( their most prolific striker ) to whizz past him and fire in the equaliser 

Secondly - where was the United defence when Flint was left completely unmarked in added time to bag the winner?

Sorry that one was down to Frankie! Wtf was he doing almost on his knees for a shot from that distance? If he was upright he would have saved it - went in at a height of no more than 5feet!

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He didn't whizz past him to score, but he was at fault. Clarke got away from Baker at first but he managed to get back in front of him. Unfortunately Baker then proceeded to back off him way too much as he entered the box and gave him too much room to get his shot away. 

6 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Sorry that one was down to Frankie! Wtf was he doing almost on his knees for a shot from that distance? If he was upright he would have saved it - went in at a height of no more than 5feet!

Thats nonsense.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Didnt you see - Wilder insisted Flint was offside so based on those lies his defence were where they were supposed to be!

39 minutes ago, Robbored said:

To quote David Coleman when GB hockey beat Germany " where was the German defence?? Who cares??"

:-)

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What frustrated me more was Bryan bimbling back. Baker was trying to hold Clarke up and get a 2 v 1. Watching it again I’m pretty sure he could have got there too.

sorry to be so petty, but how at the end of a program that sums up the weekends championship games, at the end of the program can you when showing the league positions fail to mention the team that are third in the league, unbelievable watch it yourselves I'm speechless. 

4 minutes ago, Kibs said:

What frustrated me more was Bryan bimbling back. Baker was trying to hold Clarke up and get a 2 v 1. Watching it again I’m pretty sure he could have got there too.

There were so many things wrong with their goal starting with our midfield being out of position. They won the ball back and one pass put Clarke 1v1 with our centreback. Bryan jogged back and Baker gave up too much ground. Was such an uncharacteristic goal to concede. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Firstly agree Baker at fault. Got the right side - just - but then let Clarke run 30 yards and shoot! Uncharacteristicly poor so I’ll give him a pass.

Secondly - nowhere as a result of being stitched up by their managers tactics and substitutes post red card. I thought that goal was almost inevitable in last 10 minutes. 

We never get a mention tbh. Nevermind, let them talk about all the big teams below us. ;)

I did think someone would have mentioned the horror tackle and Korey getting booed for ‘diving’. Especially after their managers views have some to light, obviously better to stay out of it. 

28 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Annoyed me and all. He's got the pace, he could've got there easily.

33 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Agree with this, although did wonder if JB was playing with an injury as did not seem himself and had a poor game

6 hours ago, Kibs said:

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Annoyed me and all. He's got the pace, he could've got there easily.

I’m glad some others had noticed this. 

The fault for the goal lies with Bryan, pure and simple. 

When Clarke makes his run to get onto the through ball, Bryan is 5 yards behind him. Clarke runs and runs with the ball, Baker does his best to hold him up (knowing he has no cover behind so he can’t dive into a tackle), but Slow Joe just idly ambles back, not sensing any danger and not helping out his centre half. 

If Joe sprints back, by the time Clarke cuts inside and shoots, Joe should be there as cover, meaning Clarke would’ve had to carry on being ushered to the by-line and thus be neutralised and have to hold up for support. 

People will know that I’ve been critical of this trait in Joe’s play for a long time. If he gets this right I believe he can be a very good player. But all the time he continues to react to opposition attacks in this way (which he does way to frequently for me), then I see him as only a decently average left back. 

It seems to me, that because his natural tendencies are as a winger, when he gets forward he doesn’t have the full back mentality of getting back quickly. Compare his actions for their goal with Bailey Wright’s 70 yard full pace sprint to tackle their player in the box in the dying minutes. That’s what a defensively committed full back should act like. Joe still has to learn that side of the position. A tale of two full backs right there. I’m afraid to say that had that late attack come down our left hand side, Bryan would not have sprinted 70 yards to make that tackle and we may very well have conceded. 

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I’m glad some others had noticed this. 

The fault for the goal lies with Bryan, pure and simple. 

When Clarke makes his run to get onto the through ball, Bryan is 5 yards behind him. Clarke runs and runs with the ball, Baker does his best to hold him up (knowing he has no cover behind so he can’t dive into a tackle), but Slow Joe just idly ambles back, not sensing any danger and not helping out his centre half. 

If Joe sprints back, by the time Clarke cuts inside and shoots, Joe should be there as cover, meaning Clarke would’ve had to carry on being ushered to the by-line and thus be neutralised and have to hold up for support. 

People will know that I’ve been critical of this trait in Joe’s play for a long time. If he gets this right I believe he can be a very good player. But all the time he continues to react to opposition attacks in this way (which he does way to frequently for me), then I see him as only a decently average left back. 

It seems to me, that because his natural tendencies are as a winger, when he gets forward he doesn’t have the full back mentality of getting back quickly. Compare his actions for their goal with Bailey Wright’s 70 yard full pace sprint to tackle their player in the box in the dying minutes. That’s what a defensively committed full back should act like. Joe still has to learn that side of the position. A tale of two full backs right there. I’m afraid to say that had that late attack come down our left hand side, Bryan would not have sprinted 70 yards to make that tackle and we may very well have conceded. 

Spot on Harry...Was going to make a similar post myself. The goal was totally down to Bryan not covering and tracking back properly.

You only have to see Bakers reaction after the goal to underline this.

Bryan is fine going forward, but his defending, although getting better, is still questionable, especially his positioning. I think Jamie Mac is helping.

He's definitely a bonus for the way we play, with attacking wing backs. But as a pure LB...he's miles off.

Archived