IGNORED

That Benteke Penalty

Port Said Red

Maybe I am just a naturally suspicious person, but does anyone else think the whole thing should be investigated? A few years back the papers were full of stories about betting syndicates influencing games, but that seems to have gone quiet lately.

I wonder what they would find if they looked into the bets placed on this game.

5 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Got any footage? Was it that bad?

It's on MOTD right now and it was terrible. But it's everything else leading up to it. They have a regular penalty taker who has not missed yet, he had already taken and scored one earlier in the game, and was still one the pitch. Benteke insisted on taking it with all his teammates trying to stop him, and he pretty much rolled it straight at the keeper. Hodgson was fuming and said it was "a unilateral decision" by Benteke.

16 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Got any footage? Was it that bad?

It wasn't so much that it was a bad penalty ( it was) but how it came about.

Palace had scored earlier in the game through their regular penalty taker, Milivojevic. When it came to their last minute penalty, Benteke snatched the ball from Milivojevic to take it himself and then made a right hash of it.

Roy Hodgson could barely suppress his anger on MOTD and I bet Benteke is the favourite person in the Palace dressing room!

P.S. See Port Said Red posted pretty well the same thing.

2 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

Completely selfish act and for someone playing without any confidence abolutely baffling. Even more so considering the Palace penalty taker had tucked one away so well earlier in the game.

I'd drop him and make him train with the stiffs for a week. 

Service to Benteke will be rubbish in the next few games.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

It's on MOTD right now and it was terrible. But it's everything else leading up to it. They have a regular penalty taker who has not missed yet, he had already taken and scored one earlier in the game, and was still one the pitch. Benteke insisted on taking it with all his teammates trying to stop him, and he pretty much rolled it straight at the keeper. Hodgson was fuming and said it was "a unilateral decision" by Benteke.

I think it was more about an extremely selfish and arrogant player trying to get his first goal of the season than anything else. I don't think he missed on purpose - it you were doing that then you'd probably be good enough to hit the bar or post or just 'hit it too well'. Anyway it's such a funny thing to happen unless you're a Palace fan. He's got over 2.5 years left on his contract so I don't think they'll be able to dump him from first team plans completely but I expect he'll be training with the U23's or on hi sown for a bit.

8 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

"It's not horrendous." No its not; It's far, far worse.

The best that can be said about it is that the ball got in the way of the goalie.

6 hours ago, 054123 said:

It's not horrendous.

The whole episode is horrendous, the arrogant and average overpaid **** decides that he is the only one in the Palace side who is good enough to take this penalty, even though a team mate had taken a perfectly good penalty earlier in the game, my question is where was the captain whilst this circus was playing out?, this is when you need a captain who can make sure that the managers tactics/plan are carried out to the letter but nobody had the balls to stand up to this tosser.

In an ideal world he should be transfer listed and left to rot.

And it is suspicious IMO.

16 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The whole episode is horrendous, the arrogant and average overpaid **** decides that he is the only one in the Palace side who is good enough to take this penalty, even though a team mate had taken a perfectly good penalty earlier in the game, my question is where was the captain whilst this circus was playing out?, this is when you need a captain who can make sure that the managers tactics/plan are carried out to the letter but nobody had the balls to stand up to this tosser.

In an ideal world he should be transfer listed and left to rot.

And it is suspicious IMO.

The way the penalty was described, I thought it was a panenka style penalty that was rolled into the keeper. The penalty itself is probably matched by others this year, but the keeper guesses the right way.

Obviously the overall situation is ridiculous.

7 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Someone also needs to start taking a look at the pathetic way Wilfred Zaha throws himself to the floor to 'win/con' the first penalty.

It is pathetic, a bit like the one Everton just got. Seems if you breath on players in the box, they fling themselves down. Not sure what the answer is, as often there is ever so slight contact, and they get a huge reward.

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

It is pathetic, a bit like the one Everton just got. Seems if you breath on players in the box, they fling themselves down. Not sure what the answer is, as often there is ever so slight contact, and they get a huge reward.

Games gone if Zaha's was a penalty. "Entitled to go down" winds me up no end, absolutely pathetic.

Archived