IGNORED

That Benteke Penalty

Port Said Red

The Palace forum made for interesting reading this morning. A mixture of "he best work his arse off midweek" & "i hope he never plays again" - awkward situation for Hodgson over the next few days as to what to do with him

Terrible penalty and with his penalty history, only he knows what went through his mind at that moment. 

The player who took their penalty earlier in the game scored a near unstoppable penalty, a great hit in the top corner. Benteke's pen was just awful. A complete contrast.

Thing is, it does his cause no good if he wants to leave as what club would want to sign someone like that?

Just to add to my conspiracy theory, I mentioned on another thread how intrusive I found the electronic advertising around the ground on the highlights, but I was also struck by the number of ads for betting companies with asian style characters incorporated into them. I presume they had sold game rights in asia, home of the dodgy betting syndicates? 

CP3.jpg

CP2.jpg

CP1.jpg

20 hours ago, cityexile said:

It is pathetic, a bit like the one Everton just got. Seems if you breath on players in the box, they fling themselves down. Not sure what the answer is, as often there is ever so slight contact, and they get a huge reward.

Still can't believe Everton got that penalty, or that all the pundits just went along with it and said it was clumsy by Lovren. All he did was put his hand on the guy's back.

The "there's contact so he can go down" theory doesn't work if it's on the upper body. If you're moving at speed and you get even the slightest contact against legs or feet of course it could unbalance you. A hand on the back should not. 

2 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Still can't believe Everton got that penalty, or that all the pundits just went along with it and said it was clumsy by Lovren. All he did was put his hand on the guy's back.

The "there's contact so he can go down" theory doesn't work if it's on the upper body. If you're moving at speed and you get even the slightest contact against legs or feet of course it could unbalance you. A hand on the back should not. 

Plus I feel the movement towards contact came from Calvert -Lewin, they said he was just getting his body between the man and the ball but he did more than that. 

3 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

The problem is that the FA just tries to find ways of making punishing the guilty almost impossible.

For me it's simple.

1. Any dive during a game issue a retrospective yellow.

2. Any dive leading to a penalty 3 game ban.

3. Any dive leading to a player being sent off 5 game ban.

4. Any pundit saying he was entitled to go down, sacked with immediate effect + a week in the local stocks having rotten fruit and veg thrown at them.

5. I would even go further and review free kicks and corners and retrospectively hand out yellows and bans where necessary.

The problem is widespread and the FA and pundits are playing their part in not de railing the gravy train.

21 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

The problem is that the FA just tries to find ways of making punishing the guilty almost impossible.

For me it's simple.

1. Any dive during a game issue a retrospective yellow.

2. Any dive leading to a penalty 3 game ban.

3. Any dive leading to a player being sent off 5 game ban.

4. Any pundit saying he was entitled to go down, sacked with immediate effect + a week in the local stocks having rotten fruit and veg thrown at them.

5. I would even go further and review free kicks and corners and retrospectively hand out yellows and bans where necessary.

The problem is widespread and the FA and pundits are playing their part in not de railing the gravy train.

The issue with that right, as someone said on here a few weeks ago, is you could end up punishing the team who were dived against, as it were.

Say Arsenal are playing Huddersfield, and next week they play Crystal Palace. Lacazette dives, wins a penalty, scores it, Arsenal win 1-0. If you ban Lacazette for 3 games, Huddersfield are punished further because their relegation rivals Crystal Palace play Arsenal without Lacazette.

I agree hugely on the last sentence though, refs need to be made aware of the issue and give out harsher and harsher punishments til its no longer part of the game.

Archived