IGNORED

Should Sheffield United have had 2 Players Sent Off?

P'head Red

24 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Watching the highlights back again this morning, should the referee have given them a retrospective red card for the challenge made on Bobby as he clipped the ball into Flint?

Another disgusting challenge.

Bobby.PNG

I watched it back this morning and thought exactly the same.

Awful challenge.

37 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

If he’d have dished out a red he’d have to stop play.. so as bad as it looks I’ll take the  3 points instead 

Ah, hadn't realised play had to be stopped for a red. Thought it could have been a situation where refs play on and then dish out the punishment, as they can with yellows. But yes, I agree about taking the three points. 

17 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Ah, hadn't realised play had to be stopped for a red. Thought it could have been a situation where refs play on and then dish out the punishment, as they can with yellows. But yes, I agree about taking the three points. 

Yep any red card incident must be dealt with straight away so player can’t influence any resulting play etc

15 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Could he not have played the advantage, allowed the goal and still given a yellow or red card?

Yellow yes but not a Red. Imagine if he played advantage, flints shot hits the post and he hacks it away.. 

2 hours ago, P'head Red said:

Watching the highlights back again this morning, should the referee have given them a retrospective red card for the challenge made on Bobby as he clipped the ball into Flint?

Another disgusting challenge.

Bobby.PNG

I did ask the question on another thread. I.e. Did the ref make a booking? You can play advantage and still caution a player of course.

4 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Yep any red card incident must be dealt with straight away so player can’t influence any resulting play etc

I vaguely remember that this may have been changed? Think it's only for goal scoring opportunities tho.

So like if a player is through on goal the ref would be able to let the player score and then go back and send someone off.

14 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I vaguely remember that this may have been changed? Think it's only for goal scoring opportunities tho.

So like if a player is through on goal the ref would be able to let the player score and then go back and send someone off.

This suggests you might well be correct...

"ADVANTAGE

If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution / send off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution / send off must be issued when the ball is next out of play, except when the denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity results in a goal the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour.

Advantage should not be applied in situations involving serious foul play, violent conduct or a second cautionable offence unless there is a clear opportunity to score a goal. The referee must send off the player when the ball is next out of play but if the player plays the ball or challenges/interferes with an opponent, the referee will stop play, send off the player and restart with an indirect free kick, unless the player committed a more serious offence"

http://www.theifab.com/laws/fouls-and-misconduct/chapters/disciplinary-action

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I did ask the question on another thread. I.e. Did the ref make a booking? You can play advantage and still caution a player of course.

I think he would have struggled to get out of Bramall Lane alive if, after the sending off, he had then booked their player after we scored the winner.

19 hours ago, downendcity said:

I think he would have struggled to get out of Bramall Lane alive if, after the sending off, he had then booked their player after we scored the winner.

The referee has to do his job as he sees it regardless and thankfully they usually do. But If it has come to that then we may as well pack up; to coin Wilders recent use of the expression.

50 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

yellow card that one, dangerous tackle use but he hasn't gone in with two feet like fleck

Agreed.. I noticed at least 3 similar tackles during that match including the sending off of Fleck.

I saw a few more stampings in the Sunday prem games.

Are we seeing more of this now or is it the norm? Are the soft football boots part of the reason why players get injured through these sort of fouls?

Archived