IGNORED

So...if the unthinkable happened and we got promotion...

spudski

I think stick mainly with the quality players that got us there and add a few that fit. Not past their sell by date ones just looking for a last prem payday. We should look at the clubs we finished just above and try and recruit from there - players like Assombalonga, and Vydra.

I very much doubt SL and LJ will allow City to become the retirement home it has in the past.

A strategy based on spending our way out of the division seems to me doomed to failure. There are always bigger fish. Our strategy at the moment at least has some chance of success, albeit not without risk. Real premier league quality players want real premier league wages, and for us that it not possible unless we went up.

If we were going to splash a bit of cash, I would have thought attracting some high quality loans would make some sense - although easier said than done.

Two asides - obviously Kodjia is a massive exception, but in the medium term seems we have done better with hungry British young players, who know our game? Equally, always seems to me every promotion challenge creates an interesting psychological position for some players, who are being asked to bust a gut to get promotion, and may also think they are doing themselves out of a job possibly in a higher league.

Dare to dream sure, but stick to our chosen path rather than chase it.

I honestly think arguably we are the best team outside the Prem at the moment, well maybe not the best assembled squad but the way we approach a game and the never say die approach and of course we have LJ. We have beaten Cardiff, and drawn with Wolves so that might support my theory to some extent.Oh! an add beating Watford and Stoke too and the upcoming Man U too, I guess we might be already Prem ready, and with just a little sprinkling of some extra goodies no reason to think otherwise.  

2 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

I honestly think arguably we are the best team outside the Prem at the moment, well maybe not the best assembled squad but the way we approach a game and the never say die approach and of course we have LJ. We have beaten Cardiff, and drawn with Wolves so that might support my theory to some extent.Oh! an add beating Watford and Stoke too and the upcoming Man U too, I guess we might be already Prem ready, and with just a little sprinkling of some extra goodies no reason to think otherwise.  

Think Cardiff and Wolves would disagree!

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Think Cardiff and Wolves would disagree!

Agree. Still keeping my feet firmly planted. In the round, difficult to see how the first half of the season could have gone much better than it has, and if Cardiff win tomorrow we are still six points away from the top two.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

A tough call for any manager in our present position...buy to get promoted, or buy for the Prem?

You buy to win promotion ad if it happens then one reviews and recruits.

To go up, I think we need another right back, creative midfelder and central striker.

To stay up, well that's a totally different situation which is best left to LJ, his coaching team and Mark Ashton to consider in advance so as to be ready to strike as soon it's confirmed.

But as one said earlier, I don't think we will go mad as the initial scenario will probably be to consolidate if possible but be fully aware that we may have to do a couple of bounces before we become established.

23 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

And not forgetting Palace!!

I would be happy with our first choice back four - Pisano, Flint, Baker & Bryan

Midfield Smith & Brownhill could do ok in the Prem

The rest would need investment, creating chances and scoring is what gets you the points to stay up and our current attacking players probably aside from Djuric wouldn’t be of the quality we would need

Frankie - Decent goalie and a reliable No2 but a top quality keeper would be needed to keep us in games at that level 

14 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Interesting poll on the Cardiff Boards.

Not rubbishing it, can see why people vote that way. Top 6 will be a massive achievement.

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php?428918-Which-team-do-you-reckon-is-our-biggest-threat-to-promotion-besides-Wolves

I do like the one who says that their biggest threat is themselves!

We`ve all been there at one time or another.

23 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You buy to win promotion ad if it happens then one reviews and recruits.

To go up, I think we need another right back, creative midfelder and central striker.

To stay up, well that's a totally different situation which is best left to LJ, his coaching team and Mark Ashton to consider in advance so as to be ready to strike as soon it's confirmed.

But as one said earlier, I don't think we will go mad as the initial scenario will probably be to consolidate if possible but be fully aware that we may have to do a couple of bounces before we become established.

As an afterthought to my previous post, I believe that we should be looking to the future at whatever level that may be, and give Vyner, Kelly and perhaps Morrell some game time in the second half of this season. These three are the nearest we have at this moment to being ready for first team action.

6 minutes ago, INCRED said:

I would be happy with our first choice back four - Pisano, Flint, Baker & Bryan

Midfield Smith & Brownhill could do ok in the Prem

The rest would need investment, creating chances and scoring is what gets you the points to stay up and our current attacking players probably aside from Djuric wouldn’t be of the quality we would need

Frankie - Decent goalie and a reliable No2 but a top quality keeper would be needed to keep us in games at that level 

add Paterson and pack too....

2 hours ago, spudski said:

... would you want the Promotion winning squad of lads given a chance to shine in the Prem...or bring in more recruits in the summer?

1976 Alan Dicks knew in his heart that Brian Drysdale wasn't quite good enough for Division One, but stuck with him for a few months. The remainder of the squad appeared good enough to go on, but it lacked depth. This was proved after Cheeseley was crocked.

29 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Interesting poll on the Cardiff Boards.

Not rubbishing it, can see why people vote that way. Top 6 will be a massive achievement.

http://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.php?428918-Which-team-do-you-reckon-is-our-biggest-threat-to-promotion-besides-Wolves

All of 16 voted.not very representative,  Villa figure, which is a good shout, considering.

OK so City get into the Prem. Then in July Donald Trump involves us in a nuclear war, so we don't get to see it.

April 1985 a Shef W fan I worked with was crowing that "the Owls would play in Europe next season". Then the following month, Heysell occurred and English clubs were banned from Europe for five years.

I'd be happy if we bulked up the squad with talented young players from the Championship, for example the Brentford lads. 

Sheffield Wednesday have tried to win promotion by buying players with high end experience and it hasn't worked. 

Wonder if the loan policy for post-January will be influenced by injury list.  Might stifle development, but Morrell and Moore might not be risked.  Doubt Kelly will get a chance of a loan either, making a mockery of the loan system, and denying him some game time.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Such a myth.

Our infrastructure was such that we weren't in a position to go for top players then.

What he actually did afterwards though was nearly doubled our record transfer fee in bringing in Nicky Maynard, who despite the silly way that it all ended, was exactly what the previous side had lacked, a prolific "fox in the box" striker.

Maynard was an outstanding signing, scoring more in a season for us than anyone since at this level up until we borrowed Tammy..

I don't disagree but that summer we seemed to spend the whole summer trying to sign a striker. Didn't we start off trying to get Maynard then went for that Egyptian bloke and then the guy from Coventry and then when put of options went back in for Maynard?

Yes our infrastructure was poor but our stock was high and I don't think we took advantage of that.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Top half of the Championship and bottom half of the Prem can compete at a par. You don’t need to go up and spend loads. 

The likes of Palace could be the next Portsmouth. 

Burnley & Huddersfield are examples of doing things the right way.

Couldnt agree more and the football is much more attractive when the lower part of the prem play!!!

in terms of players coming in.... I'd only want players who actually wanted to be here instead of some old journeymen who just make the odd appearance, making sod all effort and robbing the club of a few thousand quid weekly. Young hungry players have suited, and I suggest we dont stray too far from that template. WE WILL though need  PL experience at the back, in Midfield and at the front. If we landed PL Football at AG, I'd probably be too pissed to notice what had happened for the first few weeks of the season though

21 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

in terms of players coming in.... I'd only want players who actually wanted to be here instead of some old journeymen who just make the odd appearance, making sod all effort and robbing the club of a few thousand quid weekly. Young hungry players have suited, and I suggest we dont stray too far from that template. WE WILL though need  PL experience at the back, in Midfield and at the front. If we landed PL Football at AG, I'd probably be too pissed to notice what had happened for the first few weeks of the season though

Jody Morris anyone?

Archived