IGNORED

So...if the unthinkable happened and we got promotion...

spudski

Having not seen much in the way of games, from what I have seen we need a bit more nous and strength in midfield. 

Many will be baying for my blood when I say Flint won’t make it. He is an absolute colossus of a player, great at this level, but positionally he is sometimes naive, which with the speed and quality of the prem could be an issue. Although, taking nothing away from the lad he’s adapted to the us level, he should be given a chance to prove himself at the top tier.

Premier league journeymen aren’t what we need. Geez, the number of times I swore at Gary Owers for just not having the pace to go box to box was astounding. He is not the player we need.

i can see us going offshore. We have the set up. 

3 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

I honestly think arguably we are the best team outside the Prem at the moment, well maybe not the best assembled squad but the way we approach a game and the never say die approach and of course we have LJ. We have beaten Cardiff, and drawn with Wolves so that might support my theory to some extent.Oh! an add beating Watford and Stoke too and the upcoming Man U too, I guess we might be already Prem ready, and with just a little sprinkling of some extra goodies no reason to think otherwise.  

So Tam and Levelller rubbish this post but chose not to add any reply, sometimes I wonder if we deserve a Prem team at all with some of the sh1te support on offer. Perhaps they should support the likes of Thatch. We are on the cusp of something special, and yet there is still so much negativity.

So come on tell us why?

5 hours ago, spudski said:

... would you want the Promotion winning squad of lads given a chance to shine in the Prem...or bring in more recruits in the summer?

Tough call?

I know it's getting ahead of ourselves...but it's something that crossed my mind this morning, when considering bringing in any new recruits during the January window.

A tough call for any manager in our present position...buy to get promoted, or buy for the Prem?

Take into consideration injuries, contracts, budget, league position etc....a lot to think about.

I'd keep doing exactly what we're doing now....the recruitment 'ethos' is absolutely spot on at the moment IMO

Yes, if we got promoted of course we'd be spending £10m + on players. Even the likes of Watford and Palace do that these days. But I'd hope they'd be players with potential and future value to the football club.

23 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Having not seen much in the way of games, from what I have seen we need a bit more nous and strength in midfield. 

Many will be baying for my blood when I say Flint won’t make it. He is an absolute colossus of a player, great at this level, but positionally he is sometimes naive, which with the speed and quality of the prem could be an issue. Although, taking nothing away from the lad he’s adapted to the us level, he should be given a chance to prove himself at the top tier.

Premier league journeymen aren’t what we need. Geez, the number of times I swore at Gary Owers for just not having the pace to go box to box was astounding. He is not the player we need.

i can see us going offshore. We have the set up. 

I felt the same about Flint when he might have gone, but now I think some of his shortcomings is counterbalanced by his attitude and downright will to win at all costs. And that to me is priceless.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'd keep doing exactly what we're doing now....the recruitment 'ethos' is absolutely spot on at the moment IMO

Yes, if we got promoted of course we'd be spending £10m + on players. Even the likes of Watford and Palace do that these days. But I'd hope they'd be players with potential and future value to the football club.

I used to say that if we got promoted I`d hope we wouldn`t just get in a lot of unheard-of Eastern Europeans because we felt it was expected of us.

Now I wouldn`t  mind if we did because I know we`ll have done our due diligence and got them for a bargain.

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I agree. 

I couldn't be happier with the way the club is now being run and structured  - the philosophy, the type of players the spirit that seems to run through the club and not just the team.

Many joke or deride the DNA issue, but i think it is key to make sure that players "fit in" not just within the team and other players but  the club as a whole. If we should be promoted we will obviously be looking at a higher level of player in monetary value, but I think the same principles should be maintained. I am convinced our model will be the right way for many clubs in the future - other than the massively wealthy clubs at the top of the tree, who will hopefully b****r off to a European super league before too long,.

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Many joke or deride the DNA issue, but i think it is key .

A lot of people derided a lot of things - mainly because they saw it as management speak and meaningless bollocks and was being said by `suits` who they disliked purely because of that.

They don`t seem to be going on about it quite so much nowadays.

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

We would need a new GK. Much as I like Frankie. Does Steele have the potential I think he has?

Our defence should survive if all fit but need quality cover.

Patto, Josh, Korey & COD may all be OK but need cover. Eliason not up to it yet and Marlon not Premiership I'm afraid.

Would need a quality striker unless we intend playing with a false no. 9.

Potential? He is 4 years older than Frankie

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I totally agree mate.

I wouldn't want journeyman Prem players with 'Experience'....those going from Club to Club.

24 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

whilst I understand that, I wouldn't want us to be torn an extra ass because we lack PL "know how".

It's an interesting thought.... I'd rather try doing it a different way, as we are doing in this league.

I speak to friends at Burnley, WBA, Stoke and they all say the same thing...playing in the Prem is less entertaining than it is in the Championship.

All teams outside of the top 6 playing in such a similar way. A win at all costs attitude takes over.

The majority have said they preferred their time in the Championship.

It's a catch 22...we want the Club to achieve and play at the highest level, but at what cost.

It's a sobering thought.

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's an interesting thought.... I'd rather try doing it a different way, as we are doing in this league.

I speak to friends at Burnley, WBA, Stoke and they all say the same thing...playing in the Prem is less entertaining than it is in the Championship.

All teams outside of the top 6 playing in such a similar way. A win at all costs attitude takes over.

It's a catch 22...we want the Club to achieve and play at the highest level, but at what cost.

It's a sobering thought.

I quite believe. I live on the Hants/Wilts border these days and take occasional trips to St Marys. Their kick off times (because of their Premier league staus) gets shifted round enormously. I cant help but like Saints. they have quite a template, and we'd do well to follow. However.... they will never get top 6 status etc etc

48 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I'd also wonder about Johnny Evans

The same Jonny Evans that Man City and other top level sides are interested in signing? Didn't Man City have a £30m bid turned down this summer?

I like your positivity but I would suggest he is way above our level even if we do get promoted. 

1 minute ago, RED4LIFE said:

The same Jonny Evans that Man City and other top level sides are interested in signing? Didn't Man City have a £30m bid turned down this summer?

I like your positivity but I would suggest he is way above our level even if we do get promoted. 

really? £30 mill? I like him but I wouldnt support paying £30mill for the ******

Just now, Sweeneys Penalties said:

really? £30 mill? I like him but I wouldnt support paying £30mill for the ******

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they bid that but West Brom refused to sell. I think I read Arsenal are interested too.

Great player but way out of our league.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's a sobering thought.

I often think the same and of the time we have spent in this league over the last few seasons I have always thought that anyone can beat anyone which makes the Championship so exciting. With the Prem it’s all about the top 6 and the rest are fighting over the scraps, the only exception being Leicester and that freak season. The measure of success for most clubs is staying in the league. I would be overjoyed at achieving promotion to the top division but who knows after that. After watching the quality of football of the top clubs it would be an achievement not to concede a hatful each week or perhaps LJ has a cunning plan to get us into Europe in our first season???

9 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

I reckon a good proportion of our first team, based on their performances this season, could cut it against most of the PL sides.

think what happened when we came up after smashing league 1, we all or at least most of us thought that nearly all our players would at least hold their own if not better, I for one did not realise what a jump in standard it was and i'm pretty sure it is at least that much a step up again, some of our current squad have indeed made the leap from league one to the championship but it took a while for some of them, I have no doubt at least 5 of our current first team could do it, how long it would take them to get up to speed I don't know, there is no room for sentiment in the cut throat business that is the premier league and I would hope we would be ruthless in our ambition to stay there.

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Am I the only one who isnt that fussed about getting to the prem? I quite enjoy my Saturday afternoons out!

I think for many clubs the journey to the top league is much more fun than arriving.

I am very very happy being competitive in this league. Going up, unless we really balls it up, should mean we are at least competitive if we come down again. I enjoy this league. Of course would love the excitement of promotion, but do not see it as everything it is cracked up to be.

6 hours ago, pillred said:

sorry disagree, beginning to think tammy is a very good championship striker, not so sure if he will cut it at the highest level.

it's all a learning curve. He'll be better next season than this. There's not so much a gap between the Championship and the Premier League as an Ocean. It's a very different world

Archived