IGNORED

Latest on the snow from the BBC

Erithacus

1 minute ago, WhistleHappy said:

OMG ...

Can't we do anything for ourselves in this country anymore?

Yellow snow... probably part of Marvin Ree's trade negotiations with the Chinese, while selling off chunks of our city to them. 

Always listen to Buster

On 11/12/2017 at 15:26, WhistleHappy said:

OMG ...

Can't we do anything for ourselves in this country anymore?

Clearly not! ....it’s pathetic ....I remember trudging to school in the 70s up to my ankles in snow ...school was open and we got on with it! ...nowadays 0.5cm is enough to close everything from schools to airports ! ....wrap everyone up in cotton wool and stay at home would be the choice of our nanny state ! ....boils my p***! 

56 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

Clearly not! ....it’s pathetic ....I remember trudging to school in the 70s up to my ankles in snow ...school was open and we got on with it! ...nowadays 0.5cm is enough to close everything from schools to airports ! ....wrap everyone up in cotton wool and stay at home would be the choice of our nanny state ! ....boils my p***! 

As with all these things it`s the fear of being sued by some arsehole of a parent after little Mercedes or Chardonnay has fallen over and grazed her knee.

Working in a school (Site Manager) at least half of our school staff have at least a half hour drive (some more) to get to school. Combine that with people driving a lot slower, traffic a lot heavier, a half hour journey can easily turn into a 2 hour plus one. If you haven't got the staff to man 280+ kids, you can't open.

Our school was open on Monday - yes heavy snow but it was driveable. We opened to the kids at 10, and finished at 230, even then some were moaning (at least we were open). This was to allow people to travel in the daylight and obviously to allow for extra time.

Tuesday we were closed. As much grit as I put down on Monday, everything just froze up. Both playgrounds were like ice rinks (and still were when I went in at 1), locks were frozen, but more importantly every footpath around the school, as well as the roads leading to it, were dangerous. We are a rural school with some roads not having much of a footpath, and a main road running alongside it.

Whichever decision you make as a school - to open or close - in this weather, you never make everyone happy.

Monday' school closures were overkill, and if I was in charge of one of those schools that closed for some snow, then I'd be embarassed.

Archived