IGNORED

Champions league draw

phantom

I don't really give a shit about the Champions League. It's clearly all about the Carabao cup this year; a trophy which Messi is yet to win. When he's on Piers Morgan's Life Stories in 15 years I would be surprised if he didn't shed a few tears about missing out on the opportunity to beat GIllingham away. 

10 minutes ago, hodge said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs beat Juve over two legs. They've got the attacking threat to match almost anyone will just come to how well they defend. Beat Real over two legs in their group. 

Nor me. The standard of Italian football have dropped down a bit too.

I can see all 5 English clubs going through.

The 3 obvious ones are both Manchester Clubs & Liverpool. Great draws for them. 

Juventus are still a class side, but there is something about Tottenham in Europe this season, they just seem that little bit more of a threat. Let's be honest, Dybala could easily dribble passed the whole defence and score, but over 2 legs, I fancy them to come away with victory.

Chelsea obviously have the toughest out of the 5. I imagine a similar scenario to that of when Chelsea won the CL when they beat Barcelona in the semi finals. 1-0 win at home and draw other there. Messi is still the best player but not at the level he was a few years ago, no Xavi, Iniesta at the end of his career (albeit i'd still have him in our midfield if given the chance) and despite them having all this cash and not losing many games this season, they still have a terrible defence.

One thing i am ecstatic about. Either Real Madrid or PSG will be eliminated in this round. Lesser of 2 evils, i'm gunning for PSG, on the condition that they get knocked out in the next round. 

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

What the **** happened to Juve's badge? Was so iconic, new one smacks of something a random graphic designer chucked together on photoshop.

It's basically a bath tap. They must be sponsored by a local hardware store these days. Shocking.

Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern and Juve are not as strong as they have been in seasons past.

Barca are without Neymar and have not solved issues at RB and their midfield is aging and do not have the legs they used to. 

Real are in a bit of a transition period with players aging and them struggling to blood some youth. Ronaldo, Benzema, and Bale nowhere near what they were. 

Bayern are similar to Real but have already started bringing in younger players to grow but it took them too long to start and now have to rely on some younger players to step up. 

Juve are aging in defense. Bonucci leaving left a huge void and Chiellini is still class but looking older and Bargzali I am surprised is still going at Juve. Then they have to rely of Rugani who is a good player who can be great but needs the time. Dybala also on a bit of a goal drought. 

Point is, I can see all the English teams going through. However, it isn’t likely(I would not bet on it) but 3 should go through while 4 have a good chance and all 5 could happen. Also, Man City must become favourites at this point with PSG facing Real. Should be a good round. 

Is it me and only me that thinks that Manchester (the one in second obviously) are not quiite all that?

If you look at the Expected Goals thing- translated into points for the PL, Man U 'should' be 4th or 5th right now tbh. There's a site that weights chances and goals and ratios etc.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

There's a bit of Flat Track Bully about this United IMO.

Games v the top 5 let's consider:

• Lost to Man City and rightly so
  • Lost to Chelsea and rightly so
  • Drew with Liverpool, didn't exactly deserve it.
  • Won at Arsenal- but De Gea made enough saves to win 3 games! Still they were decent that day.
  • Beat Tottenham but should certainly have been a draw.

I think Liverpool and Man City are certainties to go through. Chelsea could well go out, and Tottenham may well do too. United should go through but they are not among the European elite IMO.

12 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

no it wouldn't. Juve aren't very good this year

I like a bit of Italian football.

Juve are in a bit of transition I'd say. In fact, this has been an interesting feature of the CL this year- a number of good and dangerous sides declining, in transition or plummeting at once.

• Monaco 2 points, bombed.
  • Benfica- usually 2nd round or quarter final, 0 points 6 games.
  • Dortmund 2 points. Couldn't even beat APOEL home or away- bombed again.
  • Atletico- failure to beat Qarabag home or away did for them. (Qarabag Azerbaijani side).
  • Napoli- suppose they are focusing more on Serie A a bit too but still- losing in Feyenoord when still shot of progress.

To get all 5 of them going out in the Group is fairly nuts. Especially Benfica, Dortmund, Atletico and Napoli! I guess Dortmund and Napoli had hard groups  Imagine the odds at the bookies though if you said none of those 5 would make the last 16!?

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I like a bit of Italian football.

Juve are in a bit of transition I'd say. In fact, this has been an interesting feature of the CL this year- a number of good and dangerous sides declining, in transition or plummeting at once.

• Monaco 2 points, bombed.
  • Benfica- usually 2nd round or quarter final, 0 points 6 games.
  • Dortmund 2 points. Couldn't even beat APOEL home or away- bombed again.
  • Atletico- failure to beat Qarabag home or away did for them. (Qarabag Azerbaijani side).
  • Napoli- suppose they are focusing more on Serie A a bit too but still- losing in Feyenoord when still shot of progress.

To get all 5 of them going out in the Group is fairly nuts. Especially Benfica, Dortmund, Atletico and Napoli! I guess Dortmund and Napoli had hard groups  Imagine the odds at the bookies though if you said none of those 5 would make the last 16!?

Why didn't Dybala start against Inter? I watched the second half and thought they were poor. Inter were good defensively, got what they came for. Love watching Napoli, they attack with blistering pace 

12 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Why didn't Dybala start against Inter? I watched the second half and thought they were poor. Inter were good defensively, got what they came for. Love watching Napoli, they attack with blistering pace 

I likewise enjoy Napoli. Very much so- Juve...on paper they actually have a lot more attacking options than recent years but their manager seems to have a Plan A which was great last year but nothing?

Agree wholly on Dybala. If I was Allegri I would go either Higuain, Dybala and Mandzukic in a 4-3-3 or Dybala, Bernardeschi and Costa in a 4-3-3 in the big games. Both could cause chaos for any defence!

Juve 2nd half (didn't see the game) but quite poor I thought. Inter are the big shock that year tbh, Spalletti transformed them but they very much a work in progress still. Inter got a draw at Napoli too and I saw them win 3-1 at Roma (took in Roma-Inter in August- tbh a draw would have been fairer, Roma did hit woodwork 3 times). On that day? Roma in transition- new coach, changes- plus vs a coach who knew them very well. Inter? Looked rather good in midfield and quick in attack, but poor at the back that day I felt.

Archived