IGNORED

SL - Splashing the Cash?

AshtonPark

Afternoon Guys,

With the great news of the new training ground, which should be great for the team but also the young lads coming through, people able to go and watch the under 23 games much easier and the redone ashton gate, plans for the arena etc. My question is, has Steve Lansdown decided that he needs to spend more of his cash on the team? To get the club where he feels he should be.

For years we seemed to be buying low budget players, while i guess pretending we were a bigger club than we were. You think of some of the dross over the last 10 years since the play off final, now we have the new ground, expensive players, a better backroom layout, a new training ground etc.

Is it a simple case of, if you want to be a bigger club, you have to put more money into it?

I think that SL is being extremely magnanimous to the 15ers by putting everything in place so that we can quickly achieve Category 1 Academy status, enabling them, by 2019 to completely roll flat and mark out a single training pitch at the Colony, install a portaloo, then go get the Category 2 status they've threated to achieve for so long.

14 minutes ago, Spoons said:

He's been splashing the cash for the last 20 years!!! 

Entirely agree. Just as an aside, SL pays more than the rest of us put together. Not saying we should canonise him for it, it is his choice, but it is still very gratefully received.

My own personal observation is that he now seems to be more heavily investing in legacy type stuff, rather than just spending on day to day players. That will be there for decades to come, however we do on the field.

However he still has much to learn about football. How naïve to not listen to the likes of me and persist well beyond the point of reason with that failing young manager last season.

It would be nice if they had quoted the amount of money being invested in this project. Even if to only rub the Sags noses in it and make Wally feel as inadequate as he must do every time he’s not getting the time from his wrist watch. 

It’s a very expensive watch, don’t you know..! 

14 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Agree. To the OP - don’t think we’ve been buying low budget players. But it’s all relevant to our EFL standing. 

The Cotts Promo team was not low budget, but it was small in size. 

11 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Entirely agree. Just as an aside, SL pays more than the rest of us put together. Not saying we should canonise him for it, it is his choice, but it is still very gratefully received.

My own personal observation is that he now seems to be more heavily investing in legacy type stuff, rather than just spending on day to day players. That will be there for decades to come, however we do on the field.

However he still has much to learn about football. How naïve to not listen to the likes of me and persist well beyond the point of common sense with that failing young manager last season.

Everything that SL has talked about for years is finally coming to fruition. 

You can’t just decide “I’m going to make us a big club” and achieve it over night. It takes stages and time, to plan, build, recruit & appoint the right people. Many of these parts of the puzzle are now in place, which allows him to fill in the other pieces. 

We weren’t in a position to recruit £5-10million players before now. Now I don’t think it will be long before we break that figure. We may need to get to the Prem before we can afford it, wage wise, but if SL knows we’ve got the chance to sign a bright young player for £10million, then as long as he can see that he’s got the potential to be worth £20million, then he’ll sanction it. 

I can’t believe that anyone, even the most previously sceptical of people, can’t now see that SL is so incredibly good for our club and we are SO, SO lucky to have him. 

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that there can’t be very many clubs in this country, at any level, who aren’t a little bit envious of the owner that we have! 

49 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Afternoon Guys,

With the great news of the new training ground, which should be great for the team but also the young lads coming through, people able to go and watch the under 23 games much easier and the redone ashton gate, plans for the arena etc. My question is, has Steve Lansdown decided that he needs to spend more of his cash on the team? To get the club where he feels he should be.

For years we seemed to be buying low budget players, while i guess pretending we were a bigger club than we were. You think of some of the dross over the last 10 years since the play off final, now we have the new ground, expensive players, a better backroom layout, a new training ground etc.

Is it a simple case of, if you want to be a bigger club, you have to put more money into it?

We are restricted to how much SL can pump into first team spending, therefore he's gone about doing everything possible to help the club improve its financial position. The two key areas to that are the stadium for non match day revenue plus increased ticket sales and the level of the academy so that we can produce players that will bring in money through sales, we've got the stadium and now it seems comes the academy improvements. This will reduce the clubs reliance on SL in coming years and make us more sustainable which is Lansdown's ultimate aim (along with PL football). 

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree. To the OP - don’t think we’ve been buying low budget players. But it’s all relevant to our EFL standing. 

The Cotts Promo team was not low budget, but it was small in size. 

I love you as a poster Dave, but if you ever use EFL again, I swear to god I’ll block you. 

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

We are restricted to how much SL can pump into first team spending, therefore he's gone about doing everything possible to help the club improve its financial position. The two key areas to that are the stadium for non match day revenue plus increased ticket sales and the level of the academy so that we can produce players that will bring in money through sales, we've got the stadium and now it seems comes the academy improvements. This will reduce the clubs reliance on SL in coming years and make us more sustainable which is Lansdown's ultimate aim (along with PL football). 

As an aside...

I think this is exactly right. In which case, I think that's the financial fair play rules having their desired effect. 

Feels weird writing this but, um, fair play FIFA/ the FA. 

54 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Not disagreeing, but spending say £2.5milllion on Maynard for example seems extremely small fry to the great work that is happening now. 

Guys this wasn’t a post knocking SL, but more the mindset etc. Surely the money spent over the last say 3 years on everything, the ground, the training facilities, the players etc must be huge compared to previous years. (Even if you take the stadium away) 

4 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Not disagreeing, but spending say £2.5milllion on Maynard for example seems extremely small fry to the great work that is happening now. 

But that was, what, nearly 10 years ago? Big money back then, I wonder how much it would equate to now after the ridiculous transfer inflation is factored in? 

This was in the evil post 4 days ago.

It also hopes to use the site next to Ashton Gate for badminton, boxing and live entertainment events, a Bristol City Council document shows.

In addition, company owner, Steve Lansdown, wants to build a triple-court basketball hall next to the proposed arena and a new 3G pitch training ground at Ashton Vale.

So what’s this about redeveloping Failand?

2 training grounds?

15 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

But that was, what, nearly 10 years ago? Big money back then, I wonder how much it would equate to now after the ridiculous transfer inflation is factored in? 

I honestly don't think it would be a huge difference to what it is now, the big money change has been in league transfers in the championship and those going up to the prem rather than those moving league 1 to the championship. I think at most you're talking £3.5m-£4m for someone who scored what NM did for Crewe at his age. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby kellard hero said:

It also hopes to use the site for badminton, boxing and live entertainment events, a Bristol City Council document shows.

In addition, company owner, Steve Lansdown, wants to build a triple-court basketball hall next to the proposed arena and a new 3G pitch training ground at Ashton Vale.

2 training grounds?

Or just them being wrong.... shocker

13 minutes ago, hodge said:

I honestly don't think it would be a huge difference to what it is now, the big money change has been in league transfers in the championship and those going up to the prem rather than those moving league 1 to the championship. I think at most you're talking £3.5m-£4m for someone who scored what NM did for Crewe at his age. 

Today 2007 2.5 million would be worth 3.2 million and that's before you factor in how the transfer market has gone crazy. 

I reckon it would be comparable to the 5 million spent on Fammy.

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

It would be nice if they had quoted the amount of money being invested in this project. Even if to only rub the Sags noses in it and make Wally feel as inadequate as he must do every time he’s not getting the time from his wrist watch. 

Would be nice for it to be announced in pounds and in Tilsons, just to hammer the point home.

2 hours ago, Bobby kellard hero said:

It also hopes to use the site next to Ashton Gate for badminton, boxing and live entertainment events, a Bristol City Council document shows.

2 training grounds?

Ashton Vale is obviously going to be a dog training ground.

3 hours ago, Bobby kellard hero said:

2 training grounds?

Bristol City Ladies & other things?, also maybe long term plan for a new stadium in the future, gian  planning for the first mentioned & long term gofor a bigger goal ?

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Everything that SL has talked about for years is finally coming to fruition. 

You can’t just decide “I’m going to make us a big club” and achieve it over night. It takes stages and time, to plan, build, recruit & appoint the right people. Many of these parts of the puzzle are now in place, which allows him to fill in the other pieces. 

We weren’t in a position to recruit £5-10million players before now. Now I don’t think it will be long before we break that figure. We may need to get to the Prem before we can afford it, wage wise, but if SL knows we’ve got the chance to sign a bright young player for £10million, then as long as he can see that he’s got the potential to be worth £20million, then he’ll sanction it. 

I can’t believe that anyone, even the most previously sceptical of people, can’t now see that SL is so incredibly good for our club and we are SO, SO lucky to have him. 

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that there can’t be very many clubs in this country, at any level, who aren’t a little bit envious of the owner that we have! 

yeah, I'd go along with that

AG now has the biggest conference facilities in the south west, this mustn't be overlooked, it brings in massive revenue's and keeps the name being used and associated with business more and more. It is being used for many xmas parties. I am 19 miles south of Bristol but a lot of my customers have been/are going to xmas parties at the gate. Very few businesses survive on 1 income stream, my pub for eg has food, skittles , darts, meetings etc that all bring in different trades but generate ££££ and this is what AG and Bristol Sport is all about with the most important part of Bristol Sport being the Football Club. 

11 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I will have a stab at 22.5 million; I am sure it will come out as an announcement by Bristol Sport in the fullness of time.

11 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I love you as a poster Dave, but if you ever use EFL again, I swear to god I’ll block you. 

On that topic I will always, always, shake my head in disbelief how the cronies at the top were brushed aside or convinced, easily, by some brainless media company to drop 120 years of history. There was, past tense, only one football league in the world that was called The Football League. There was only one that could because it was the first. They trashed it and they burnt it and they are now just like any other football league that place their country name in front. What a bunch of amoeba brained morons.

Can you imagine The Royal and Ancient doing a re-branding of The Open ? No, neither can I. 

2 hours ago, grubby said:

AG now has the biggest conference facilities in the south west, this mustn't be overlooked, it brings in massive revenue's and keeps the name being used and associated with business more and more. It is being used for many xmas parties. I am 19 miles south of Bristol but a lot of my customers have been/are going to xmas parties at the gate. Very few businesses survive on 1 income stream, my pub for eg has food, skittles , darts, meetings etc that all bring in different trades but generate ££££ and this is what AG and Bristol Sport is all about with the most important part of Bristol Sport being the Football Club. 

Do you show live BCFC games of a Saturday and have a decent Chef? I am coming on down :)  Do we need to book?

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

will he splash the cash? you mean more then the 20 odd million he's spent on players in the last and this season?

Thats exactly what i was trying to say, the past 2 or so seasons, prior to the previous 18 etc have seen a dramatic shift in how SL is going about things.

Archived