Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

bcfcredandwhite

Warnock- genius or pariah?

Recommended Posts

He's a good manager no one can deny that, but he is a drama queen, but he buys into that and uses that to his advantage. But he's the type of manager you hate to manage another club but would love to have him manage your own. His whole career has been successful and at this level he's up there with the best, no one will deny that. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genius man-manager. Alex Ferguson level in terms of instilling belief in his players, although obviously a far inferior manager all things considered. But I think you could give him any team in the football league 72 and he would overachieve with them, regardless of budget - how many managers could we really say that for?

Edited by Distortia
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Distortia said:

Genius man-manager. Alex Ferguson level in terms of instilling belief in his players, although obviously a far inferior manager all things considered. But I think you could give him any team in the football league 72 and he would overachieve with them, regardless of budget - how many managers could we really say that for?

LJ is overachieving with/for us.  Didnt you listen to the sky commentary and pundits on Friday. I think it might be the only thing i heard mentioned more than ‘Sheffield Utd have hit the woodwork 4 times’!! :grr:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

LJ is overachieving with/for us.  Didnt you listen to the sky commentary and pundits on Friday. I think it might be the only thing i heard mentioned more than ‘Sheffield Utd have hit the woodwork 4 times’!! :grr:

Yeah, for sure he is, in my opinion at least. But I just mean that Warnock's track record of improving sides is second to none at this level.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warnock knows this division inside out and knows how to get results, doesn't stop him being a Colin. People complain about Mourinho and anti football, if anything I feel Warnock is worse, all his timewasting and getting players to feign injuries and diving make him far worse. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no doubting his credentials at this level. He gets the best out of his players.

Unfortunately it tends to be at the expense of everything else, football Included.

He's very adept at deflecting criticism away from his players and putting pressure on referees.

For us he always trots out the "Steve has given Lee loads of backing as if to say any monkey could run a team with loads of backing.

Or the lovely old patronising chestnut "Well he's got a lot to learn from his father, hasn't he"

It' fair to say I am not a fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Find out how many days a week Warnock spends with the first team. Not including match day.

Then look into Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepsom and you'll find your answer as to why they work as a team.

Warnock is just a figure head to a team of three. For media purposes these days. Back in the day...another story.

Blackwell and Jepsom do all the work.

Warnock spends more time with his missus during the week lunching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colin is a very good manager and during our bad run last season I would have crawled through broken glass to get him here. He would steadied the ship but so glad our owners stood by their decision, shows I don't know very much about football management.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genius. We would have tasted the Premier League by now if he had been the manager at some stage. Not sure we would have stayed in it very long though! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, nickolas said:

LJ is overachieving with/for us.  Didnt you listen to the sky commentary and pundits on Friday. I think it might be the only thing i heard mentioned more than ‘Sheffield Utd have hit the woodwork 4 times’!! :grr:

What do you expect from Sky ?

Its up there with Fox News 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so many ifs. SL could not have done better in the past 2 years than find the coaching team he now has. Not sure why people raving about a Baardiff side we just beat, where Lj clearly outwitted CW and the feeling among our fans is far more positive than at theat dying club across the river.

SL didnt want him and rightly preferred Cotts. Sure he would still not want CW if LJ is poached to Burnley or Bomo to try his luck in EPL (he may get it by staying with us anyway!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Packman said:

He’s a f#%*#%g arrogant cheating horrible w*^*#r. Wouldn’t want him anywhere near our club. 

Nothing like sitting on the fence :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’ll nail my colours to the mast; I like him. He is passionate and a character - Football is better with him in the game. 

I cant wait for his rants on TV when he loses - and his panto antics. 

Behind the comedy though is a very good championship manager who gets inferior players to believe in themselves. 

Cardiff - looking beyond the local rivalry - fight to the end - that’s why they got a point today, which will feel like 3 given the circumstances - and that’s Warnock for you. 

I think he once said he wanted to manage us (?) I may be wrong. 

Its always special when NW comes to town 

I accept I’m probably in the minority here but I like and respect the guy. 

 

Cue the flak!!!!!!!

I don't deny he gets results.

To me he's like the mate you've got who every time you go out acts like a dick and trys to kick off or something. 

To you and your circle, he's alright and actually a really good bloke once you get to know him. To everyone else who sporadically comes into contact with him, he's just a tool.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I don't deny he gets results.

To me he's like the mate you've got who every time you go out acts like a dick and trys to kick off or something. 

To you and your circle, he's alright and actually a really good bloke once you get to know him. To everyone else who sporadically comes into contact with him, he's just a tool.

Great analogy. We've all got a mate like that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, spudski said:

Find out how many days a week Warnock spends with the first team. Not including match day.

Then look into Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepsom and you'll find your answer as to why they work as a team.

Warnock is just a figure head to a team of three. For media purposes these days. Back in the day...another story.

Blackwell and Jepsom do all the work.

Warnock spends more time with his missus during the week lunching.

Would that the same Mrs who almost died last year ?  Cheap shot.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spudski said:

Find out how many days a week Warnock spends with the first team. Not including match day.

Then look into Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepsom and you'll find your answer as to why they work as a team.

Warnock is just a figure head to a team of three. For media purposes these days. Back in the day...another story.

Blackwell and Jepsom do all the work.

Warnock spends more time with his missus during the week lunching.

I believe that his wife is far from in the best of health. If that is the case then I would be doing exactly the same thing.

I am not a fan of his anti-football time wasting and cynical tactics - far from it, nevertheless it is effective and he does appear to create a siege mentality in his teams.

We are almost at Christmas and they are still second with a group of players that have no right , on paper, to be there.

Would I want him here? No, but you cannot take away what he is able to do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’ll nail my colours to the mast; I like him. He is passionate and a character - Football is better with him in the game. 

I cant wait for his rants on TV when he loses - and his panto antics. 

Behind the comedy though is a very good championship manager who gets inferior players to believe in themselves. 

Cardiff - looking beyond the local rivalry - fight to the end - that’s why they got a point today, which will feel like 3 given the circumstances - and that’s Warnock for you. 

I think he once said he wanted to manage us (?) I may be wrong. 

Its always special when NW comes to town 

I accept I’m probably in the minority here but I like and respect the guy. 

 

Cue the flak!!!!!!!

No flak from me because I agree with you 100%.  He did once say he would love to manage us because we are a "proper" football club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, palmerred said:

He's a good manager no one can deny that, but he is a drama queen, but he buys into that and uses that to his advantage. But he's the type of manager you hate to manage another club but would love to have him manage your own. His whole career has been successful and at this level he's up there with the best, no one will deny that. 

Couldn't disagree more. I'd hate to see him manage us and have to watch his anti-football every week.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spudski said:

Find out how many days a week Warnock spends with the first team. Not including match day.

Then look into Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepsom and you'll find your answer as to why they work as a team.

Warnock is just a figure head to a team of three. For media purposes these days. Back in the day...another story.

Blackwell and Jepsom do all the work.

Warnock spends more time with his missus during the week lunching.

Appreciate you don't like Neil Warnock Spud , but are you suggesting that his successes at a number of clubs was also down to his various assistants or is his work at Cardiff , where you suggest he spends limited time mere coincidence

Are you seriously suggesting their current success is not down to him , as he's merely a 'figure head' ?

As for his wife , she has , and is , battling breast cancer so I don't blame him for spending time with her if and when he can

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All he's capable of is creating a siege mentality and playing an awful niggling fouling time-wasting cheating long ball style. He has no integrity whatsoever and lies through his teeth every time he speaks. He should have been drummed out of the game after the battle of Bramall Lane and would not have been missed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spudski said:

Find out how many days a week Warnock spends with the first team. Not including match day.

Then look into Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepsom and you'll find your answer as to why they work as a team.

Warnock is just a figure head to a team of three. For media purposes these days. Back in the day...another story.

Blackwell and Jepsom do all the work.

Warnock spends more time with his missus during the week lunching.

Some things are more important than football.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be tempted to have him in the England set-up as a motivational / psychology coach on the one condition condition that he wasn't allowed to influence the style of football.

His record shows he is a great man manager and gets the best out of players.  Yes, he is a bit of a pantomime villain and seems to enjoy the role but I quite like him and he genuinely seems to have a soft spot for us. Obviously that disappears on match days and after a defeat. Football would be more boring without these type of characters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's always been a divisive character, something of a marmite man.

Personally I have mixed feelings. I certainly hate the way he sends his team out to feign injury, disrupt play and time waste but some of his post match rants I find very amusing.

No doubt tho that he's a smart cookie. Very experienced knows how to get the most out of his players and as already pointed out I'd have welcomed him to AG with open arms had Lansdown sacked LJ last season during the dismal run of defeats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Appreciate you don't like Neil Warnock Spud , but are you suggesting that his successes at a number of clubs was also down to his various assistants or is his work at Cardiff , where you suggest he spends limited time mere coincidence

Are you seriously suggesting their current success is not down to him , as he's merely a 'figure head' ?

As for his wife , she has , and is , battling breast cancer so I don't blame him for spending time with her if and when he can

I've got nothing against Warnock as a person BBSB.... I don't like his style of playing football, as I don't think it has long term benefits for any club.

My reference to his abilities as a coach are also not just pointed at his time at Cardiff.

His assistants over the years, not just Cardiff,  have done all the coaching.

It's well known he spends very little time compared to other managers and coaches with the players during the week.

The reference to spending time with his wife, isn't a dig, I know she's been ill...but he's done this for years, way before she wasn't well, so it's not a recent thing.

His 'difference' comes on match day, before and during the game. He is very motivational and intimidating at the same time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’ll nail my colours to the mast; I like him. He is passionate and a character - Football is better with him in the game. 

I cant wait for his rants on TV when he loses - and his panto antics. 

Behind the comedy though is a very good championship manager who gets inferior players to believe in themselves. 

Cardiff - looking beyond the local rivalry - fight to the end - that’s why they got a point today, which will feel like 3 given the circumstances - and that’s Warnock for you. 

I think he once said he wanted to manage us (?) I may be wrong. 

Its always special when NW comes to town 

I accept I’m probably in the minority here but I like and respect the guy. 

 

Cue the flak!!!!!!!

I'm a Warnock fan. wanted him here instead of LJ and still stand by that he would have had us top 6 last season. Having said that LJ had surpassed my expectations this season and respect to him for coming back from the brink

Edited by tinman85
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've got nothing against Warnock as a person BBSB.... I don't like his style of playing football, as I don't think it has long term benefits for any club.

My reference to his abilities as a coach are also not just pointed at his time at Cardiff.

His assistants over the years, not just Cardiff,  have done all the coaching.

It's well known he spends very little time compared to other managers and coaches with the players during the week.

The reference to spending time with his wife, isn't a dig, I know she's been ill...but he's done this for years, way before she wasn't well, so it's not a recent thing.

His 'difference' comes on match day, before and during the game. He is very motivational and intimidating at the same time.

 

Not so sure about that mate

If anywhere near true - then he's (consistently) picked some bloody good assistants / coaches !

;):laughcont:

Most promoted manager

Prefer to watch the football we are playing , but boy is Warnock effective , and very underrated tactically

Edited by BobBobSuperBob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not so sure about that mate

If anywhere near true - then he's (consistently) picked some bloody good assistants / coaches !

;):laughcont:

Most promoted manager

Prefer to watch the football we are playing , but boy is Warnock effective , and very underrated tactically

Blackwell's connection with Warnock goes right back to the mid 80's...and he's followed him pretty much ever since.

Jepson has also been close to Warnock since his Huddersfield days in the 90's.

His 'tactics' are anti football.

His teams have the ball in play statistically the least amount of time. On purpose. He does everything he can to waste time and play the percentages.

He gets players to cheat, get in the refs and officials faces, waste time, play the channels and get the ball in the box and shoot on sight.

It's very 'anti football' and imo, not good for the game.

If every team played Warnock's way...fans would leave in their droves.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Packman said:

He’s a f#%*#%g arrogant cheating horrible w*^*#r. Wouldn’t want him anywhere near our club. 

Funnily enough, there are some people who are STILL saying that type of thing about our own Lee J. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, spudski said:

Blackwell's connection with Warnock goes right back to the mid 80's...and he's followed him pretty much ever since.

Jepson has also been close to Warnock since his Huddersfield days in the 90's.

His 'tactics' are anti football.

His teams have the ball in play statistically the least amount of time. On purpose. He does everything he can to waste time and play the percentages.

He gets players to cheat, get in the refs and officials faces, waste time, play the channels and get the ball in the box and shoot on sight.

It's very 'anti football' and imo, not good for the game.

If every team played Warnock's way...fans would leave in their droves.

 

Get the impression you don't like him Spud !

In theory in an ideal world all football would be sublime and we all love to see such football and most of us have been grilled with some of the football played under Cotts and more recently LJ , two different styles and methods of play but both good to watch

Not a fan of some of Warnock tactics but he's damned effective and if every side tried to play the same way football , and without characters of whatever type, would actually become totally sterile and eventually boring

I thought you were against all things sterile ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, spudski said:

Blackwell's connection with Warnock goes right back to the mid 80's...and he's followed him pretty much ever since.

Jepson has also been close to Warnock since his Huddersfield days in the 90's.

His 'tactics' are anti football.

His teams have the ball in play statistically the least amount of time. On purpose. He does everything he can to waste time and play the percentages.

He gets players to cheat, get in the refs and officials faces, waste time, play the channels and get the ball in the box and shoot on sight.

It's very 'anti football' and imo, not good for the game.

If every team played Warnock's way...fans would leave in their droves.

 

Agree, he is a spoiler, and I hope he doesn't get what he doesn't deserve with promotion, especially with that lot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Get the impression you don't like him Spud !

In theory in an ideal world all football would be sublime and we all love to see such football and most of us have been grilled with some of the football played under Cotts and more recently LJ , two different styles and methods of play but both good to watch

Not a fan of some of Warnock tactics but he's damned effective and if every side tried to play the same way football , and without characters of whatever type, would actually become totally sterile and eventually boring

I thought you were against all things sterile ;)

 

Like I said in my previous post BBSB...I have nothing against Warnock the person.

I just don't agree with his style of playing football and how he goes about it.

I see it as no different to trying to cheat the ref by taking a dive...which I know from someone who's worked with him, he encourages. In saying that...many do these days.

Yes...he's the pantomime villain...and it does add colour to football.

However...I'd want him no where near this Club or wish him on any other.

I feel for any young player wanting to break through at Cardiff...good luck with that under Warnock.

My GF's family are all Cardiff supporters...they all like him. You can imagine the banter....you just know we're both going to the play off finals...it's written :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like him. He revels in being the pantomime villain and is very effective at being vocal on the touchline. He also seems really good at motivating players. I've never met him but I've heard that he's a decent enough bloke when he's away from his manager's persona. 

I wouldn't want him at City, though. I don't like the way his teams play football, setting out to stifle games. Maybe effective as a short term fix in a crisis (e.g. a relegation fight) but not building a solid base for the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

COLIN  has deservedly made a name for himself in football management...

.....nobody in World sport does anagrams better!  :) 

( unless anyone knows better? )  

Well if you rearrange "Bristol Rovers" enough you get "Bristol Rovers"....how embarrassing is that??

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Great analogy. We've all got a mate like that!

I haven't.... wait...does that make me that mate?!? :crying:

As for Warnock, bollocks to promotion.  I'd rather spend years pootling around the Championship trying to play the right way than spending a few years suffering his brand of "football" just to reach the "promised land".  Ask West Brom fans and they'd say the same thing after enduring Penis for the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, spudski said:

Like I said in my previous post...I have nothing against Warnock the person.

Yes...he's the pantomime villain...and it does add colour to football.

My GF's family are all Cardiff supporters...they all like him. You can imagine the banter....you just know we're both going to the play off finals...it's written :laugh:

Here's hoping, but can you imagine the carnage on the M4?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually prefer managers with different styles of football. Lets be honest Pep is the best around but if we had 92 managers like him it would be pretty boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant stand him.. is he a good manager? yes

would I want the crook anywhere near our club with his playing style? no 

Some will say it's effective which it is.. but imagine watching that everyone as the stats above show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 054123 said:

I don't deny he gets results.

To me he's like the mate you've got who every time you go out acts like a dick and trys to kick off or something. 

To you and your circle, he's alright and actually a really good bloke once you get to know him. To everyone else who sporadically comes into contact with him, he's just a tool.

Given none of my mates seem to be like that, I am now worried it's me....

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Agree, he is a spoiler, and I hope he doesn't get what he doesn't deserve with promotion, especially with that lot. 

Nor me, but sadly, I would not bet against it currently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Living in Cornwall have seen him a few times, always has time to stop and talk football. Only saw him a few weeks ago and he was VERY complementary on how we are playing and the style of our football.  he is a very nice person away from football, and always willing to give his time to talk.  Can't say that I am enamored by his style of play, but can only say as I found him. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never liked Warnock, can't stand his style of football, if every team played in a Warnock style, I doubt I would watch much football. I know some people will say it's all about the result but for me, while I want us to win it's about how we play as well, so the style of football and in the correct spirit is important for me.


If anyone incident epitomises Warnock it's was when Sheffield United played West Brom, and the game was abandoned, it was known as the Battle of Bramall Lane.


Like many have said I understand he is a nice chap away from football. However, I never want him down the gate unless he is the opposing manager when a win is all the sweeter.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Colin is a very good manager and during our bad run last season I would have crawled through broken glass to get him here. He would steadied the ship but so glad our owners stood by their decision, shows I don't know very much about football management.

Totally agree a right wind up merchant but a great manager has had success with every club. the blokes took on crap sides like Rotherham plymouth Notts county in lower leagues an look what hes done at Cardiff who were dropping like a stone not a nice bloke maybe but quality manager

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ben91tucker said:

Don't like him but he' doing something right to be up there with these stats

IMG_20171212_002056.jpg

It isn't despite these stats, it is because of those stats.

Anti football (and he is a****).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't see much wrong wit the way they played second half last night, really should have won the game in the end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×