IGNORED

Yes another thread about Cotts (Merged)

You Do The Dziekanowski

Birmingham's plight only emphasis the ludicrous decision making by the owner/chief executive a year ago.

Staggering to think that our owner resisted the temptation, and pressure from fans, to get rid of LJ when we were losing games on the trot and dropping down the table like a stone, at exactly the same time that Birmingham decided to get rid of the manager that had got them to 7th in the table and right in contention for the pay offs - a decision almost certainly at odds with the thoughts and wishes of just about every Birmingham fan.

Only one owner's decision and judgement is now being vindicated.

Another example to prove how lucky we are to to have SL here.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

When a player or a manager leave City then that's it as far as I'm concerned. They're no longer involved so hold no interest for me.

im surprised that more posters don't have the same view.

The probable exception would be Joe Bryan. If/when he moves on I will follow how he's doing at wherever he might be simply because he's Bristolian.

why click on the thread then? troll.

fwiw Cotts gave us the best season we’ve had in recent memory and some of the happiest times as a City fan. for that I’ll keep a keen eye on wherever he goes from here and wish him the best

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Birmingham's plight only emphasis the ludicrous decision making by the owner/chief executive a year ago.

Staggering to think that our owner resisted the temptation, and pressure from fans, to get rid of LJ when we were losing games on the trot and dropping down the table like a stone, at exactly the same time that Birmingham decided to get rid of the manager that had got them to 7th in the table and right in contention for the pay offs - a decision almost certainly at odds with the thoughts and wishes of just about every Birmingham fan.

Only one owner's decision and judgement is now being vindicated.

Another example to prove how lucky we are to to have SL here.

They got rid of Rowett in part because they wanted a 'big name'. Much as many of our fans did last season.

The lesson perhaps is that you need the right man not the most famous one.

10 minutes ago, chinapig said:

They got rid of Rowett in part because they wanted a 'big name'. Much as many of our fans did last season.

The lesson perhaps is that you need the right man not the most famous one.

They didn’t trust Rowett to use the money they’d got from investors wisely.

How wrong did they get it!

17 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He is struggling there like he did here in this league - no longer up to it at this level. No surprise. Did amazing for us in League 1 but it was correct decision to get rid.

Exactly.

Very capable lower league manager. Out of his depth in the Championship.

I must be in the minority here then and didn't want Cotts to go at the time and feel if he had the backing LJ has had then he too would have had greater success in the Championship.

Regardless, he still gave me the best season I have ever had as a City fan and I will never forget what he achieved. 

He is a City legend for me.

11 minutes ago, One Team said:

I must be in the minority here then and didn't want Cotts to go at the time and feel if he had the backing LJ has had then he too would have had greater success in the Championship.

Regardless, he still gave me the best season I have ever had as a City fan and I will never forget what he achieved. 

He is a City legend for me.

Cotterill was sacked because he didn't adhere to the strategy of developing young players from the academy or from signings from other clubs.

He went to SL for money to buy Andre Grey or Dwight Gale saying that he'd got all that he could from the existing squad. Lansdown wouldn't have it and decided to bring in a manager who would buy into the strategy - and in came LJ  who has adhered to the strategy and that's a huge factor in why SL backed him last season.

12 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Steve Cotterill

Having a tough time at Brum but have to say he’s learnt a thing or two about talking to fans since his exit from us... :fear:

Fair play to him though takes some balls to talk to angry supporters after a dreadful display 

Fair play to Lucas Jutkiewiecz in that. Speaks really well and has the balls to speak to the angry fans and really talk them through what's gone on with the game calmly and with a great deal of honesty. I don't hang around after games to speak to players so don't know if our players would do the same but would be good to think they do (I'm sure some of them do) or have done when the merde was hitting the vent axia! 

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Cotterill was sacked because he didn't adhere to the strategy of developing young players from the academy or from signings from other clubs.

He went to SL for money to buy Andre Grey or Dwight Gale saying that he'd got all that he could from the existing squad. Lansdown wouldn't have it and decided to bring in a manager who would buy into the strategy - and in came LJ  who has adhered to the strategy and that's a huge factor in why SL backed him last season.

You are right on the strategy, Cotts didn't show much interest in that. However, SL was prepared to stump up the money but the players concerned were never likely to sign for us.

The likes of Brownhill, O'Dowda and Paterson would not have interested him, he wanted the finished article.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You know all that as fact or it is your opinion?

I can believe what you have said mind you but doesn't change my view. 

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

You are right on the strategy, Cotts didn't show much interest in that. However, SL was prepared to stump up the money but the players concerned were never likely to sign for us.

The likes of Brownhill, O'Dowda and Paterson would not have interested him, he wanted the finished article.

Exactly.

Whether it was Cotterill wanting money for an established striker or his failure to adopt the youngster strategy that pissed SL off the most, we'll never know.

Probably a combination of the two..

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Exactly.

Whether it was Cotterill wanting money for an established striker or his failure to adopt the youngster strategy that pissed SL off the most, we'll never know.

Probably a combination of the two..

The reality is he was sacked for a number of reasons not least the fact that had he not gone we were going to be back in Div 1 PDQ!

I don't think SL spent all that cash on Ashton Gate to have the best stadium in the third tier!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Possibly because LJ didn't have a track record to speak of. 

City are only his third club as manager.

How many has Cotterill had?

But Cotterill's track record was much better.

Almost every City fan on here had got to a point where they wanted Johnson out. I bet there isn't one now.

Cotts wanted backing in league 1 and got it bringing us one of the best most enjoyable seasons I can remember. We had terrific momentum and he wanted to carry that on in the Championship adopting the same strategy that had us dominating the season before.

IMO if he had got the signings he wanted we would of had a good season, there were signs especially the first 10 or so games that we had stepped up fine but were missing 1 or 2 quality additions.

The policy of bringing through younger players is brilliant, but to back Cotts one season then effectively tell him to change policy  the next seemed a waste of the feel good factor that was around then. 

On 12/12/2017 at 08:26, Super said:

I don't think he is good enough at this level sadly.

I’ve genuinely never really understood this as a comment about managers. 

A player can clearly have a level of talent that can be successful at one level, but not at a higher level. However, if a manager can be successful in League One, then why not in the Championship?  I’d have thought it depends on his access to players of a certain standard. Unless we feel that the second tier has a sophisticated level of strategy that is not present in the third. I doubt that.

So why should a successful Tier 3 manager fail in Tier 2, provided the squad is good enough? Surely if he can create success with a decent squad at one level, he should be able to do it at another. 

He failed with us in the Championship - though he wasn’t given long. Perhaps he placed too much trust in either the squad or the tactics that had brought promotion. However, that seems to be working at Sheff Utd.

Archived