IGNORED

Leko

BCFC Rich

Been thinking about his performances etc. and I've come to the conclusion maybe he needs to start a game.

Two things I think most of us would agree on. 1. Leko has bags of talent and more than enough technical ability to be a success at this level - In fact with the tricks he has he could be sensational. 2. The flip side of that. He wasn't working hard enough early in the season and he seems to make poor decisions - tries his tricks too often and sometimes plays us into trouble. 

However, since he came here he has mostly been limited to cameo appearances late in games. He is a young lad who will have come to us hoping to play regularly (maybe even expecting too). I think by coming on late he will feel he needs to make an impression and show what he can do to force his way into contention for a starting place. If he comes on + makes a few sensible passes etc. he might not make mistakes but it's hard for him to impress. I'd argue that he should be given a start and told explicitly to think about the team, remember to track back and don't be afraid to take the simple option sometimes. He has definitely improved on tracking back from early season and could be a huge asset if he comes good - I think he might actually stand more chance of doing that if he started.

4 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Been thinking about his performances etc. and I've come to the conclusion maybe he needs to start a game.

Two things I think most of us would agree on. 1. Leko has bags of talent and more than enough technical ability to be a success at this level - In fact with the tricks he has he could be sensational. 2. The flip side of that. He wasn't working hard enough early in the season and he seems to make poor decisions - tries his tricks too often and sometimes plays us into trouble. 

However, since he came here he has mostly been limited to cameo appearances late in games. He is a young lad who will have come to us hoping to play regularly (maybe even expecting too). I think by coming on late he will feel he needs to make an impression and show what he can do to force his way into contention for a starting place. If he comes on + makes a few sensible passes etc. he might not make mistakes but it's hard for him to impress. I'd argue that he should be given a start and told explicitly to think about the team, remember to track back and don't be afraid to take the simple option sometimes. He has definitely improved on tracking back from early season and could be a huge asset if he comes good - I think he might actually stand more chance of doing that if he started.

I think he’ll be used a bit more in the second half of the season and could prove vital as on his day I think he has the potential to be a match winner.

He said in a recent interview that he's still learning a lot while not in the side, I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature more after christmas, LJ has had a few months to work with him and get him more adept to our style. I think if we were mid table he'd have played a lot more but given our position LJ is sticking with the ones getting results, perhaps some fear that change in personal could see a change in results.

2 minutes ago, cityred exile said:

I seen his only start at Norwich , pulled off at half time ,  Just may have been the wrong match for him  narrow pitch  and well marked ,   But yes I would like to think he will be given another go  Maybe Watford away    he wont be FACUP tied !

He started against Derby and looked decent.

Don't get me wrong I'm definitely not a fanboy. In fact, I'd say he's contributed very little so far but he has undoubted potential is probably actually costing us a fair bit and could definitely be doing more. 

I just thought that maybe only being given a run out at the end of games is leading him to try and show off rather than relax and play. No doubt he could have cost us in the Sheffield game, but again it was the end of the game he came on for. He last started a game back in September maybe with all the injuries we have its worth risking him at the start of a match. Or as @City Exile suggests Watford in the cup could be a good shout. 

Every time we bring him on, it’s like going down to ten men. Granted, the occasional 15 seconds of wizardry - followed by being too slow, out of position defensively and no idea what he should be doing. IMO, not a good fit for us. We are a team of workers that are joined in tactical awareness as our strength. It is obvious that Leko is very much an individual who has shown little signs of development as yet. 

As for a starting berth.....please LJ, no! 

1 hour ago, cityred exile said:

I seen his only start at Norwich , pulled off at half time ,  Just may have been the wrong match for him  narrow pitch  and well marked ,   But yes I would like to think he will be given another go  Maybe Watford away    he wont be FACUP tied !

Probably why he was substituted.

Undoubtably has the talent. I wouldn't say he doesn't work hard, feel that's a bit of a harsh criticism. 

When he's lost the ball the last couple of games he's chased back and tried to win it again. 

Just his decision making isn't quite there, honestly believe he's like a young Bolasie. 

A young lad learning his trade, some of the negative comments on this thread could have been, and were, levelled at our other young players when they first arrived.

If some people haven't learned yet that it takes time to get some of these youngsters up to speed, it's a bit of a surprise considering this years development.

46 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

no i don't think he's good enough for the first team, he's a bit of a headless chicken all pace no end product,

He's better coming on against tired legs, he isn't good enough to get in front of Brownhill Bryan and pato for the wide midfield birth

We gave O'Dowda a chance, so why not Leko?

He is 3 months younger than Freddie Hinds, 6 months younger than Lloyd Kelly and over 2 years younger than Shawn McCoulskey to put it into perspective. 

I know he is frustrating at times and is only here on a loan but he has ability no one else in the teams has. We have seen his ability benefit us a few times. I agree with those that say he is better off the bench. I feel the work rate and where to be defensively is still being worked on and personally I think his last few appearances have shown that. 

I think he could start from time to time especially during this holiday period. Think he is better wide right in a front 3 where he has a bit more cover. Think he will come good for us during the second half of the season. LJ and co are very good at developing players and I think we will see that with every time we see him play. I know he is not the best decision maker but that is why he is on loan. That only gets better with more minutes and different situations. He has always been able to beat players with his agility and strength. He still can but the risk is greater in senior football and he needs to learn when to try it and when to be safe. I am a big fan and he is one I would hope we pursue if we go up. 

10 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Not for me. He doesn't work hard enough at all. Again nearly cost us in last two games when coming on and don't get me started on Fulham away. Was like having 10 men. Undoubtedly has talent but needs to work harder. One decent game v Derby.  

And away at Wolves.....though he really was terrible against Fulham

10 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

I think there is a big case for him to start against Forest, with him being cup tied for next Wednesday!! As much as I don't like the idea of doing it, we're gunna have to start switching things up game to game this month, otherwise the boys are gunna be f*cked... our bench for united is not going to have a lot on it! 

I think Johnson this year has been very good at utilising his squad and making changes when they suit.. I trust him to get it right.. but even if he does get it right.. I fear for us this month... especially the genes after the United one (QPR, READING, WOLVES) 

Having a turn of pace and feet like lightening and an ability to beat your man is fantastic...but if you haven't got a football brain, it's pointless.

It's a bit like those people that can keep a football up forever, with fantastic tricks...but does that make them good footballers?

I haven't seen one positive in him as a footballer yet.

Some fans seem to think that  having what I highlighted in my first sentence is 'exciting'. It's purely physical.

What you want at 17/18 yo, is players that already have good brains and understand football.

Imo...he's been one of those lucky kids that some scout has seen his physical attributes and ignored the rest. He's lucked out imo.

So many talented footballers of young age with brains go unnoticed because of their lack of physical ability...which can be developed through their teenage years.

There are far more 'Paul Scholes' types that don't get given a chance...and many more 'Leko' types picked up when young. They see purely their physical attributes at a young age.

Leko frustrates the hell out of me...it's not because he's young...there are many kids his age and younger that have football brains. He's miles behind in his development mentally imo.

Like someone else pointed out...for every moment of 'wizardry' it more often than not ends up with him losing the ball, us under pressure again, out of shape, and on the back foot.

Harsh...maybe...but I see nothing I like in him as a footballer. He can kick, run and drop his shoulder at pace...unless he has some kind of mental eureka moment, he'll end up at somewhere like Peterborough imo.

Archived