IGNORED

Leko

BCFC Rich

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Having a turn of pace and feet like lightening and an ability to beat your man is fantastic...but if you haven't got a football brain, it's pointless.

It's a bit like those people that can keep a football up forever, with fantastic tricks...but does that make them good footballers?

I haven't seen one positive in him as a footballer yet.

Some fans seem to think that  having what I highlighted in my first sentence is 'exciting'. It's purely physical.

What you want at 17/18 yo, is players that already have good brains and understand football.

Imo...he's been one of those lucky kids that some scout has seen his physical attributes and ignored the rest. He's lucked out imo.

So many talented footballers of young age with brains go unnoticed because of their lack of physical ability...which can be developed through their teenage years.

There are far more 'Paul Scholes' types that don't get given a chance...and many more 'Leko' types picked up when young. They see purely their physical attributes at a young age.

Leko frustrates the hell out of me...it's not because he's young...there are many kids his age and younger that have football brains. He's miles behind in his development mentally imo.

Like someone else pointed out...for every moment of 'wizardry' it more often than not ends up with him losing the ball, us under pressure again, out of shape, and on the back foot.

Harsh...maybe...but I see nothing I like in him as a footballer. He can kick, run and drop his shoulder at pace...unless he has some kind of mental eureka moment, he'll end up at somewhere like Peterborough imo.

he reminds me of a better Jordan Wynter Spud, his talent is undoubted but I don't think he will ever for-fill it, I think at te end of his contract he will make a good living as a league two conference player, I've seen nothing from him to change my mind or thats he's good enough for the championship,

thats not to say he can't learn,

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

Having a turn of pace and feet like lightening and an ability to beat your man is fantastic...but if you haven't got a football brain, it's pointless.

It's a bit like those people that can keep a football up forever, with fantastic tricks...but does that make them good footballers?

Some fans seem to think that  having what I highlighted in my first sentence is 'exciting'. It's purely physical.

What you want at 17/18 yo, is players that already have good brains and understand football.

Imo...he's been one of those lucky kids that some scout has seen his physical attributes and ignored the rest. He's lucked out imo.

So many talented footballers of young age with brains go unnoticed because of their lack of physical ability...which can be developed through their teenage years.

There are far more 'Paul Scholes' types that don't get given a chance...and many more 'Leko' types picked up when young. They see purely their physical attributes at a young age.

Leko frustrates the hell out of me...it's not because he's young...there are many kids his age and younger that have football brains. He's miles behind in his development mentally imo.

Like someone else pointed out...for every moment of 'wizardry' it more often than not ends up with him losing the ball, us under pressure again, out of shape, and on the back foot.

Harsh...maybe...but I see nothing I like in him as a footballer. He can kick, run and drop his shoulder at pace...unless he has some kind of mental eureka moment, he'll end up at somewhere like Peterborough imo.

Decision making can be taught though.....talent can't.

Writing him off at this stage of his career is very premature, with the right coaching I think this boy will go a long way, and like others have said I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature a lot more for us in the second half of the season.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

He is 3 months younger than Freddie Hinds, 6 months younger than Lloyd Kelly and over 2 years younger than Shawn McCoulskey to put it into perspective. 

I know he is frustrating at times and is only here on a loan but he has ability no one else in the teams has. We have seen his ability benefit us a few times. I agree with those that say he is better off the bench. I feel the work rate and where to be defensively is still being worked on and personally I think his last few appearances have shown that. 

I think he could start from time to time especially during this holiday period. Think he is better wide right in a front 3 where he has a bit more cover. Think he will come good for us during the second half of the season. LJ and co are very good at developing players and I think we will see that with every time we see him play. I know he is not the best decision maker but that is why he is on loan. That only gets better with more minutes and different situations. He has always been able to beat players with his agility and strength. He still can but the risk is greater in senior football and he needs to learn when to try it and when to be safe. I am a big fan and he is one I would hope we pursue if we go up. 

Especially if the Baggies drop ( figuratively speaking )  .

:blush:

51 minutes ago, spudski said:

He be a sort of modern day Junior Bent . 

" It's Bent . He must score " 

:doh:

10 hours ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

Beat his man a few times which is great, zero delivery after.

The delivery bit for all players is the low percentage bit,it’s the hardest bit

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I thought he made the difference between us winning and drawing tbh.

Not saying he changed the game with his performance but it just gave us that little bit extra and caused Sheff a bit of a problem.

He got us forward. His dribbling dragged them out of position and created space for out midfielders to knock it about and tire a Utd side full of energy. I’m not saying he was brilliant, but equally on that cameo doesn’t deserve the criticism!

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

A young lad learning his trade, some of the negative comments on this thread could have been, and were, levelled at our other young players when they first arrived.

If some people haven't learned yet that it takes time to get some of these youngsters up to speed, it's a bit of a surprise considering this years development.

Yep. He’s 18 too. He is a bit “press his head down and watch him run”, and I can imagine he’s dominated junior football. You must question WBA too. Have they just let his physical prowess compensate too much for his technical deficiencies. Still got chance to right these, maybe coming here was part of that?

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don’t think you’re off mark with a lot of your post, but I think he’s showed a few flashes, typical of the type of footballer he is. As per above I think he’s been let down by WBA and even himself. 

Spoke to him yesterday, certainly doesn’t come across as arrogant, that City are beneath him, totally the opposite in fact. Just need to accept he’s young, but at 18 he has time, if inclined to, to remedy some of the thinks he lacks. 

4 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Decision making can be taught though.....talent can't.

Writing him off at this stage of his career is very premature, with the right coaching I think this boy will go a long way, and like others have said I wouldn't be surprised to see him feature a lot more for us in the second half of the season.

I agree...but you have to have an understanding to start with. He's not a 'natural' footballer imo. He's miles behind in his footballing understanding.

What do you call 'talent'? Pace, fast feet, dropping of shoulder? Many can do that.

Look at Adomah and Boalaise we we had them...miles ahead of Leko, and they came from Barnet not WBA. Raw physical talent, but at least they understood to a degree.

I can't remember seeing a player in the Championship who runs with his head down so much. And when losing the ball...getting frustrated, stopping, then catching his thought and sprinting like a mad man to get back...head back like road runner...it's bloody comical.

He's no footballer imo.

Watch our academy kids and they all have a better understanding than him.

It frustrates the hell out of me, that someone with such physical attributes at such a young age is seen as positive over a footballing brain.

You can teach as much as you like...if they haven't got a brain that understands, then it's like talking to a brick wall. His understanding is miles off....even at his age.

11 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Not for me. He doesn't work hard enough at all. Again nearly cost us in last two games when coming on and don't get me started on Fulham away. Was like having 10 men. Undoubtedly has talent but needs to work harder. One decent game v Derby.  

He was brilliant at Wolves.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree...but you have to have an understanding to start with. He's not a 'natural' footballer imo. He's miles behind in his footballing understanding.

What do you call 'talent'? Pace, fast feet, dropping of shoulder? Many can do that.

Look at Adomah and Boalaise we we had them...miles ahead of Leko, and they came from Barnet not WBA. Raw physical talent, but at least they understood to a degree.

I can't remember seeing a player in the Championship who runs with his head down so much. And when losing the ball...getting frustrated, stopping, then catching his thought and sprinting like a mad man to get back...head back like road runner...it's bloody comical.

He's no footballer imo.

Watch our academy kids and they all have a better understanding than him.

It frustrates the hell out of me, that someone with such physical attributes at such a young age is seen as positive over a footballing brain.

You can teach as much as you like...if they haven't got a brain that understands, then it's like talking to a brick wall. His understanding is miles off....even at his age.

Traore?

I think people are forgetting he's not our player. He's raw now, and he will be raw at the end of the season albeit slightly more accomplished, when he returns to his parent club.

Right now, he's not ready and he's far too inconsistent. Next season he won't be here, so there's not really any point in us playing/developing him. As selfish as it sounds, it's a business and only W. Brom/Leko would be benefiting. 

1 hour ago, Bryans Left Peg said:

I think people are forgetting he's not our player. He's raw now, and he will be raw at the end of the season albeit slightly more accomplished, when he returns to his parent club.

Right now, he's not ready and he's far too inconsistent. Next season he won't be here, so there's not really any point in us playing/developing him. As selfish as it sounds, it's a business and only W. Brom/Leko would be benefiting. 

Can't say I disagree with much of that, which begs the question, as I have mentioned previously, why did we take him on loan?

I am sure there will be a loan fee to pay and a % of his wages which, despite his youth, will not be insignificant.

This is a strange one in my opinion OR is there a bigger picture to all of this, which may now be obsolete given the change of management at WBA.

He is raw but West Brom regard him very highly. What people do not realise is that they have an excellent academy; it's actually right next to the ground and is a very modern Cat A.

In places, I think Leko has showed some excellent technical ability. He is eighteen years old and has a long way to go, but even a couple of seasons ago he had some excellent games in the first team, including against a relatively strong Liverpool side. I was really excited when he came here, although obviously some performances have been disappointing. He is only with us now as West Brom took the last minute opportunity to sign Oliver Burke. As he gets drilled into how we operate (and there are already a few elements of this apparent in the last few games), I think he can be very effective and will develop his footballing mind. He really affected the United game when he came on; even if it didn't come off a few times he stretched the tired defenders out of position which was crucial in the moments leading up to the winner.

I can't help but feel that writing him off now is a bit silly, to be honest. I would have been instantly envious had any other team in this league landed him on loan. I happen to think he has the potential to be a Premier League level player, and I have seen him a few times when watching games with my Baggie mate. We were spoiled last year with probably one of the best loan signings made in English football in recent times; sadly not everyone will be like God.

2 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

He is raw but West Brom regard him very highly. What people do not realise is that they have an excellent academy; it's actually right next to the ground and is a very modern Cat A.

In places, I think Leko has showed some excellent technical ability. He is eighteen years old and has a long way to go, but even a couple of seasons ago he had some excellent games in the first team, including against a relatively strong Liverpool side. I was really excited when he came here, although obviously some performances have been disappointing. He is only with us now as West Brom took the last minute opportunity to sign Oliver Burke. As he gets drilled into how we operate (and there are already a few elements of this apparent in the last few games), I think he can be very effective and will develop his footballing mind. He really affected the United game when he came on; even if it didn't come off a few times he stretched the tired defenders out of position which was crucial in the moments leading up to the winner.

I can't help but feel that writing him off now is a bit silly, to be honest. I would have been instantly envious had any other team in this league landed him on loan. I happen to think he has the potential to be a Premier League level player, and I have seen him a few times when watching games with my Baggie mate. We were spoiled last year with probably one of the best loan signings made in English football in recent times; sadly not everyone will be like God.

most people haven't written him off, most are saying he isn't good enough for a start,

With our (many, many) important injuries I’d start him on Saturday. I know about his faults but I struggle to look past his raw ability. If he lost us the game I’d happily hold my hands up and say I’m wrong but I think he’d do more good than bad. I’d go: 

FF

Wright       Flint      Baker     Bryan

Leko       Pack     Brownhill    Pato 

Reid       Woodrow

Archived