IGNORED

Gus' is back - Players Xmas visit to CHSW (Merged)

Lanterne Rouge

I saw the article on the OS earlier and PW did a feature on their visit today. What always comes across to me is how much the players are genuinely enjoying it, there`s nothing forced or any sense that they don`t want to be there. It must mean the world to a these kids to meet their heroes.

I bet I wasn`t the only one to have something in my eye when they did the bit about the little lad who had the liver transplant either.

Well done to everyone involved. @Davefevs, I guess you were there as usual mate?

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I saw the article on the OS earlier and PW did a feature on their visit today. What always comes across to me is how much the players are genuinely enjoying it, there`s nothing forced or any sense that they don`t want to be there. It must mean the world to a these kids to meet their heroes.

I bet I wasn`t the only one to have something in my eye when they did the bit about the little lad who had the liver transplant either.

Well done to everyone involved. @Davefevs, I guess you were there as usual mate?

Puts my faith back in football when I see the players do this sort of thing, must say that this seems quite a regular thing with our football club which is great to see

28 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Luke Steele

Struggling with the cold since returning from Greece, hence the scarf.  Can see him wearing it over his jersey on Wednesday v Man Utd.

Got to say, having seen him in his signing interview, and now spoken with him, he is a very articulate fella.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Nice to see Eros hasn't gone off to warmer climes to recuperate and isn't that Fammy next to Jamie mac?

Gallery image

It probably isn't but I'm stuffed if I know who it is! Good to see Gustav too! 

Who's the guy with the scarf?

How miserable does Gus look mind! You'd think he'd feel more at home after the ******* BALTIC weather.

7 hours ago, cityred exile said:

Good to view the photos on BCFC website , the players at the childrens hospis  ,   As far as I could see only two players missing     But Great to see Gus Engvall  back    (although dosnt  look to happy about it )   check it out !

Is he any good thus time, I only ask because the last one was a bit rubbish really. 

Bizarrely, Gus went onto play professional football for 10 years after he left Ashton Gate when most of us thought he should’ve packed it up there and then. 

There’s also a little bit about him in Nick Hornby’s novel Fever Pitch (which I’ve just lifted straight from Wiki)

Arsenal fan Nick Hornby in his 1992 book Fever Pitch muses on Caesar's downfall, pointing out that Caesar had considerable talent as a youth (or else Arsenal would have never signed him in the first place). Likening it to his own frustrations as a (then) failed writer, Hornby concluded that talent and determination alone were not enough to bring about success:

"To get where he did, Gus Caesar clearly had more talent than nearly everyone of his generation... and it still wasn't quite enough. [...] Gus must have known he was good, just as any pop band who has ever played the Marquee know they are destined for Madison Square Garden and an NME front cover, and just as any writer who has sent off a completed manuscript to Faber and Faber knows that he is two years away from the Booker. You trust that feeling with your life, you feel the strength and determination it gives you coursing through your veins like heroin... and it doesn't mean anything at all.

Wiki also states that Gus was voted worst ever Gooner and furthermore, came 3rd in the top 50 of worst players ever to play professional football. 

But as Nick Hornby says He was a probably darn sight better than any of us lot. 

9 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Jeez. When I saw the thread title, I thought you meant Gus Caesar.

Me too. I consoled myself with the thought that he can't be back as a player as he must be well past it now. Then the horrific thought occurred to me that there is an exception in his case as he never had it in the first place to be able to be well past it now! Phew, what a relief.

10 hours ago, cityred exile said:

Good to view the photos on BCFC website , the players at the childrens hospis  ,   As far as I could see only two players missing     But Great to see Gus Engvall  back    (although dosnt  look to happy about it )   check it out !

Don't know if it's the 1st visit to the hospis for Gus but he might be finding it a bit difficult or overwelming.

24 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Don't know if it's the 1st visit to the hospis for Gus but he might be finding it a bit difficult or overwelming.

Was there last year. For some it is a difficult situation. Even experienced pros last year looked uncomfortable.   I think that is Gus smiling, he’s not one to show emotion, quite a serious guy. Check out the pre- season videos!

20 minutes ago, phantom said:

Was LJ there?

Yep. 

Archived