IGNORED

Jim Brennan City and Forest former player location

Never to the dark side

He did an online Q&A last year that was shared on OTIB - has left quite a legacy in Canada by all accounts.

While over in Marseille last year, a couple of mates and I had been to see Iceland v Hungary &, after a few sherberts, donning our recently acquired Iceland shirts we decided to pretend we were Icelandic. Armed with horrendous Scandinavian accents and a couple of quickly translated phrases; we convinced (amongst others), a group of Canadian lads, that we were in fact native Icelanders. I nearly lost myself and just blurred out “Jim Brennan” in the hope one of them had heard of him - only one of them had, but he described him as “like the god father of Canadian football” to his pals. These guys were over for the Euros and were definitely ‘soccer’ fans but safe to say, he’s left his mark on 33% of the Canadian football fans I’ve met. 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

That must be an interesting story, how does a Canadian who spent most of his working career on England end up Managing a Guatemalan team?

Apparently Aurora FC are a Canadian lower league team based in Aurora, Ontario (population about 55k - Weston SM being 75k!). Not sure if that means the standard is better or worse?

4 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Psycho was before Brennan surely?

Whereas in Bristol we had a left back factory: Martin Scott, Dareen Baranrd, Jim Brennan.

Mickey Bell, Jamie McAllister and now of course our Joe. The next off the assembly line is Lloyd Kelly perhaps?

Why have we been so blessed with left backs when virtually all our right backs have been mediocre (bar Bradley) in recent years.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Mickey Bell, Jamie McAllister and now of course our Joe. The next off the assembly line is Lloyd Kelly perhaps?

Why have we been so blessed with left backs when virtually all our right backs have been mediocre (bar Bradley) in recent years.

Martin Scott too, and Darren Barnard

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Adam Locke had his moments!

4 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

My theory is that nobody gets blessed with right backs. If you’re a skilled left footer you almost always end up left back or left wing. If you’re a skilled right footer you can end up anywhere apart from those two positions (or GK).

So the right back is often the worst skilled right footed player. Unless converted into a RB by a decent manager. 

I still maintain Cole Skuse would have been a great right back. 

10 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Psycho was before Brennan surely?

Whereas in Bristol we had a left back factory: Martin Scott, Dareen Baranrd, Jim Brennan.

6 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

And don't forget Matty Hill. 5ft 7in in his socks, but could still

out-jump most 6ft 6in attackers. I always thought he had springs in his boots. Last I heard, he was still playing, for Bradford Park Avenue.

1 hour ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

My theory is that nobody gets blessed with right backs. If you’re a skilled left footer you almost always end up left back or left wing. If you’re a skilled right footer you can end up anywhere apart from those two positions (or GK).

So the right back is often the worst skilled right footed player. Unless converted into a RB by a decent manager. 

I disagree. As a youth, I was a skilful, naturally right footed, defender, that played at county and regional levels, at both right and left back. When I was regularly being selected as a left back,  I taught myself to kick almost as well with my left foot as I did with my right.

4 hours ago, Red Tel said:

I disagree. As a youth, I was a skilful, naturally right footed, defender, that played at county and regional levels, at both right and left back. When I was regularly being selected as a left back,  I taught myself to kick almost as well with my left foot as I did with my right.

Fair enough. And i stress I’m not saying right backs are talentless or that this applies to all RBs.

But it does seem to me that people who start out as right backs often change position a little more often than those in other positions.

The ones who are great defenders often find themselves pushed into more of a CB or CM role (eg Carey, P Neville), and those who are great attackers get moved into a more dynamic role (eg Murray, Gerrard). 

8 hours ago, Tom Fleuriot said:

And if you’re the only left footer, you end up playing as a wing back. :gaah:

On 12/13/2017 at 10:25, solihull cider red said:

He did an online Q&A last year that was shared on OTIB - has left quite a legacy in Canada by all accounts.

While over in Marseille last year, a couple of mates and I had been to see Iceland v Hungary &, after a few sherberts, donning our recently acquired Iceland shirts we decided to pretend we were Icelandic. Armed with horrendous Scandinavian accents and a couple of quickly translated phrases; we convinced (amongst others), a group of Canadian lads, that we were in fact native Icelanders. I nearly lost myself and just blurred out “Jim Brennan” in the hope one of them had heard of him - only one of them had, but he described him as “like the god father of Canadian football” to his pals. These guys were over for the Euros and were definitely ‘soccer’ fans but safe to say, he’s left his mark on 33% of the Canadian football fans I’ve met. 

I am originally from Bristol but have lived in Ontario for 30+ years. Jim Brennan is known to more than 33% of Canadians who know their Footie. Jim played for the Canada national team for many years and played for Toronto FC. Check out "Toronto FC TFC goal Brennan" on youtube. He scored a fantastic free kick goal in what I believe was his final year for TFC before he became Assistant Coach for TFC. 

Nice Icelandic story though. 

Back in the day remember it was this guy that changed my attitude towards footballers and the way us fans judge players.

My memory ain’t great, but Brennan stuck in my mind vividly in terms of how a player can markedly improve from one season to the next. Remember Jim being a steady average player one season, but when he came out the following season looked a completely different player, making a massive improvement. Couldn’t believe it was the same player. Taught me that players, both mentally and physically, mature at different ages. Still one of the best players I’ve seen in a city shirt in the last thirty years.

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Was it him who signed a new contract just before leaving us so we could get more money for him?

I believe that was Darren Barnard, he was still with us when we signed Mickey Bell and I think everyone realised what was going to happen at that point.

Archived