IGNORED

Priority Poll - Forest or Manchester?

And Its Smith

Priority Poll - Forest or Man Utd?  

478 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I honestly think playing the stronger side against Forest and QPR and resting players against Man Utd could be the difference between winning 2 and losing 1 or winning 1 and losing 2. Every point could be vital at the end of the season.

It's cynical and it's not very romantic but I'd prioritise a viable run at the Premier League over a win in a cup quarter final. If we do beat United, my view changes completely and I'd want us to go all out for the semi-finals as a chance at a final is not to be sniffed at but a Man Utd result is pleasant but meaningless if we get walloped in a semi-final instead. Plus, by the semi-finals, we will hopefully have some players back and added to the squad. 

Don't get me wrong - I hate the fact we have to prioritise and it is ludicrous how congested fixture schedules get at this time but they are what they are and I'd value being pragmatic over being sentimental. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I honestly think playing the stronger side against Forest and QPR and resting players against Man Utd could be the difference between winning 2 and losing 1 or winning 1 and losing 2. Every point could be vital at the end of the season.

It's cynical and it's not very romantic but I'd prioritise a viable run at the Premier League over a win in a cup quarter final. If we do beat United, my view changes completely and I'd want us to go all out for the semi-finals as a chance at a final is not to be sniffed at but a Man Utd result is pleasant but meaningless if we get walloped in a semi-final instead. Plus, by the semi-finals, we will hopefully have some players back and added to the squad. 

Don't get me wrong - I hate the fact we have to prioritise and it is ludicrous how congested fixture schedules get at this time but they are what they are and I'd value being pragmatic over being sentimental. 

Respect your view but one question... was the Liverpool win meaningless?

Tough one, but I've voted that I'd rather beat Manchester. It would be a memorable win akin to Leeds in the 70s and Liverpool in 1994. We're due another famous win.

19 minutes ago, Ian M said:

That's another question entirely. Would you rather win the League Cup but miss out on promotion or lose in the cup but guarantee promotion to the Prem.

Europa League (and a first major trophy on our honour's list) or Premier League. 

To the original poll question I think I'd have chosen win against Man U if the Forest choice was then draw. 

Another tough one. I think I'd have to go with winning the cup (obviously followed by winning the Europa League and then promotion next season). 

Rather refreshing that given we're about the play arguably the biggest team in the world, that most fans would rather have 3 points against Forrest. Kinda takes the pressure off against Manchester meaning that we have an even better chance of sticking it up 'em.

I'm aware that the elephant in the room is that if we fail to win against Forrest, it changes things, but I would imagine that most would then prefer is three points against QPR. 

I'd also agree with those who say that the Carabao Cup has slipped right down the list of important things to win in football. But for the two clubs playing, Manchester need this a lot more than we do. It may well be the only thing they could win this season. 

Up the City, in so many ways.

Forest all day long if it could only be one. 3 points can (and historically has) been enough difference between automatic promotion and playoffs / playoffs or not / survival or relegation ... so ‘easy to make up three points’ is a very dangerous attitude IMO. 

Of course I hope it can be both! 

I voted Man U just to wind up my plastic Man U fan brother who's only been to Old Trafford once and that was a stadium tour...

Ideal world, 3 points v Forest and a win over the Mancs. Will sacrifice a Rovers shirt to the Football Gods at the altar of John Atyeo's feet if it helps.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Why is everyone called Man United 'Manchester' when they get annoyed when we are called Bristol?  Or is it irony....

Isn’t  the next stage of the Elk Cup 2 legged?  Can’t see us getting through that to the final.  League for me.

Forest is priority but we have to take both matches seriously. I would rest some for Forest and maybe even play a young player or two. Possibly rest Bryan for Mags and maybe get Bakinson in with Brownhill and Pack. Rest Korey Smith, Joe Bryan and bobby reid. 

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Mags

Pack

Brownhill Bakinson

Leko.                              Pato

Taylor or Woodrow

433. Possibly a gamble but I would still feel confident in getting 3 points. 

Then on Wednesday

Steele

Wright Flint Baker Bryan

Brownhill Pack Smith Eliasson

Reid Paterson

Gives us a chance in both matches and utilises the sqaud some. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Forest is priority but we have to take both matches seriously. I would rest some for Forest and maybe even play a young player or two. Possibly rest Bryan for Mags and maybe get Bakinson in with Brownhill and Pack. Rest Korey Smith, Joe Bryan and bobby reid. 

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Mags

Pack

Brownhill Bakinson

Leko.                              Pato

Taylor or Woodrow

433. Possibly a gamble but I would still feel confident in getting 3 points. 

Then on Wednesday

Steele

Wright Flint Baker Bryan

Brownhill Pack Smith Eliasson

Reid Paterson

Gives us a chance in both matches and utilises the sqaud some. 

Think it'll be really interesting who LJ starts in goal against Manchester. Steele has been playing the cup games and is part of the team that got us this far, but Fielding is arguably the better keeper, and has been in top form. He'll get slated either way if one of them makes a mistake.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Football is about memories for me.  The Chelsea FA cup win, the Liverpool draw and then win.  Great moments.  We are a few days away from potentially another one and everyone would rather beat Forest at home. 

If we want to seen as a bigger club in the future then we need to playing the likes of the mancs , Liverpool etc every season. The Liverpool cup game , Chelsea etc were great but only as a small club punching above our weight . Beat forest. 

It's a tough one as many other have said, but this is the best cup run we've had for years, if we do the unthinkable and beat Man U, we're 3 games from Europe. How often have we been able to say that?

Watching City in European competition would be the absolute pinnacle for me. Just think of the away days.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Football is about memories for me.  The Chelsea FA cup win, the Liverpool draw and then win.  Great moments.  We are a few days away from potentially another one and everyone would rather beat Forest at home. 

I'm with you on this one RedDave.  I know the pragmatic choice is to say Forest, but I can't resist the thought of beating Manchester United at home, with a two-legged semi final to follow, and the possibility of a major cup final - albeit a slim chance.

The way I look at it is, we could quite conceivably lose to Forest and still be promoted.  It's 1/46th of a season and we will lose more games at some point this season.

But if we lose to United, we can't make the semi finals, we can't then make the final, we can't then win the League Cup, we can't then qualify for the Europa League, we can't then win the Europa league, we can't then qualify for the Champions League, we can't then win the Champions League, we can't then qualify for the World Club Championships, and we can't then win the World Club Championships.

So basically what I'm saying is, if you're happy for us not to win the World Club Championships, vote Forest.

Man Utd every time. Sick of being reminded by friends or colleagues that my club has never won a meaningful major trophy and has only ever reached one final (and, I believe without double checking, four semi finals). A two-legged semi final in January would be a huge event, would raise the profile of the club considerably, and might make us a more attractive proposition to potential transfer targets for the January transfer window. But above all it would keep us in with a chance (albeit a slim one) of reaching our first ever major final at Wembley. 

15 or so years ago we were scrambling to get out of the third tier alongside Cardiff, Stoke, Wigan and Millwall - all of whom have since gone on to play in at least one major final (as have Bradford). It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that we could do the same, and this is the closest we’ve come for the best part of 30 years. Next Wednesday is a far bigger game for me than Forest on Saturday. 

Respect your view but one question... was the Liverpool win meaningless?

In a wider sense, yes. It's a brilliant memory, of course, and  those are part of the experience of supporting a team. And most seasons this is exactly the sort of thing I'd love and want to win. 

But I think the difference with Liverpool was:

a) the FA cup has a bit more cache.

b) we were having a bit of a dead-end season and it was a welcome highlight.

c) There were not the same issues with fixture pile-up and injuries.

Don't get me wrong - I don't want us to lose any games but ultimately I fear we just cannot put our strongest team out for every game over the coming weeks and, at least going into Forest, the players have had a week's rest whereas - after United - they only have three days to recover. And I think in this division small margins - that 1% or 2% of fitness - really, really matter and can really influence results. What it ultimately comes down to me is:

a) would I feel more gutted if we lost to United?

or

b) would I feel more gutted if we missed out on the play-offs by a point? And it is the latter for me by far. Still bloody excited about the United game, mind!

Really?  You see going away to Liverpool and winning as meaningless?  Amazed that anyone would think that.  Probably our most famous and best win for last 20 years 

Which is exactly why 3 points towards promotion would be a lot better for us than a win against Man U!

29 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Man Utd every time. Sick of being reminded by friends or colleagues that my club has never won a meaningful major trophy and has only ever reached one final (and, I believe without double checking, four semi finals). A two-legged semi final in January would be a huge event, would raise the profile of the club considerably, and might make us a more attractive proposition to potential transfer targets for the January transfer window. But above all it would keep us in with a chance (albeit a slim one) of reaching our first ever major final at Wembley. 

15 or so years ago we were scrambling to get out of the third tier alongside Cardiff, Stoke, Wigan and Millwall - all of whom have since gone on to play in at least one major final (as have Bradford). It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that we could do the same, and this is the closest we’ve come for the best part of 30 years. Next Wednesday is a far bigger game for me than Forest on Saturday. 

Quote from John Candy’s character in Cool Runnings “ If you’re not enough without it, you’ll never be enough with it. 

Archived