IGNORED

Priority Poll - Forest or Manchester?

And Its Smith

Priority Poll - Forest or Man Utd?  

478 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, EmersonsRed said:

What if we finish 2 points behind 2nd? I know at the end of the season we won't be able to look back and say "if only we'd have beaten Forest" but the question is not in hindsight, it's the future... We have to surely choose league over anything right now. 

I change the question: if we had, say, Swansea in the cup and Forest in the league. Would it still be the same percentage, or do people just care because it's United?

League over everything. We have a genuine chance of playing United twice more in the next 18 months if we keep winning league games 

If we finished 2 behind 2nd then losing to struggling Brum or drawing against Millwall and Burton would still be bigger bugbears than losing to a side fighting for the playoffs.

3 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I didn't add any caveats, you added them yourself.

I pointed out that losing one league match wouldn't cost us promotion as there are 45 other ones, so with all due respect, don't bullshit to try and backtrack out of what was said.

Jeeezus... Its an either or question. No you placed the caveats and you have done it again here... We are talking about one or the other. What part of Reds question is unclear? And no need to debase the discussion. I only replied again because you did. But thats it for me.

Just now, havanatopia said:

Jeeezus... Its an either or question. No you placed the caveats and you have done it again here... We are talking about 1 or the other. What part of Reds question is unclear? And no need to debase the discussion. I only replied again because you did. But thats it for me.

I added no caveats at all, if you think I have then you clearly have zero understanding of what a caveat is.

Please, educate yourself in future.

3 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

What if we finish 2 points behind 2nd? I know at the end of the season we won't be able to look back and say "if only we'd have beaten Forest" but the question is not in hindsight, it's the future... We have to surely choose league over anything right now. 

I change the question: if we had, say, Swansea in the cup and Forest in the league. Would it still be the same percentage, or do people just care because it's United?

League over everything. We have a genuine chance of playing United twice more in the next 18 months if we keep winning league games 

Do people hold our cup wins against Stockport or Kettering in the same regard as that night at Anfield..? Of course it’s because we are talking about the option of beating Man Utd..! 

If we miss promotion by 2 points then it will be down to any dropped points, not the Forest ones alone, so unless you are expecting us to take maximum points between now and the end of the season, then you wouldn’t take the deal..?

Perhaps I’d think differently if the question had been “lose to Forest and miss out on promotion by 2 points, to Forest..!” Now that might be different!!

I chose Manchester back when there were just two of us fighting the good fight.

Many of the reasons have already been discussed, and I also agree it’s tough to choose (mainly because we don’t actually have to, do we? We’re gonna win the next 3) but it ultimately comes down to each result’s importance within their own context.

Lose v Forest: CONTEXT - Promotion Push

• We’ll miss out on 3 points, but will be left - at worst - in 5th place, with a 4 point cushion to 7th.
  • The possibility of promotion will still exist.

Lose v Manchester: CONTEXT - Cup Contenders

• We’ll miss out on our first cup semi-final in a generation (two generations?).
  • The possibility of winning the cup will no longer exist.

It’s the complete loss of an opportunity versus the remaining opportunity that swings it for me. There are so many different paths to promotion; there is just this one path to cup success.

Even those saying that they’ll blame the draws against Burton & Millwall if we were to miss out on promotion... We didn’t expect to beat Reading away, or come back against Hull, so switch those results around and no-one would be bemoaning the dropped points. In a sense, we’ve “earned a loss” against a team like Forest. Much like we lost against Preston and everyone thought it was awful but a few weeks later we're in 3rd and people are talking about prioritising the next league game so that we, seemingly, will guarantee promotion or something.

This idea that promotion hinges on one game is what results in those over the top post-match reactions (win or lose). In the same breath as people are saying “a team proves themselves over a whole season”, it’s also being said that “we must win this game to not throw away promotion”.

And it’s nothing to do with it being Manchester. I’d want to win a cup quarter-final be it Liverpool, Bournemouth, Wigan, or Truro City. It’s a bleeding cup quarter-final!

Also, I’m not sure which “major cup” people want us to win which won’t involve beating a couple of great teams in the semi and the final, as apparently a reason to not win this is because we won’t win the semi and the final, but if the choice were “win the cup or win promotion” they’d choose the cup... I don’t follow.

Ultimately, though, it’s a non-existent choice, upon which nothing depends, and I won’t be putting the slightest bit of thought or time into responding.

Oops.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:03, Wanderingred said:

In any case, I don't think that one game will affect the other too much. We are used to playing Saturday then again midweek. I think LJ will prioritise both and put out his strongest possible team for both games.

It's the QPR game I'm more worried about. Less than 72 hours later.. the lads are going to be utterly shattered and who knows what other knocks we may have picked up after 180 more minutes. Really think we could come unstuck there.

my fears exactly  although in fairness do we ever get anything at QPR? NO  so lets get the away defeat out of the way   even if it is against  skeletor !

Has to be Manchester all day long for me. As many have said a win against Forest could mean nothing in the long run.

It's not just beating the loathsome Mancs it's what could possibly follow. Our third semi final appearance in the league cup (third time lucky)

Of coarse we might then draw the main Manchester team and get hammered like every other side they play this season.

But it seems that this time were at the start of a journey with this young and hungry squad and this season unlike the last time we were in this position were not going to fade away.  If were not lucky enough this season can't see any reason we won't challenge next.

If you have confidence that were going to have more than one hit at promotion, witch I have, then wouldn't it be fantastic to take them ******* out next week and what ever happened after those of you still around in 20,30 years time will still be talking about it.

COYR.

Archived