IGNORED

transfer clarification

Rocking Red Cyril

with our obvious need for injury cover and position improvement it would seem to me we need certain new players asap in the Jan. window. Therefore it would seem likely that transfer/s are ready to go from Jan 1st. I would be hoping that MA/ LJ already or are close to having these sorted or it would seem bit unguarded.

4 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

with our obvious need for injury cover and position improvement it would seem to me we need certain new players asap in the Jan. window. Therefore it would seem likely that transfer/s are ready to go from Jan 1st. I would be hoping that MA/ LJ already or are close to having these sorted or it would seem bit unguarded.

no one will know untill the signing is through the door, MA and LJ won't give anything away nore will they want to show their hand,

we've got players coming back in jan

Just now, Rocking Red Cyril said:

yes but I worry about players reaching match fitness and form 

Fammy is back he won't play as he's trying to reach match fitness, he'll hit tat around jan,

We need a defensive and attacking central midfielder and a right back but let the management team do their job, they've not let us down for a long time now so I doubt they will this jan, any jan transfer would of been in the pipe line since the summer imo 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Fammy is back he won't play as he's trying to reach match fitness, he'll hit tat around jan,

We need a defensive and attacking central midfielder and a right back but let the management team do their job, they've not let us down for a long time now so I doubt they will this jan, any jan transfer would of been in the pipe line since the summer imo 

surely with dujric op on 18th would you not want Fam back asap

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we've got players coming back in jan

Have we?     

Im not so sure.

LJ may feel that despite the long injury list that he has sufficient cover to cope especially as some of the inured players will be returning  in the near future.

I wouldn't be surprised to see very little business in or out in January.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Have we?     

Im not so sure.

LJ may feel that despite the long injury list that he has sufficient cover to cope especially as some of the inured players will be returning  in the near future.

I wouldn't be surprised to see very little business in or out in January.

I have to agree with this, I don't think we will see an awful lot of movement in Jan, I think there will be interest in our players but unless there is movement there then I don't see any significant amount of dealings in Jan.  If we could get them then now would have been the best and most effective time, as all our players return to fitness loans become less effective/important. 

26 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I’m sure we’d want players through the door on 1st Jan, but doing that is another thing. Just like we’ll try to cover bases in our own squad til the end of the window, so will other clubs. 

January is not a great time to sign domestic players.  Very few are out of contract and therefore free agents.  Players who are doing well are often more highly regarded by their existing clubs if promotion/relegation/cup runs are still a possibility.

Maybe we'll follow last year's January pattern and bring in a couple of players from Europe or gamble on a few high-calibre loans.

1 hour ago, ooRya said:

There is absolutely no way that we will be waiting until January to say "right, what do we need" - we are a much more professional outfit these days.

Didn't Lee say that he has already been speaking with one potential signing?

We certainly are far more professional under MA and LJ for sure but if LJ has said that he's been speaking with potential signings then I missed that particular interview.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

We certainly are far more professional under MA and LJ for sure but if LJ has said that he's been speaking with potential signings then I missed that particular interview.

I haven't listened to it myself, but I took that from Hodge's post in the Michelle Owen thread, as below.

https://audioboom.com/posts/6548164-the-lee-johnson-christmas-special

If anyone is interested, Johnson's on for maybe 15-20 minutes, interesting note he's spoken personally to a potential signing already and if we had everyone fit he'd only really want to add 1 player to the squad.

Wouldn't mind seeing someone come in in midfield, a proper harasser and someone who breaks play up in the centre of the park, but I'm not going to worry too much if we're not cracking out the chequebook for anyone. We're looking solid as a team, and have good strength in depth at the moment - the result away to Sheffield United last week demonstrated that.

In terms of players coming back in January - George Dowling's loan will be up, as will McCoulsky's. Wouldn't mind having either of them around as cover for our injury "problem areas". Don't think either of them are necessarily week-in week-out first team level yet, but to have as backup and even if just to blood them properly in the championship would surely be a good thing. Plus, they've both looked good, albeit at a lower league level. 

I can also see Hinds coming back - almost no game time at Cheltenham isn't going to do him much good in terms of progression. 

Question is, given our position is whether we decide to stick or twist. I'm guessing that we're a lot higher than we thought we'd be, especially as there are a number of clubs that have thrown the financial cart and horses at going up this season. As such, we have to twist as no one could guess when we're likely to be in such a position again. January is going to be as interesting as December is. 

Rather enjoying this season. As does everyone.

I`ve said on another thread that my only slight worry if we don`t do a lot is that our injury problems continue into the second half of the season just with different players. Suppose Famara comes back and Bobby gets injured - we`re back to square one and we do seem to be a bit cursed this season.

Also, can someone clarify the `how many clubs can a player play for in a season` issue? I mentioned on the transfer thread that the rumour is that Jota isn`t happy at Birmingham. He`s obviously already played for Brentford this season as well as them so if he signed for another club in January would he be able to play?

It’s a big gamble to rely on those players coming back from injury and not getting a reoccurrence of the injury. The mentality of the club is that they minimise risk and ensure we have cover for all positions. I’m pretty sure that our league position will ensure SL will not sanction any outgoings from the first team squad and he will have already been briefed on targets and what the likely fee and wages will be to land the targets we need. I dare say the recent injuries may have changed the short term strategy and where we may have brought two in we may bring in four but some on loan

The club are in an excellent league position and I am sure no one wants to pass up this opportunity to have a good go at promotion, I would be disappointed if they passed it by

44 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`ve said on another thread that my only slight worry if we don`t do a lot is that our injury problems continue into the second half of the season just with different players. Suppose Famara comes back and Bobby gets injured - we`re back to square one and we do seem to be a bit cursed this season.

Also, can someone clarify the `how many clubs can a player play for in a season` issue? I mentioned on the transfer thread that the rumour is that Jota isn`t happy at Birmingham. He`s obviously already played for Brentford this season as well as them so if he signed for another club in January would he be able to play?

I think the maximum is 3 in a season

13 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

A couple of loans until end of the season should do it. Think we have enough players signed for the club permanently.

Agree with this but if a decent prospect is available like Walsh for example, then we should pursue it. I would be happy for a few loans though. 

13 hours ago, RUSSEL85 said:

A couple of loans until end of the season should do it. Think we have enough players signed for the club permanently.

I think that's the most likely incomings in January. As already mentioned City have a large enough squad already but injuries have depleted it considerably so some loans in to cover.

20 hours ago, Creg said:

In terms of players coming back in January - George Dowling's loan will be up, as will McCoulsky's. Wouldn't mind having either of them around as cover for our injury "problem areas". Don't think either of them are necessarily week-in week-out first team level yet, but to have as backup and even if just to blood them properly in the championship would surely be a good thing. Plus, they've both looked good, albeit at a lower league level

Is Dowling fit? He hasn't even been on the bench recently for Torquay.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Is Dowling fit? He hasn't even been on the bench recently for Torquay.

Back in training as of the start of this month, possibly just building up match fitness? He was starting regularly before he got injured.

Archived