IGNORED

Informative 30 min interview with LJ

spudski

The more I hear, the more I'm impressed. 

He sounds absolutely relentless in his pursuit to get the best out of this club. It was tough last year, but I think we need to start appreciating what a class act we have in charge of our team, and I think many are.

I like how he reacts to questions about last year, there's no sweeping it under the carpet, he is honest about mistakes (overthinking etc.), which indicates he has used it and is still using it as a massive learning curve. 

I like how he talks about always learning, and it sounds like his networking skills are top notch and he has some good friends in football. 

Delighted it's starting to work out, he loves the club and is desperate to succeed here, long may it continue ! 

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

bump. Bloody good interview this.

Indeed it is. 

He  has always spoke well in interviews and the more I listen to him the more he impresses me. He's articulate and a deep thinker about the game and yet he's able to explain some of the more technical aspects of football and management in a simplistic way and that's not easy to do. His command of lay speak is excellent.

The fact that we now hear Macca and Deano mean that when we do hear LJ, it feels fresh.  Last year it was a bit arrogant, repetitive and because regular sometimes contradicted previous interviews, but I think he’s found an ideal balance this season.

I think he’s pretty much won me over! :P

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Indeed it is. 

He  has always spoke well in interviews and the more I listen to him the more he impresses me. He's articulate and a deep thinker about the game and yet he's able to explain some of the more technical aspects of football and management in a simplistic way and that's not easy to do. His command of lay speak is excellent.

Exactly my thoughts. Can see why SL was so struck with him, he seems very intelligent. 

12 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

'David Noble if he had a lifestyle transplant was a top Premier League player'

:clapping:

Noble was a class act and one of the most naturally gifted footballers I've ever seen. 

Chatted to him several times at various events and he was almost embarrassed when I told him that. 

55 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Still not convinced Gregor MacGregor is a real person. Forever expecting our very own Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan and Chris Morris to be behind it all.

In the same bracket as Boaty MacBoatface.

2 minutes ago, Nuno Gomez said:

Couple of things I noticed.  His possible question to Mourinho re managing players with ego - does this relate to his experiences with Tomlin?  Secondly he said he spoke a possible new player whilst in Manchester; this would chime with the rumour re Liam Walsh.

Think it was more about ambition to bring in Premier League level players, plus dealing with young City players having to deal with the spotlight. But I'm sure Tomlin was an eye-opener.

As for young players, he did also say he went to watch Man City U23's playing, so I think there are a few players it could still be. Someone else suggested Harry Wilson of Liverpool too, though I doubt Liverpool would want to let him go permanently yet.

It's the little details that make all the difference in this league.

Who would have thought to check the length of the desso pitch grass at Norwich, and finding at 28mm, that the ball would hold up when played over the top or down the channel for players to run on to?

It's these little things that can make all the difference in how to play and win.

• Admin
19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The fact that we now hear Macca and Deano mean that when we do hear LJ, it feels fresh.  Last year it was a bit arrogant, repetitive and because regular sometimes contradicted previous interviews, but I think he’s found an ideal balance this season.

I think he’s pretty much won me over! :P

It's amazing how less offensive simple remarks are when he's got us third in the league too ;) 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Who would have thought to check the length of the desso pitch grass at Norwich, and finding at 28mm, that the ball would hold up when played over the top or down the channel for players to run on to?

It's these little things that can make all the difference in how to play and win.

That was the part that stood out for me, measuring the grass

Measuring the grass, ffs

This man is determined to do something special, and he's determined to do it at Bristol City. Was an exceptionally brave call by SL to not sack LJ last March / April. Certainly paid off so far. I'm not sure I'd have made the same decision if I was sat in the chair

The other part that stood out, if we had a fully fit squad LJ would want just one player in January. Would be easy to go and spank a lot of money on 3 or 4 to take us over the line, but the man would settle for one. I love that confidence. But, what area would that one signing be? I'd go for an experienced, out and out #10

6 hours ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Think it was more about ambition to bring in Premier League level players, plus dealing with young City players having to deal with the spotlight. But I'm sure Tomlin was an eye-opener.

He was for the Nanny! 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Obviously LJ is a chi[ off the old block.

Think I am right in saying that when at Cambridge GJ used to get the grass left longer at each end of the pitch. They had quick strikers/wingers so that way, when the ball was played over the top and behind the defence, it would hold up in the longer grass for his forwards to pick up.

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

It's amazing how less offensive simple remarks are when he's got us third in the league too ;) 

....and when fans are looking for the positives in everything, instead of the negatives.

2 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Amazing that a man who cares so deeply about the little 1% margins would believe in horoscopes. 

Well the Rovers lot got done by that ‘Feng Shui’ sting so nothing surprises me about the lack of certain scientific rigour in football.

Archived